Anybody gig an inexpensive amp?

wankdeplank

• Members

Played a party last Saturday where we opened for two bands with a whole lot more stage experience. I got some love from some of the musicians for my tone (old Magnatone Custom 413) but the lead player left his tube amps at home (save his back) in favor of a Mustang modeling amp which didn't really cut through (mix issues). At one rehearsal I used a Solid State DOD that didn't cut it at high volume. At another I used my Peavey Red Stripe Bandit which would have worked fine - lots of power and clean headroom. Not saying the Bandit would have sounded as good as the Maggy but it sure impressed me with it's tone and the other guys were certainly fine with it. Got a cheapy you feel alright playing out with?

• Members

I buy most of my gear used and save hundreds in the process. Some of my least expensive amps are actually high end stuff so I'd have to substitute the term value, in place of amp cost.

For a lower end budget amp, I have an older Peavey Studio Pro which is likely the lowest wattage amp I'd try and gig with. It probably cost a couple of hundred new back in the day. I Paid $25 for the head which came mounted in a small Marshall combo cab. I bought a 10"Jensen Mod for $30 on sale that could handle the wattage safely.

The amp has channel switching but I'm not a fan of the drive tones. I use the clean channel and use drive pedals instead. Still need to scrounge up a reverb unit for it but that wont cost much. The amp would probably sound better with a 12" for some extra bass response. For $55 I cant complain. Its plenty loud and even if the tone isn't the best I can shape its response well enough using various pedals.

I do like the fact its super light and compact. Something I've had to focus on when I switched from driving a Pickup Truck to a Mustang which has limited trunk space.

• Members

A pair of small fender amps like 2Pro Jr. or a Pro Jr. and a 1964/5 Pr total for all 3 $410.00 . !st Pro Jr. $80 Tweed with Blue Alnico speaker the 2nd PJ was $ 260 with a Eminence speaker up grade 3rd PR $80 had to replace the reverb Tank and it was fitted with a 12" speaker so I put A Altec 417 in it.

• Members

Gotta love a good no maintenance lightweight amp like that. I mean besides Roland, has anybody made a better Solid State (not talking about modeling amps). The only objection I have to the Bandit is that it's actually kinda heavy. Might have to have some casters put on it like my Mesa Heartbreaker.

• Members
A pair of small fender amps like 2Pro Jr. or a Pro Jr. and a 1964/5 Pr total for all 3 $410.00 . !st Pro Jr. $80 Tweed with Blue Alnico speaker the 2nd PJ was $ 260 with a Eminence speaker up grade 3rd PR $80 had to replace the reverb Tank and it was fitted with a 12" speaker so I put A Altec 417 in it.

Love those. I've got one which I've modded for harp use with a different preamp tube. Hadn't considered it for a live situation on guitar cause I'm new to micing. Still, I agree that it's a wonderful amp with a really excellent clean tone for single coil guitars.

• Members
. . . My Bandmate plays a Frontman 65R. Sounds great.

That's my amp as well (actually I have the FM65R, it doesn't say "Frontman" on it but it's essentially the same amp), the one that's "too loud" for worship even with an attenuator box. I bought it used with a bum reverb tank, which I replaced. Love the light weight (32 lbs.).

. . . For a lower end budget amp' date=' I have an older Peavey Studio Pro which is likely the lowest wattage amp I'd try and gig with. . . .[/quote']

Which Studio Pro is it? The original was a 40 Watt with a 10". The later version was 65 Watts with a 12".

• Members

I don't feel like my Bandit colors the tone at all, although I would have to admit that it does sound a little different than a tube amp would. I guess it sounds a little more country and a little less rock n roll if that makes sense. It works well with pedals and I swear by that transtube technology.

Not to dicker but some might consider the Roland an inexpensive amp as it is not tube but rather a simulation.

• Members

From the responses, Frontman and Super Champ, think I need to check out a solid state Fender some time. Harder and harder to come by I imagine. Nowadays everything is modeling and after last Saturday (17th) I'm not convinced that a Mustang can hang in a live situation.

• Members
No' date=' since I don't like cheap amps that color the tone of the guitar.[/quote']

I know what you mean give or take but guitars don't make tone without the amp.Oh well...

I don't gig although I have used a Sansamp live. Cheapest stuff I see is the Pods and all in one floor stuff. Which to me sounds better than all but the real good stuff.

• Members
From the responses' date=' Frontman and Super Champ, think I need to check out a solid state Fender some time. Harder and harder to come by I imagine. Nowadays everything is modeling and after last Saturday (17th) I'm not convinced that a Mustang can hang in a live situation.[/quote']

Still around though. Here's what's on my local (St. Louis) CraigsList for less than $200:

Mustang II V2 40 Watts 1X12 $150

Frontman 212R with footswitch 100 Watts 2X12 $150

Deluxe 112 Plus 94 Watts 1X12 $175 (supposed to be the SS equivalent of a Hot Rod Deluxe)

Studio 85 with 12" JBL E120 65 Watts 1X12 $175

That Frontman 212R would likely hang easily in a live situation. Essentially the big brother to my amp. You'd probably want a pedal for a decent OD but you'd get plenty of loud.

• Members

I've certainly gigged some cheap amps over the years - Fender M80, Fender Princeton Chorus, Peavey Stereo Chorus. Anymore, I gig seldomly enough that I'm going to bring out the big guns when I do. The exception there is a Peavey Classic 30 that I bought for next to nothing as a grab and go for jams and such.

• Members

I don't get this post. A guitar amp is meant to color the sound of a guitar. It's arguably half the tone of the instrument. If you've ever plugged a guitar directly into a console or powered PA speaker - that's what "uncolored" guitar sound is like, and it's usually pretty anemic and sad.

• Members

I used to use a Line 6 amp, but it just never cut through a live mix. Same with every other modelling amp or simulator I've tried, but I've never gigged an AxeFX or Kemper.

As long as I've got a tube amp with decent clean headroom I'm happy, but I'm happiest with the Bogner, so I use that now always. I only do a handful of electric gigs a year these days so I don't need to worry about gear weight.

• Members

Wank, I disagree with you on the "cheapness" of my Roland. Yes, it is SS, and yes, it does have a simulation circuit. But since when is a SS amp a bad thing? It's not a tuber, but it is a great sounding amp. SS is an alternative to tubes. Just as a strat is an alternative to a Paul.

Speaker, I have always believed that a great amp should do just that: amplify the guitar's natural sound without coloring it with the tone of the amp, unless you want it to. How many times have you heard a guitar, without having a clue as to what it is, but KNEW the amp was a Marshall, or a Mesa? For me, it's a major turnoff.

Archived