Faded Gibson GAS

kadrocker

• Members

I have a faded Gibson Flying V. It is the nicest guitar I've ever played, I absolutely love this thing. It's my number one.

This guitar is so comfortable to play. And it sounds wonderful! I love how it looks.

I see guitars as tools – I'd rather they sound better than they look. I like my guitars plain Jane looking, nothing fancy.

That being said – I love the paint job on the faded series.

I currently have bad GAS for another Gibson faded guitar. I can't decide between the Les Paul or the SG. And sometimes I catch myself looking at faded Flying V's on eBay.

My friend has a cherry faded SG, an older model with the crescent moon inlays. I've played it a couple times and I think it's a great guitar.

I've also played a faded brown Les Paul, and I thought it was just as nice.

So which do I pick up? The Les Paul, SG, or grab another Flying V?

I probably wouldn't get the V unless it had the crescent moon inlays , but those are getting pretty hard to come across these days.

A few years ago I had a black SG Special, at the time it was my number one guitar but due to some medical issues for my dog I had to sell it.

Then again, I've always wanted a Les Paul.

decisions, decisions!

Thoughts?

• Members

Ok, first off, it's NOT a paint job. It's lacquer on a none filler mahogany body.

Secondly, I just picked up a 06 Faded SG Special... ( I hate that term Special. Makes me feel it needs a helmet and rides the short bus.) One of the NICEST guitars I have played in a long time. My only complaint was the bridge pickup. Sucked, and not in a fun way. But everyone's ears are different. You just need to decide what you want.

• Members

I'm GAS'in for a Les Paul myself since those studio models are ultra affordable these days. A brand new faded, or tribute goes for less than a grand brand new. i played the 50s tribute recently and it was a really nice guitar. thankfully Gibson got rid of the robot tuners for 2016 too. my ultimate dilemma (besides explaining to my spouse why i need another guitar) is whether to purchase a new one or take a chance on a slightly used one on eBay and get it for 200 to 300 less. actually i think I'd probably avoid eBay for Gibsons because that brand in particular is ripe for counterfeit, but reverb or guitar center's used listings usually have great deals and pretty reliable. you should check out both of those sites for your faded. and no I'm not affiliated with any of those sites or brands i just have constant G.A.S for new guitars. l.

• Members

I'd go with the SG. They're more of a plain Jane guitar anyway, but I think the "faded" compliments an SG a bit more than an LP.

Personally, I really like the 490R/490T pickups that are used on most SG Specials. They're voiced a bit more for the "classic rock" voice, but I think they can be tweaked (pedals etc) to churn out a fairly wide range of tones. But I just find I'm happier with the 490T than the 498T

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
I'd go with the SG. They're more of a plain Jane guitar anyway, but I think the "faded" compliments an SG a bit more than an LP.

Personally, I really like the 490R/490T pickups that are used on most SG Specials. They're voiced a bit more for the "classic rock" voice, but I think they can be tweaked (pedals etc) to churn out a fairly wide range of tones. But I just find I'm happier with the 490T than the 498T

I totally agree on the faded SG, I love the look of them and I have had Standards also...but the only one I kept was a faded. MY LP is not faded, and to me the faded does not look good on an LP. I have to dissagree on the pickups, my favorite is still the 490R/498T combo BUT I did keep the 490T on my SG and I can't say I don't like it, it is fine....but I still would rather have a 498T for just a bit more output. I added chrome covers to the SG and it is a keeper!

• Members

I haven't bought anything yet. Been busy with my 4 month old daughter. What spare time I do have I'm trying to get a punk rock band together.

I I think I'll end up getting a faded cherry SG! They can be had cheap on CL, usually between $350 and $500.

I think that's the route I'll end up going ultimately. Wish I could find an older SG with the crescent moon inlay, but they're scarce.

Archived