Best budget axe you ever layed hands on

wankdeplank

• Members

OK, I've been known to swear by the old MIM Fender Squier Series Strats - great little mod platforms. I've got two that after a few improvements (pickups, trem block, shield the pickguard) play and sound as good as my MIA (actually prefer the vintage frets). What I've always liked about these is the quality resonant solid wood bodies, the impeccable fretwork and necks that play like butter. But you still have to do a few mods to bring out the best in them. Then there's the Aria Pro II RS Bobcat (83 Matsumuko, Japan) that is another guitar I own that is astounding for it's quality to price ratio, used of course but even new these things went for hundreds less than the American Fenders. Not as much modding required on these to bring them up to snuff, full size pots, steel trem block, again excellent fretwork and resonant Ash body. Still, I had to change out the neck pickup (alnico) to get rid of an irritating static pop I'd get on the pickups (left the middle because the pickups are quite remarkable otherwise).

My vote for best budget axe I've ever layed hands on though would have to go to a Korean built Carlo Robelli ES 335 copy I recently acquired. I've surmised that these were available through Sam Ash about ten years ago or so and went for somewhere around $400. I have no way of knowing the age of mine as there is no serial # anywhere. The remarkable thing about these is that they stand on their own as professional players, no mods necessary. The pots are full sweep, the pickups are great (good enough for this guy

),the frets are impeccable (feels like it was plecked), the tuners are top-notch and the bridge and stop tail are the finest quality metal. Prior to this guitar, the best budget set-neck I had was a Washburn P290. But compared to the Robelli, the Washburn has one fret that was a little high, the bridge seems flimsy and the saddles aren't as nice. Bending strings on the Robelli feels like an expensive axe, not so on the Washburn. Only mod I did to mine to make it even more Gibsonesque was to intall a tusq nut.

PS For anyone looking for a really nice 335 copy, there is currently one on Ebay with case at a nice price. And Hells no it sho the frick ain't mine.

1852ebb60f0e9db41e8326ef3bc327f1.png.39a3d83daf5e228ad51000af04c9667d.png

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If we're talking sub $1000, then it's my Epiphone MIK Custom. Sub $500, Fender Modern Player Telecaster Plus (which I gave to my dad, and would have back if he didn't live so far away). Sub $200, my Lag Imperator, which is probably better than the Tele Plus in build quality.

Of course, I think my Epi Custom trumps my Rickenbacker in tone and versatility, but not in build quality. It does out play the two Gibsons I previously owned and any other $2000 range Gibson I've played.

• Members

^Interesting. Though I'm pretty much set guitar-wise, once you've imbibed at the spring of eternally good deals, you start wondering what else is out there. You just wonder how it is even possible sometimes from a manufacturing standpoint. Have to admit that the Sterling and Lag Imperator are two that completely flew under my radar. Enjoyed hearing the personal experience stuff Buck.

• Members

The lowest end model of Ibanez's SZ series, in particular, the SZ320 (the more expensive models just had more bling, looked worse, IMO). The bridge pickup is not my cup of tea but otherwise, sold new for around $400 and can be had used for $150. If you've played one you'll know what I'm talking about. Probably one of the most comfortable, best playing and versatile guitars I have ever played. I highly recommend grabbing a used one. They changed the sclae and place of manufacture with the newer SZR series and they're not the same. I really don't know why they discontinued the SZ series, they sold well, played well and were popular.

• Members

I believe the Robellis of that era that were MIK were made by Samick, so the quality is there in spades. The Ibanez Artstars were made in the same factory as well. I currently have a Samick Artist series 650 335 copy from that era that is killer that I will be putting on the block soon.

• Members

Hands down winner ... Michael Kelly Patriot Classic. Just a fabulous rendition f a modernized Les Paul Custom. Ebony Fretboard, silky smooth frets, Rockfield SWC pickups with push pull coil taps, Tone Pros bridge and tailpiece and Graphtech nut. It is a flawlessly-finished, Korean-built set neck guitar for around $350 street price.

eba311090e40bde16b3c89fd9bc45f58.jpg.4db129561860bcb3ff55efde224adb5c.jpg

509c85cc350471c2b78e64e53c53c36f.thumb.jpg.78fd4c1a9dc66422ab9dd57d1ecf3654.jpg

• Members

I'd have to vote for my friends early 80s Washburn T Bird. 200 bucks w tweed HS case new. Still an awesome guitar to this day. A close second is my 83 Carvin DC 100. Only because it was not quite so low budget. I paid $320 w HS case new. As for newer guitars, I had a Mex Strat that was very nice. I only got rid of it because I decided Strats we're not for me. I have a 2010 Epi Korina Explorer that I really love I picked up used w case for $300. It's really well made and has the best humbuckers I've ever experienced in an Epiphone.

• Members

My series one Peavey Falcon cost about $200 when it was 4 years old. It has been a stalwart. I don't know what it cost new but definitely in the budget category.

I've posted this vid before on here, but it's a good demo because the amp is set "flat" with no reverb so you get to hear the guitar clean

If you see a mark one up on ebay i't's worth a go.

[video=youtube_share;LygaA2w6Tbw]

• Members

I bought a used Jay Turser Les Paul goldtop-copy for $80 to use as a back-up/beater guitar. The more I played it I was surprised at how much I liked it and how well it played. I eventually upgraded it with some parts I had laying around including Gibson 500T/bridge, Duncan Jazz/neck, Sperzel locking tuners, and new pots and wiring. Now it sounds fantastic and I play it more than I ever expected to.

• Members

Good stuff fellas. Surprised it took this long for a Rondo entry - that Liquid looks like my style for sure. Have a friend with an SX bass and I can't believe how solid it is for the price paid. Another friend considers his Agiles to be high end - just loves em.

Had to google the Carvin DC 100 - I think I'm in love, double cuts rock. Still a US guitar for that price? Sure that's changed by now. I played a Carvin once used at GC and have to say I was very impressed.

Peavey Falcons have always intrigued me but I've never found one for sale locally. Seems a little janglier than a Fender (video) - not better or worse just different. And have yet to try an SE. The new ones look like the expensive stuff. Not sure I could qualify a 71 Gibson Les Paul as a budget guitar even if you did get a smoking good deal. Never heard a bad word about Jay Turser. Again a brand that seems hard to come by these days.

Good stuff fellas, keep em comin.

• Members

When I hear "budget" I don't generally associate that as "under $1000". Guess it depends on your financial position. Under $1000 would have to include lots of Reverends. No mods needed (also I think should rule out mods, as that makes whole different ball game imho). I also got Ovation VXT, with SD 59's, Fishman underbridge, American made superb guitar for around $770 new.

But back to cheap stuff. Got my bro a Fender Squier $179 tele that was as good or better than $7-900 models I tried at same time. How about limiting "budget" to under $250 with no mods. Then can talk apples and apples. Just a suggestion.

• Members
When I hear "budget" I don't generally associate that as "under $1000". Guess it depends on your financial position. Under $1000 would have to include lots of Reverends. No mods needed (also I think should rule out mods, as that makes whole different ball game imho). I also got Ovation VXT, with SD 59's, Fishman underbridge, American made superb guitar for around $770 new.

But back to cheap stuff. Got my bro a Fender Squier $179 tele that was as good or better than $7-900 models I tried at same time. How about limiting "budget" to under $250 with no mods. Then can talk apples and apples. Just a suggestion.

You make a valid point Emory. To me a budget guitar is a copy (not necessarily exact) of a much more expensive major brand name guitar, perhaps an iconic design that is mass produced for a more affordable market. It is not that same brand name guitar bought off some desperate or mentally impaired individual for a smidgen of it's actual value. Nor is it the less expensive no-frills model of the same type and brand - think Gibson Studio or LP Jr. The only exception to this might be a Fender MIM as opposed to the MIA model as there is a significant difference in price and the features differ slightly (21 frets, 6 point trem etc.). Regarding price, it's hard to say - I consider most of the Schecter and ESP stuff to be budget as they are derivative of Gibson designs and mass produced for a more generic market. In my case with the Robelli 335 copy, as one individual said on another forum, it's a guitar that cost approximately ten times less than the guitar it copied, yet plays and sounds very very similarly.

Regarding mods, I'm the kind of guy that has replaced nuts and pickups on more expensive American made guitars, such as my US Hamers, Fender and Gibson to optimize the performance characteristics. Not all guitars can be made to play and sound like top-shelf guitars just by a few well conceived mods. I personally prefer the MIM Fenders from the 90's just based on personal experience (maybe my 2006 was just a dud), but the point is that not all guitars dial in the way we hope. (I found this out the hard way with a Dillion S-100 Strat copy that had soft frets that wore out, soft saddle screws that stripped, and a chestnut body that did not benefit from the installation of boutique pickups. It wasn't until I'd replaced the neck with a Fender one, changed the trem block, pickups and saddles that I realized I was a fool.)

CBK wrote :I believe the Robellis of that era that were MIK were made by Samick, so the quality is there in spades. The Ibanez Artstars were made in the same factory as well. I currently have a Samick Artist series 650 335 copy from that era that is killer that I will be putting on the block soon.

I think you nailed it CBK as I've heard that theory expressed on the internet. Oddly enough, I had a Korean made Artstar AF-120 from that period that was considerably more expensive new/used than the Robelli that I never quite connected to. Part of the problem was the trapeze bridge, I'm more a blues/rock player than Jazz, but despite the fact that the guitar had a solid Spruce top, it just didn't impart that woody Gibson tone I was looking for. Not that it was a bad sounding guitar by any means, but the bass response just wasn't there and the pickguard would transmit static noise to the pickups even after I shielded it. Tried it without the guard but it was uncomfortable due to the string height at the bridge. I changed out the pickups to 59's but that didn't do much either.

• Members

FR, is the Floyd Ok the on the 350?

It is. It can come with either the Edge III or the Edge Zero II (RG350m vs RG350mz). Mine has the Edge III and it is very stable with heavy use. You will see some threads knocking the Edge III. I chalk that up to the fact that this guitar is priced so that it is accessible to new players and they simply don't understand how to set up a Floyd. You will see threads talking about how it is unstable. Any Floyd is unstable if not properly set up.

I've read some stuff on the Edge Zero II. Most of it is positive. Basically it is a trem with a built in blocking system (for noobs). Some people say they disconnect the Zero aspct of this trem, and I've read a few people say they felt like the Zero system felt stiffer. I don't know. Most people seem happy with it, though.

I really like my 350m.

• Members

A Yamaha 120S "tele" style, bought on ebay for like $60, stripped the paint off added GFS stainless steel saddles & a set of Wilkinson split coil HBs, best guitar I've ever owned.

• Moderators

It is. It can come with either the Edge III or the Edge Zero II (RG350m vs RG350mz). Mine has the Edge III and it is very stable with heavy use. You will see some threads knocking the Edge III. I chalk that up to the fact that this guitar is priced so that it is accessible to new players and they simply don't understand how to set up a Floyd. You will see threads talking about how it is unstable. Any Floyd is unstable if not properly set up.

I've read some stuff on the Edge Zero II. Most of it is positive. Basically it is a trem with a built in blocking system (for noobs). Some people say they disconnect the Zero aspct of this trem, and I've read a few people say they felt like the Zero system felt stiffer. I don't know. Most people seem happy with it, though.

I now appear to own an Ibanez RG350MPZ:-0.....200 squidz

ibanez-rg350dx-body1.jpg

Archived