Opinions on the Agile Doublecut guitars?

chimi

• Members

I'm seriously considering buying one of these (specifically in the blue). In terms of playability and sound what can they be compared to? I've never played a double cut, do they sound les paul like or more trebly or what? Also considering the p90 version. I have no experience with these pickups whatsoever. What is to be expected from them? I play lots of high gain grunge/hard rock and also do a lot of stuff on the clean channel and would love to have a guitar that could cut through the mix well, i love mids and highs and think i heard somewhere that p90's do this very well.

• Members

Hey guitarplayer how do you like the neck? Is it super thick or on the thin side? Also how is the action. Is the guitar play well/easily over all? Some guitars are better for chording while others better for solos? Is this one good all around or does it lean more toward a specific category?

• Members

The neck is thinner than a 50's Les Paul neck. Thinner than my Agile LP2500. But not thin my any means. It's really inbetween. Great upper fret access for leads. Medium weight. You will need to change the strings upon arrival, mine came with cheap strings. I lowered the action just a little. It's very solid and well built with a great tone.

Do a search, many players have this one.

• Members

I've got the same one as guitarplayer, the AD-2500 amber flame w/ P-90s. I love it! Not really much to say beyond what guitarplayer mentioned. I will add that mine doesn't have scratchy pots or any issues like that. The nut did look a little rough on mine, but it doesn't appear to have any ill effects (sometimes the G-string pings when tuning, but that's it). It is a tad neck-heavy, I mostly practice sitting down which works well, but I've had trouble getting my strap adjusted to allow for truly comfortable playing while standing.

The P-90s are wonderful, they should work VERY well for cleans, and I think they work great for distorted parts as well. If hum is a big concern (e.g. w/ high gain) try the middle position on the PU toggle -- this will combine the two PUs and cancels hum (works like a charm). Hope you get one and enjoy it!

• Members

Originally posted by tlniec

(sometimes the G-string pings when tuning, but that's it).

Probably just that the slot is too tight for the string and needs to be widened slightly.

Also, I just got an Agile 2300JR (LP Special/Junior copy), and I love it. Great fit and finish, and I might not even change the stock pickups (very rare for me). The neck did dive like crazy, but I switched the strap button from the back of the guitar to the horn and the balance is much better. Still a bit neck-heavy, but not terrible at all.

• Members

The doublecuts also have thinner bodies. I have an older 2500 singlecut & our lead singer picked up a double cut recently. Thus the doublecut isn't as full sounding & probably a little less sustain. The difference isn't really noticable in a band context though. These are both humbucker versions.

Archived