Anyone watch the Dr Phil show about hoarders ?

XXX

• Members

Collectors are trying to deal with things in order to help with anxiety over control issues with other areas of their lives .

What do you think? He had on one guy that was spending 1500 a month on action figures on Ebay , the guy was saying they were a good investment .

I know I have some of that , I have OCD and panic disorder and over 50 guitars but instead of my usual buying 2 to 3 guitars a month like I have straight for over a year I havent bought 1 guitar in the last 4 months except I did put that damn Epi scroll on layaway .

I have only sold 1 guitar that I have collected , I find it hard to part with them .

• Members

Originally posted by Gearasameanstoamusicalend

Hoarding behavior is viewed as a way to manage and overcome anxiety.

It is a coping and survival mechanism. However, the acquisition satisfaction is quickly overcome by the desire to acquire the next thing.

Stop the hoarding behavior and the anxiety problem remains.

The anxiety problem is dealt with in a process of future personal development, investing in one's self, and not in acquisition of things.

The anxiety is often caused by dissatisfaction with current personal status and development. It is often a depression related issue.

The future personal development process begins with dreaming and setting action plans for future success. It's about goal establishment, work process, and fulfillment.

The cost for hoarding is most obviously monetary. However, the greatest cost is one of opportunity. The 10 hours it takes to find the deal could often have been used in a more productive manner, such as working the action plan to achieve a fulfilling goal.

Very interesting topic!

I hear what you're saying, BUT....what if you just collect purely for the love of the items you are collecting?

• Members

The older I get the more I think almost every problem we have in the world is related to somebody trying to control something they shouldn't. I have a lot of theories about control but to sum it up I believe a lot of unhappiness is caused by someone not feeling that they have control over something productive or creative in their life.

Until they do all the other stuff they are controlling or hoarding is not providing any satisfaction.

It is an interesting topic. I used to have anxiety issues too but they stopped when I recognized what I could and could not control and most importantly accepted those things as being controllable or uncontrollable.

• Members

One of the interesting things I've heard about this is that with larger purchases, more excitement is experienced before the purchase, but consequently, more depression or more of a need for a next purchase is experienced after the item is acquired. This is how the feedback loop starts.

• Members

Originally posted by Tommy Tourbus

I hear what you're saying, BUT....what if you just collect purely for the love of the items you are collecting?

If that "pure love" starts interfering with normal activities of daily life, relationships, finances in a significant and adverse manner, then it has features of obsession.

Many obsessed hoarders lack insight: they see their collecting activities as reasonable and nothing out of the ordinary. If the objects collected are flattened milk cartons or paper towel tubes, filling entire living rooms, the problem seems obvious to outside observers. However, when the objects have some socially redeeming or artistic value (paintings or musical instruments), the line gets muddy.

• Members

Interesting discussion, and like him or not, Dr. Phil is correct about this one. (Personally, I've never seen the Dr. Phil show.)

I read a post from a person on this forum who bought five guitars in one day--all of them fairly cheap imports. I don't know the person and perhaps he or she was going to sell some of them, but it struck me as a bit odd--like a red flag. I could easily see myself buying a $150 Douglas, SX, or Squire, every month if I were not careful.

Hoarding involves buying stuff that is viewed as junk or worthless to the outside world, which would certainly describe some of the guitars that folks around here collect (OK, that was mean spirited, but I could not resist). From a website:

"Hoarding is often a specific symptom of OCD which results in people keeping large amounts of items that to the outside world are considered excessive or worthless/useless. It is also still being researched much and surrounded with much secrecy and shame.

But read some of the figures below and you will soon realize that if you are here because you Hoard, you are certainly not alone in this.

Is important to realize however that Hoarding isn't solely linked or associated to OCD, and can be found independently but cause equal distress. "

I'll be the first to admit that I need to keep myself in check--that's the main reason that I don't buy cheap guitars. I also make sure that I play at least two hours per day and that all of my guitars get a good workout every other day or so.

Now, if you will excuse me, I'm feeling anxious, so I'm going to log into Musicians Friend and see if they have something cheap on closeout.

Archived