Hot Chocolate's "Every 1's A Winner"

Danhedonia

• Members

It's 2:51 a.m., and I have the (entire) music library on random, and just wanted to say: holy shnikeys, the TONE on the guitar parts on this song is sick.

Anyone familiar with this song and the licks to which I'm referring? ideas for fx to mimic? sounds like some compression, and some really scooped distortion.

• Members

Man, I wish I knew more about that stuff (guitar synths) ... seriously, the tone on that riff is FAT. Drips like BBQ.

Anyone here know the song? It's not "You Sexy Thang," though I'm a fan of that track as well as the guitar playing on it.

Some of them funk guitarists were badasser than hell. Just the little lick at the beginning of "Love Rollercoaster" is a lesson in tube warmth and impeccable rhythm playing.

• Members
Originally posted by Danhedonia

Man, I wish I knew more about that stuff (guitar synths) ... seriously, the tone on that riff is FAT. Drips like BBQ.

Anyone here know the song? It's not "You Sexy Thang," though I'm a fan of that track as well as the guitar playing on it.

Some of them funk guitarists were badasser than hell. Just the little lick at the beginning of "Love Rollercoaster" is a lesson in tube warmth and impeccable rhythm playing.

Of course I know the song. I have it somewhere on vinyl. A little newer than YOU SEXY THANG.

• Members

I saw Hot Chocolate perfom in Germany this summer.

Part of a free concert.

They weren't the headliners.

The headliners were a German disco cover band, that covered "Everyone's a Winner."

During this show.

Right after Hot Chocolate played it. :rolleyes:

They did it better than the band that called themselves Hot Chocolate, which was just the singer, and maybe the bass player.

• Members

Originally posted by Fulham Fallout

But sadly nothing about his gear. I'm not entirely sure that it was a guitar-synth on this record, though.

Probably not. Guitar synths in 1978 were the Arp Avatar (those nasty bleeping sounds in Who Are You), the Patch 2000 (can't think of any recorded examples), and maybe 360 Systems. They all pretty much sucked, and tracked horribly.

....although Roland had just come out with their first one. :idea:

It's the one on the Rush Hemispheres album.

I'd guess it's probably heavy fuzz and EQ.

• 12 years later...

Archived