Guild X-79 skylark

skratch63

• Members

I just bot a X-79. 1983 I believe. White, which is rare and has held up pretty well. It has a coil split toggle. Does any one know if its factory. The only other one i have seen w/coil switch is on ebay right now. Any other info or pics of your x-79s??? Bought it as an investment but plays so good and the thing has grown on me. I guess they didnt make many.

• Members

Originally posted by skratch63

I just bot a X-79. 1983 I believe. White, which is rare and has held up pretty well. It has a coil split toggle. Does any one know if its factory. The only other one i have seen w/coil switch is on ebay right now. Any other info or pics of your x-79s??? Bought it as an investment but plays so good and the thing has grown on me. I guess they didnt make many.

dude don't ever say you got a guitar for an investment around here that is a big ass flame thrower that will get you cooked:D

are you sure it's a coil split, and not a in-out of phase switch?

i have a 1977 guild s300ad and thats what it came stock with(the phase)

• Members

I have an 80's X-88 and since 88 is a bigger number than 79, mine must be better ;) . Honestly though, I don't remember the Guilds having much in the way of elaborate wiring. This is of course from my limited experince with whatever Sam Ash had in the store at the time.

BTW - if anyone cares about such things. The Guild necks were some of the fastest, truest, nicest necks ever made. My X-88 is a rock machine...and it's white and pointy....:thu:

Originally posted by skratch63

• Members

I have a white X-79. I need to get that one out and see if I can do a setup and clean up the electronics. Mine seems to have pretty high outbut buckers in it. Mine does not have any switches other than a pickup selector switch.

Max

• Members

yep, the venereable X-79.

I have seen them in sparkle, and graphic finishes as well. Some w/ the Gumby headstock as well as an early one that hac the "cloud" headstock. Lightweight and resonant, they kill w/ the right pickups

• 1 month later...
  • Members

It's not a floyd or a wonderbar (wish it were either). It's a "Whammy Bar" Licensed 6 screw trem. Not a good unit. The trem route looks as if it was done with a hammer and screwdriver...real spooky. I need to clean up the route and fill all the ugly holes. Re route the front pup cavity and re finish it. I am also going to fabricate a new "point" for the headstock and put a new fretboard on it as the scallope job on the original is as scary as the trem route.

I'm sure I'll be doing these things for years and years before Im done.

• Members

Originally posted by slvrsrpnt

I've never played one, but looking to snag one up when I find a steal of a deal

Here's one that's on Ebay

a4_1.JPG

I would love to try one. The shape is unique and the instrument looks like a beauty. I never heard or paid attention to Guild Guitars. I was not around in the seventies to get one.

Perhaps I will just add this to my wish list.

:cool:

Secret Member of SG Army

• Members

Patrick, I have an X-88 which was my main guitar from the middle 80's until last year when I bought an Ibanez Artist and a LP STD. The necks seem to be the same on the 79 and the 88 and are fluid and fast, almost too thin. I LOVE my X-88 and still use it as my main guitar at gigs because of how easy it is to play. I did replace the PU on it with an EMG...it was probably the weakest point of the Guild. The Kahler trem is soft and vibrato can be done using your pinky.

Originally posted by patrickgibson

I would love to try one. The shape is unique and the instrument looks like a beauty. I never heard or paid attention to Guild Guitars. I was not around in the seventies to get one.

Perhaps I will just add this to my wish list.

:cool:

Secret Member of SG Army

Archived