INFO on the MIJ foto-flame floyd strat?

mad axe man

• Members

Originally posted by jackson soloist usa

the stock pup in them is a ?

what body wood?

and the best place to get them?

Stock pickups are unmarked, generic MIJ pickups. Probably ceramic. Nothing special.

Pretty sure the body is alder, and they put a basswood cap on it, in which they chemically superimpose the "fotoflame" on. So it's not actually a "photograph" of flamed maple, it's chemically etched wood, so to speak.

Only place to find them is on eBay.

There are two different versions.

There's the "60s HRR" or Hot Rod Reissue which has a few more features.

Then there's the one's I have, which are called the FLoyd Rose Series. They have Fender on the headstock, and then on the round part of the headstock, in small lettering, it says, "Floyd Rose Squier Series.

Now these aren't Squiers, that was just something they named them to differenciate the brand to indicate they were Japanese, not American. They are seriously top-notch guitars.

Here are the differences between the two types:

60s HRR: 22 frets, contoured heel (like you see on the deluxe strats today). Original Floyd Rose, kluson tuners. The neck plate will say, Fender USA, although they are made in japan.

Floyd Rose Series: 21 frets, Floyd Rose II, standard neck heel, vintage tuners, but not klusons.

SO basically, the HRR series are the ones to really look out for, as they have some nice upgrades.

The FR series can be found for really great prices and they pop up frequently on eBay.

And now the photos!

FRStrat_BlackCherryBurst800.jpg

FRStrat_Tobaccoburst.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I have to revive this thread.:)

Because I just picked up one of these beauties for $300 in really top condition.

Here are some pics, I dont have it yet, but this is what she looks like.

bodywf7.jpg

headstocksh6.jpg

backmk7.jpg

BTW this is my MIJ 62 RI Foto Flame that I currently own, also a beauty, as you can see, I love the Foto Flames.:cool:

622pxmd3kj.md.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Members

This is an article I pulled off the Ed Roman site a few years ago regarding the MIJ Foto Flames and Ed's oipinion of them.

Fender Guitars have discontinued making guitars in Japan, in favor of their Mexican factories. I for one am very sad to see that happen. The Japanese Fender Reissue guitars of the 90's are probably some of the best guitars Fender ever made. It is my theory that Fender recognized this fact and decided that if this trend continued it would be self defeating in the long run. The buying public has been so succesfully duped into thinking the American models were the good ones. It would never do to have the Japanese models start getting better reviews.

Before I go any further it is important to note that the Fender guitars I am talking about came from the Japanese Fugi Gen Gakki factory. (The same factory making the $2,000.00 Ibanez guitars). They are in almost all cases reissued early models and usually the "Made in Japan" sticker will be under the finish behind the heel of the neck. I am definitely not recommending Fender guitars made in Korea, Indonesia, India, Taiwan, Thailand, Philippines, Mexico and any other countries I may have forgotten to mention. There were a lot of 80's Japanese made Fenders with very weird bridges and other not so desirable attributes that I do not recommend either. Usually the "Made in Japan" logo will be on the headstock of those models. So be careful if you ever purchase one. Remember look for the "Made in Japan" sticker behind the heel of the neck. (Many people send me their Fender guitars for the popular 1500 G neck modification this makes the guitar play a whole lot better. The "Made in Japan" sticker gets removed in the process.

People who have dealt with me know I generally hate imported guitars of all kinds. I hate most of them because in many cases they are priced right alongside American Guitars. Fender is the only Japanese made guitar I have ever recommended, Another cool thing about Fender Japanese models the "Made in Japan" sticker is under the finish. At least Fender was forthright and honest and did not try to just put an easily peeled off sticker like some other companies that will go un-mentioned. (Use your Extra Sensory Perception to figure that one out)

"Foto Flame" is an extremely thin piece of film, developed by Fender, and some large photographic corporation. (It might have been Polaroid, I can't remember)

"Foto Flame", when applied to the wood makes the guitar appear as if it were flamed to the max. Basically it is simply a photograph of some very highly figured wood. This photograph shrink wraps around the guitar and appears to be real wood.

Fender stopped the "Foto Flame" about 1998, it was the butt of many jokes, it made them lose even more credibility than when they used the fake wood laminates on all the expensive American Guitars..Ed Roman.

• Members

I had one like the blue-burst one above. I hot rodded it with a white pearloid guard, black SD Lil 59's and JB Jr's, and black knobs. It was F'n sweet but I sold it to fund a Les Paul. I wish I still had it; it's gone to someone in Hawaii.

• Members

I have one of these too and it's the best Strat I've ever owned and maybe one of the best guitars I ever owned period.

Everything Mazi said up there is right on the money.

The stock bridge humbucker was decent but I replaced it with a Dimarzio Breed and it really brought this guitar to life. The stock singles aint bad at all.

I also replaced the stock Floyd Rose II with an Original Floyd that I already had. This guitar never ever goes out of tune now.

The neck is one of the best Strat necks I've ever played. It's similar to a '62 but with a flatter radius.

It was like the others pictured here in that it only has a master vol & tone but a previous owner added the middle pot (it's not connected to anything though).

FenderStrat1.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 11 years later...
  • Members
I have one of these too and it's the best Strat I've ever owned and maybe one of the best guitars I ever owned period.
Everything Mazi said up there is right on the money.
The stock bridge humbucker was decent but I replaced it with a Dimarzio Breed and it really brought this guitar to life. The stock singles aint bad at all.
I also replaced the stock Floyd Rose II with an Original Floyd that I already had. This guitar never ever goes out of tune now.
The neck is one of the best Strat necks I've ever played. It's similar to a '62 but with a flatter radius.
It was like the others pictured here in that it only has a master vol & tone but a previous owner added the middle pot (it's not connected to anything though).

FenderStrat1.jpg
I have the exact same one... I bought a white pearloid pickguard on eBay for it.. I now put a switch in the 3rd hole to split the humbuckerANYBODY KNOW WHAT PICKUPS ARE IN THISE GUITARS? I HAVE NO IDEA

Archived