Epi SG G-400 custom Goldtop

willpshack

• Members

I have been offered this guitar for $150. It is not a second, and has not, to my knowlegde, been played. It still has the plastic on the p'ups and pickguard, and has been kept in the box it came in for quite a while. The orignial owner got it for his son as a present, only to find out his son had already bought a epi 66 sg and did not want this one.

What can you guys tell me about this guitar. I haven't had a chance to sit down and play it. How does it sound and play?

Thanks,

Will

• Members

SGs are bright by nature, and mine's no different. The pickups are on the hotter side, but not 'shredder' hot. Still have a decent 'vintage' tone. Mine is not neck-heavy, but does have a nice full neck - maybe 50s profile or so. That's a great price on a cool guitar if you want an sg and dig goldtops.

• Members

They were being blown out my music123.com not too long ago for like $199. Still, for a new guitar, $150 is a very good deal. My guess is you could turn around and resell it on ebay for $200 or maybe even $300. This color isn't made anymore, and might be desired by some out there. Not saying it is collectible, but you never know. But for $150, it is a vey decent guitar, and worth it if you like it.

• Members

I'll buy it, what's your number?
:D
Seriously, gold tops are cool and SGs are cool, so best of both worlds!

I'm not selling it I'm buying it. I have already decided to buy it. Now I would just like to hear what people think of it, pros and cons. what people have changed, if they have changed anything. I just pulled it out of he box and played it, the neck is smooth as can be. I can't wait to plug this baby in! I have a pair of burstbuckers I pulled out of another guitar not long ago, I may put them in it, if needed.

• Members

Well we do a lot of BSing here, it's mostly in fun. I wouldn't mod anything to it, not yet. Play it a while and see what you think. About the biggest complaint I have with Epi are sometimes the pickups are a bit generic, so those could be changed, and the toggle switch usually won't last long, so be prepared for that. As for pickups, depends what you want. Gibson Classic '57s migh be nice, check out offerings from Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio or on a budget look at guitarfetish.com for Jay's offerings. There are a few others as well. Not much else is needed with this guitar. Enjoy it!

• Members

They're Alnico V pickups.

Keep them in there long enough to learn to appreciate them.

I changed the tuners cuz I think the green looks stupid.

Other than that, a great guitar. And in your case, a great price!

Looks great in the MF SG case for $39 too.

• Members

Wow. Right over the top of your head. Better get some tampons while you're out. I think your period's coming.

you may want to read that quote one more time, and the one I wrote shortly afterwards. I knew that you were just trying to be a smart ass, but my point was that I'm asking a serious question.

• Members

They're Alnico V pickups.

Keep them in there long enough to learn to appreciate them.

I changed the tuners cuz I think the green looks stupid.

Other than that, a great guitar. And in your case, a great price!

Looks great in the MF SG case for $39 too.

Thanks,

What did you change the tuners to? I was thinking about locking grovers, not sure about color though, probably chrome.

That very case is already on it's way.

• Members

It's a slightly embarassing story.

I sold the tuners off of it, pretty cheap, hoping to help out a forumite who received one with a broken off tuner knob. That was common when we were all getting ours within a few weeks of each other. Dunno if that's who got them though.

The only tuners I had that fit were vintage Kluson style in black. The black looks good but the tuner knobs are the small round ones, and don't look quite right.

I have a set of Grovers but they will not fit without reaming and drilling, and I don't want to do that. I'll find something "correct" eventually.

There's nothing wrong with the stock tuners. I'm just an idiot.