Why are my fingers black?

jeffmangum

• Members

take off the strings and give the fretboard a good cleaning with lemon oil.
most guitars are rather dirty when new. i dont know what model that is, but there are some guitars that have dyed fretboards as well.

2 of my guitars had dirty fretboards that made my fingers black. a cleaning with lemon oil made it go away. you can clean the strings too, but its not usually the problem.

• Members
what color is the rest of you?? I looked down one time and was like "holy crap my fingers are black", but then I looked at the rest of myself and I was like "o yea, I'm Black"

But the palms of your hands are a little lighter. And the soles of your feet.

Everybody has pink tongues so, I wouldn't lick the fretboard or strings either.

• Members

Don't worry about it. It happens with just about every new guitar I've ever bought. I'm not sure if some of it is from the strings, but I think it's coming from a fret board coloring agent of some sort. But yeah, I always get "black finger". I've got a brand new Gisbon Custom Shop LP waiting for me at home. I'm wondering if it will give me black finger too.

But I always recommend GHS Fast Fret to wipe the strings down. It keeps the tarnish at bey and removes the drag off of slightly tarnished strings.

• Members

Ok, well I went to clean the strings and give the fretboard a good cleaning, and i think this problem was pre-existing. I probably just didn't notice until I'd played a bit. When I went to clean the strings, the black didn't come off, and the underside of the string is very rough and jagged - definitely not safe to play on. I'm thinking some nasty strings were just installed at the factory.

• Members
Ok, well I went to clean the strings and give the fretboard a good cleaning, and i think this problem was pre-existing. I probably just didn't notice until I'd played a bit. When I went to clean the strings, the black didn't come off, and the underside of the string is very rough and jagged - definitely not safe to play on. I'm thinking some nasty strings were just installed at the factory.

Is this guitar used? The nasty crap on the underside of the strings is something I have only seen on guitars with old strings.

• Members
what color is the rest of you?? I looked down one time and was like "holy crap my fingers are black", but then I looked at the rest of myself and I was like "o yea, I'm Black"

I actually thought of saying that myself but thought it would be kinda racist since I'm not Black but you the Man!