Yahoo Guitar Room

Mesa/Kramer

• Members

Anyone used to hang and play in the Yahoo User rooms for Guitar?

Used to be pretty cool to be able to play live for/with many great players from around the world. Was cool until Yahoo closed off all thier User made rooms 3 or more years ago.

Is there anything like this elsewere going on?

• Members

I've never heard of that before. How did the audio work? Could you jam with other people? That would be so cool if it worked, I know network latency is often a dealbreaker with this kind of thing.

You couldn't really "jam" with other people. You would have to wait till someone got off the voice chat and then play. At least thats what I remember.

• Members

I've never heard of that before. How did the audio work? Could you jam with other people? That would be so cool if it worked, I know network latency is often a dealbreaker with this kind of thing.

It was like a basic chat room to start, all live posting unlike here. There was audio also, so you would either Mic your amp and run it into your PC or run into a POD like device and run the out into your PC. People would basically take turns going on a shredding. There were some incredible players that hung out and played in there on a regular basis from all over the world. As you were playing and after, people would type in comments live as to how they were liking your playing. You could set up a separate room and jam one on one with another person. Certain good players would gain kind of legendary status, on there. The best player I heard in there was a guy named Danny Danzi.

Yahoo used to allow anyone to create thier own User made Chat rooms, like these, I guess they had too many problems with some of the user made room topics/content, since they could not control young kids from going in or something like that, so you can no longer make a "Guitar Room" so to say.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
  • Members

Sorry to bring up an old post but I remember the yahoo guitar room. I loved going there and I actually learned alot and that chat room led me to buying multiple items like my POD Pro that I have loved for many years. I'm not sure but Danny Danzi seems kinda familair. The only guy I can really remember his name was Vic_Rattlehead not sure about the underscore he used to always play alot of awesome Megadeth songs. But there were so many great players I can't remember. If anyone knows of a similar website or anything to what the guitar room used to be like I would love to give it a try. Or if any of the guitar room regulars are still getting together on some site that would be amazing. So far all I've found is a few random people playing on twitch in the music category.

• Members

Seems like rockabilly only thing that would work. To do quick and lazy latency test, using Skype call friend far away. You start counting and then have friend join in. I'd like to do intercontinental jam, but count difference is around 1 1/2....

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Man I created an account just to comment on this thread. That guitar chat used to be {censored}ing epic. I'm talking about G*U*I*T*A*R*P*L*A*Y*E*R*S with Mesa and Dean and all the booting and mass ignores and {censored} talking. I will never forget those days.

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Absolutely, had hours of fun. I remember Danny Danzi too, along with some other talented shredders. I'd play more old school stuff. Quite the warm feeling when girls (hopefully they were girls) would type stuff like "Dallas_Cheerleader>Throws panties at Wildeyed_SouthernBoy"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
34 minutes ago, SteinbergerHack said:

It would be pretty cool to have that function here somewhere......Phil?  Anton?

The biggest issue IMHO is latency. It's been the major hindrance for real-time music interaction online. The more distant the collaborator, the worse it tends to be. 

Acceptable latency for video conferencing
Target values for acceptable video conference performance are 150 ms latency, 40 ms jitter and 1% or less packet loss. Latency includes a fixed component related to the network transmission path length, so physical distance makes this parameter somewhat difficult to control.

https://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/tip/Video-conferencing-bandwidth-requirements-for-the-WAN

Some people get annoyed when their DAW has ~20 ms or more of latency, and most find 150 ms to be too annoying to deal with. 

I'd love to have something that would allow two people, or even better, groups of people to interact and jam together in real time, and I'd definitely be an advocate for adding that functionality to HC, but AFAIK, the technology just doesn't exist that allows that in a seamless, non-buggy, latency-free way. 

Please feel free to correct me if you know of a system that actually does work. 

• Members
16 minutes ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

The biggest issue IMHO is latency. It's been the major hindrance for real-time music interaction online. The more distant the collaborator, the worse it tends to be. 

Acceptable latency for video conferencing
Target values for acceptable video conference performance are 150 ms latency, 40 ms jitter and 1% or less packet loss. Latency includes a fixed component related to the network transmission path length, so physical distance makes this parameter somewhat difficult to control.

https://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/tip/Video-conferencing-bandwidth-requirements-for-the-WAN

Some people get annoyed when their DAW has ~20 ms or more of latency, and most find 150 ms to be too annoying to deal with. 

I'd love to have something that would allow two people, or even better, groups of people to interact and jam together in real time, and I'd definitely be an advocate for adding that functionality to HC, but AFAIK, the technology just doesn't exist that allows that in a seamless, non-buggy, latency-free way. 

Please feel free to correct me if you know of a system that actually does work.

I'm the last person to ask about this - I'm afraid I'm a bit of a luddite in this area.  I've never even recorded over a digital backing track at home. 

My studio experience has been either working as a player/composer in a full-on pro studio, or recording a few guitar and/or vocal tracks at home with a very simplistic setup, always one-shot, no overdubs, no punch-ins (until last weekend, when I finally overdubbed parts on a couple of songs for hire).  Back in the mid-80s I engineered some reasonably good (for the time) demo recordings with the old Fostex Model 80, but those techniques don't translate very well to modern technology.

I would seem that the latency would be highly variable due to the way 'net traffic is routed.  There are ways within a given subnet to prioritize traffic, but I doubt that the average home subscription service will allow those flags to be passed through so that we can hog the neighbors' bandwidth.

21 minutes ago, SteinbergerHack said:

I would seem that the latency would be highly variable due to the way 'net traffic is routed.  There are ways within a given subnet to prioritize traffic, but I doubt that the average home subscription service will allow those flags to be passed through so that we can hog the neighbors' bandwidth.

True... plus there's also the issue of the speed the individual users have from their ISP. I have a fairly fast pipe (FiOS, with supposedly 100 mbps up / down, although it never quite achieves that speed), but not everyone does, and the weak link is usually their upload speed. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • Members
On 5/13/2016 at 6:29 PM, exiive said:

Man I created an account just to comment on this thread. That guitar chat used to be {censored}ing epic. I'm talking about G*U*I*T*A*R*P*L*A*Y*E*R*S with Mesa and Dean and all the booting and mass ignores and {censored} talking. I will never forget those days.

I created an account as well just to come here and say, I was there as well. Good times, never laughed so hard.  I'll never forget those days. 

Edited by Donut-dean

• 3 weeks later...