The Pacifica riddle

Jkater

• Members

Why is the Pacifica line best known for its lowest (well, second lowest) model, the 112?

Their higher end models are outstanding value with the 812, a modern, well designed pro instrument and the 904 a more traditionnal and true alternative to the american standard and deluxe strats at a couple hundred bucks less. Then come the american made custom shop Pacificas, hand built and in a class (and a price tag) in par with the "boutique" instruments.

Yet when we hear "Pacifica" on this forum, it's usually in the "best beginner's guitar" threads. :confused:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I own an 821-R & a 921, & would not sell them for the world. The 821 especially, the pickups, whatever they are, sound just amazing .I play thru two modded Vox Cambridge 15's (caps replaced w/ high end & better opamps & JJ 12AX7 tube in each) & the combination of them & the guitar just blows me away when I hear the playback. The 921 has a Warmouth neck, but I still prefer the 821 sound wise. Yamaha makes good schtuff! :thu:

• Members

Unfortunately, not many stores (read GC) carry the higher end models. I've played the Mike Stern model on plenty of occasions and it is a fantastic guitar. Not sure if their still making all the other models though...

That's what I've heard also. The SA2200, for example, is a guitar few people ever get the chance to try when shopping for a semi in that price range ($1500). When they finally do, they invariably comment on how the guitar is way better than the price tag suggests. But in that price range, a good reputation alone is usually not enough to make someone put an order and buy it sight unseen.

The model I just ordered, the Pacifica 904 is the most "straty" (traditional) of all the Pacificas and, if we exclude the custom shop US ones, is the top of the line, a little more expensive than the Mike Stern sig. It is not available in the states and one of the biggest stores in Europe is getting ONE single 904 at the end of July (while getting 25 american standard strats in olympic white).

One explanation is that the top models are no money makers for Yamaha and they promote more agressively the mass produced, profit generating mid-range stuff.

• Members

the 112 is a fantastic modders guitar, so most peoples experiences are with those guitars, either as beginners guitars or with a relatively cheap guitar to mod out

pretty much all my experience with yamaha guitars is pimping out 112's for friends and such

• Members

the 812 comes w/ SD Alnico II singles and a JB in the bridge w/ push-push. Great sounding pickups. There's a brand new one for sale in town here for $475 b/c it's NOS from '06 and the store no longer sells yamaha. It's a killer guitar for sure. Wilkinson trem, locking tuners, etc.

• Members

Yamaha has the goods for sure but not the fame. By what I read on these forums, 80% of the players can't see past the brand name when evaluating the quality of a guitar.

Yamaha makes impressive instruments, not just guitars. It's to notch stuff at very affordable prices.

• Members

A lot of people seem to think that the 112 has the best quality/ratio of the Yamahas (because it's famous for it). Wrong! The best qualty for the buck, by far, are the top range, made in Japan stuff (AES1500, SA2200, PAC904, Mike Stern sig). The price of those guitars defies comprehension. The SG2000 reissue benefits from being more famous and is therefore more pricey but isn't better made than the ones I just mentionned. They are in the same quality class, basically.

• Members

A lot of people seem to think that the 112 has the best quality/ratio of the Yamahas (because it's famous for it). Wrong! The best qualty for the buck, by far, are the top range, made in Japan stuff (AES1500, SA2200, PAC904, Mike Stern sig). The price of those guitars defies comprehension. The SG2000 reissue benefits from being more famous and is therefore more pricey but isn't better made than the ones I just mentionned. They are in the same quality class, basically.

+1000

• Members

Most guitarists have this perception that Yamahas are strictly entry level instruments. I had a nice Yamaha acoustic (forget the model, but it was in their Compass series) and it played just as well as acoustics twice the price. I had an opportunity to buy a USA Ty Tabor model Pacifica a few years ago and had to pass because I didn't have the cash. Mind you, it was $700 dead mint and it could have held it's own against an Anderson or Suhr. I think Ty only played the Pacifica for one tour before switching to the RGXTT model.

• Members

I have 3 Pacifica's' a 604w, 812w and 912j, all completely different in feel and sound. To be honest, if I ever thought about something different I would need to be looking at stuff like Suhr, Anderson Trussarts, etc.

I've been looking for a 14xx series model in the UK for a long time, but have never come across one yet. They occasionally show up on the US ebay site, and there is an absolute stunner for sale right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-Pacifica-1412-mint-custom-flame-top-very-rare_W0QQitemZ320277862343QQihZ011QQcategoryZ33049QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:cry:

• Members

Yamaha has the goods for sure but not the fame. By what I read on these forums, 80% of the players can't see past the brand name when evaluating the quality of a guitar.

Yamaha makes impressive instruments, not just guitars. It's to notch stuff at very affordable prices.

This is totally true.....

Their drums are some of the best in the business. Just consistently great sounding year after year.

• Members

I have 3 Pacifica's' a 604w, 812w and 912j, all completely different in feel and sound. To be honest, if I ever thought about something different I would need to be looking at stuff like Suhr, Anderson Trussarts, etc.

I've been looking for a 14xx series model in the UK for a long time, but have never come across one yet. They occasionally show up on the US ebay site, and there is an absolute stunner for sale right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-Pacifica-1412-mint-custom-flame-top-very-rare_W0QQitemZ320277862343QQihZ011QQcategoryZ33049QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:cry:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Clearly a neck-through construction (see 4th pic at the bottom). This is shredder's dream!!!

84fc_12.jpg

8ef0_12.jpg

9c82_12.jpg

7a63_12.jpg

• Members

This one in particular has been offered before. Last time I saw it it reached $2500 and reserve was not met.

I almost bought another 1412, in mint condition, but I can't afford them at the moment. That one had a more reasonable price last time I checked the auction, and someone should be very happy with it.

I had a 1421, and have always wanted a Weddington Custom. Both lines were designed by Rich Lasner. The guy who bought my 1421 registered on eBay just to buy it, and later sent me a very nice email thanking me for the guitar :)

Great guitars!

• Members

first part depends on where one lives...older Yamaha electrics have become quite collectable in Japan and prices are starting to reflect that. But I agree some guys STILL think MIJ means crap.

as for their guitars, I have an early 50s Dynamic...among many other Dynamics... thats still going strong, no neck issues and it sounds sublime, deep and loud and all solid wood, as all my Dynamics are. Got a few of their earliest 1960s classicals too that are not laminates, outstanding guitars.

I have a few top end Yamaha electrics that are as good as anything made today by anybody, they are extremely impressive. May be you haven`t played enough top end models...and safe to say you`ve never played a Dynamic? I mean it seems not many folks overseas have.

• Members

...The model I just ordered, the Pacifica 904 is the most "straty" (traditional) of all the Pacificas and, if we exclude the custom shop US ones, is the top of the line...

I believe that the 812v is the top of the line Pacific available in the States.If you can find one,that is.

Ed

• Members

even the Yamaha shop in this city has a very limited choice of Yamahas...TONS of over priced Taylors though. Recently they got an SAS-1500 and SA-2200 at 112,ooo yen...bargains...but I already have one of each. They also have an SG-1000, 2000 and 3000 but those are priced to stay there for now...I`ll wait as few months and see what happens, I`ve found some great deals in that shop before but guitars have to hang in the shop for a long time before they reduce them.

• Members

Here in Helsinki Yamaha is actually rather well represented. The store that sells them has nearly every model from the 112s to the SA2200 and SG2000. Unfortunately even here people generally go for the lesser quality models from more "accepted" brands although the 112 is what people generally recommend for beginners.

As for their acoustics, the lower end models are well built but I felt the Ibanez AW800 (all solid wood) sounded better even though it's not as well built. Didn't like the wide necks on the slightly more expensive, all solid wood Yamahas.

• Members

Fenders sells a hell of a lot more Affinity Squiers than USA Strats.

The market for high-dollar guitars is significant, but much smaller than the market for cheapies.

And then not everybody who is interested in buying a high-dollar guitar is a working musician looking for the best tool for the job. A lot of USA Fenders and Gibsons are sold as much for prestige and/or resale value as much as for their usefulness as guitars.

Also, Yamaha is a victim of it's own success. Nobody makes better "student" quality instruments for the money, not just for guitars, but for pretty much everything, so they are universally recognized as THE company to look at for your first instrument. That makes people less likely to realize that their pro line is also worth a long look when they are ready to upgrade.

• Members

Also, Yamaha is a victim of it's own success. Nobody makes better "student" quality instruments for the money, not just for guitars, but for pretty much everything, so they are universally recognized as THE company to look at for your first instrument. That makes people less likely to realize that their pro line is also worth a long look when they are ready to upgrade.

+1000

This is very true. In any music schools where they teach wind, brass, and other instruments, very many students will have Yamaha as the instrument on which to grow because of the outstanding quaility and utility at a very honest price.

Yamaha is also the only company I can think of that is so dedicated to the developping (and fully developped) musicians. There are Yamaha music schools in many countries. Their lower lines of keyboards, digital drums, etc. are loaded with cool features to learn music or simply enjoy it to the max.

• Members

I'd also say that Yamaha's marketing hasn't been particularly good. From what I've seen it's been pretty low key, classy stuff whereas other brands go for the flashy, eye catching things.

Another thing that may hurt them is that they have all their stuff under the same brand name so most people know Yamaha by things like motorbikes, boat engines or stereo systems rather than musical instruments.

Interestingly on the bass, piano and keyboard side their gear seems to be quite respected.

Archived