Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of this Fender Lead II?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$550 for what looks like a very clean all original "vintage" (late 70's early 80's) USA Fender guitar is not unreasonable (imo). The hardshell case is a bonus.

Think about it. Your getting basically an early 80's strat neck, tuners, and pups thrown on an oddball body.

Comment

I had a Lead I when they came out - I really liked that guitar. Wish I had it now......

$550 sounds a bit high to me, but if it plays well and you like the feel.....? My only concern would be that it's getting into the "vintage" realm, which means that doing anything like swapping pickups would reduce the value. If you like it the way it is, though, it could well be a very nice instrument.
      Lease this space!

Comment

Here's a III which is currently at $700.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180291305097

It comes with the original molded case though. Looks pretty cool except for the weird pickups.
        -- Rainer

My Guitars (Updated 2011/07/02) • Schecter Society • Yamaholic • Reverend Congregation
        G&L Militia • Captain in the SG Army in Rock 'N' Roll alliance with the Mazi Bee Militia
        Beware of my Teutonic Terror

Comment

Here's a III which is currently at $700.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180291305097

It comes with the original molded case though. Looks pretty cool except for the weird pickups.

Those look like the original Seth Lover designed pups.

Ya, the prices on these guitars has climbed over the last few years.

Comment

^^^ Those humbuckers look huge on the pickguard. The guitar is a little smaller than a standard strat?

A few completed auctions.

Lead I - $433

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320297227289

Lead II - $450

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260284477599

Lead I - reserve not met at $535

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140262686369
            -- Rainer

My Guitars (Updated 2011/07/02) • Schecter Society • Yamaholic • Reverend Congregation
            G&L Militia • Captain in the SG Army in Rock 'N' Roll alliance with the Mazi Bee Militia

Comment

^^^ Those humbuckers look huge on the pickguard. The guitar is a little smaller than a standard strat?

I have not played one in many years but from memory they are def' smaller in the body than the standard strat size. Between say a strat and a Musicmaster type.

Seems those completed auctions reveal the asking price from the OP as around about the current value.

Comment

I have not played one in many years but from memory they are def' smaller in the body than the standard strat size. Between say a strat and a Musicmaster type.

Seems those completed auctions reveal the asking price from the OP as around about the current value.

It's an OK price for a store, yup.
                -- Rainer

Comment

It's an OK price for a store, yup.

The store would give me $325 in credit for my Rickenbacker copy,so I would cost me $225 to buy it.Still,if they only sell for $400 on Ebay I guess I won't get it.
                  One chord is fine. Two chords is pushing it.
                  Three chords and you're into jazz
                  - Lou Reed

Comment

You can more than 325 for your copy. You are being hosed on both ends.
                    DC in DC

Originally Posted by Mike Fiasco

DIY, the ultimate in wankery. Actually, wankery is the ultimate in DIY.

SPAM: My eBay Auctions!

My Good Dealings with, SPAM Thread, & Signature Quotes post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    HCEG PLATINUM TRADER

Comment

The store would give me $325 in credit for my Rickenbacker copy,so I would cost me $225 to buy it.Still,if they only sell for $400 on Ebay I guess I won't get it.

That's what they probably got it for, or much less.
                      -- Rainer

Comment

You can more than 325 for your copy. You are being hosed on both ends.

Ok thanks.I really had no idea what it was worth before I asked you guys.It is the 1st one I ever saw.
                        One chord is fine. Two chords is pushing it.
                        Three chords and you're into jazz
                        - Lou Reed

Comment

I remember when they came out. they had the reputation as being ****************y. They look like a fricking westone or something. Sad period for american guitars.
                          This space intentionally left blank

Comment

I have that exact guitar. Yeah it looks like turd, and you'll look like a giant playing such a dinky thing but it's not too bad.

There's not exactly bags of character in the thing but its simple and its dependable. The out-of-phase switch might be useful for you, too, but I don't tend to use it.

Comment

Hondo made a copy of the Lead; this is the only photo I could find:

http://home.att.net/~StevieLeavitt/hondo.jpg
                              There's only two things I'm afraid of---women, and the the C7+9+11 Chord.

Comment

Working...
                              X