So here I go with a whole new electric guitar setup...

brianwahl

• Members

I'm beginning to think I'll never settle with an electric guitar rig. Seems like I've bought/sold amps and guitars more than I should, but, here we go again.

Here are the guitars I've had:

Epiphone Les Paul Std

n525796457_82684_2368.jpg

(a long time ago...)

eh, I like Les Pauls, until I play one. They just don't feel right to me - even the Gibson's

PRS SE Soapbar II (looked just like this)

PRS%20SE%20Soap.jpg

Awesome guitar. I really liked the P90's on it. Played and felt great, too. But, I sold it to get what I thought was one of my dream guitars (within a reasonable budget, that is) - a...

Fender '72 Thinline Telecaster RI

2093462943_db9c016c58.jpg

Now I loved everything about this guitar. The look. The vibe. The sound. But, I HATED the neck, so off it went, and I bought a...

Fender Jimmie Vaughan Strat

2202172565_b39b5d5df6.jpg

This is my current #1, and I don't see it going anywhere soon. I never thought I'd like a strat, and that was based on playing my friend's SRV strat a few times. Who knew I'd love SRV's brother's guitar so much more. This guitar has one of the most awesome necks I've ever played. And it sounds pretty dang good, too. But in my quest of my favorite guitar, I realized I love tele's, so I decided to make a few...

The Wilburcaster I - the Pink Tele

2190178057_3585568fd2.jpg

I cut the body out of a solid chunk of ash with my Grandfather, who is a retired carpenter. The neck is a warmoth. Pickups are ToneRiders. The result is about a 14lb. tele that really doesn't play very well. I think we messed up the neck pocket a bit, so it's really hard to get a good setup. It sounds good and stays in tune and intonates well, though. I'll never get rid of it because it's the first guitar that I built. Which brings me to the 2nd guitar that I've ever built...

The Wilburcaster II - the Blue Tele (Wilbur is my Grandpa's name, btw)

2276851395_d900274a6c.jpg

As you can see, it's still "in progress". Actually, the guitar is completed, I just haven't taken photos of it yet. And the reason that I haven't taken new photos is because the neck pickup decided to die, so I need to replace it. The pickups are/will be a Seymour Duncan Little '59 in the bridge, and a Seymour Duncan Vintage Mini Humbucker in the neck. This would be my attempt at a les paul in a tele's body. The body is alder, neck from warmoth (and it's a really nice neck). The result is a really balanced guitar that plays really, really well. We must have got the neck pocket right on the 2nd one, plus I had a really good set-up guy set it up. I can't wait till I get the neck pickup replaced, cause this guitar is going to be awesome.

One thing about the blue tele - I happened to drill through the back of it in the electronics cavity. Oops. I was pretty mad at first, but I'm over it now. Character scar, I guess. Nobody else will have a guitar like it.

Next Post: Amps and Effects...

• Members

The Amps and Effects

I'm lumping amps and effects together because I've never in my life owned an effects pedal (that's all about to change). I guess I've always thought an all-in-one solution would be best :facepalm:

So, let's start this off - my first amp ever.

Line 6 Spider 1x12

line-6-spider-112.jpg

This was the original spider - so I guess that's a Spider I. Bought this around 1999 or 2000, so modeling was still kinda new. Thinking back, this amp sounded like absolute crap. I played that epiphone les paul through it. My idea of Epiphone Les Paul's might be different today if it weren't for this amp. I bought those two guitars because I was accepted into a travelling worship band kinda thing in college. Man, I had that crappy setup, I wasn't all that good at guitar (I was mainly a singer), and I had 0 (make that negative 100) stage presence. People must have thought we were kinda lame, haha.

I must have had some kind of faith in Line 6, because the next thing I did was buy a...

Line 6 POD 2.0

p9519.jpg

Well, I couldn't get that thing to sound good no matter what I did. But boy, did I love the technology, so I sold it and bought a...

Line 6 POD XT Live

2163410880_00992fa8a6.jpg

I played with it for a bit, and I ended up thinking that it was a pretty cool toy. It definitely sounded better than the POD 2.0, and sounded great through headphones. By this time, I was playing pretty regularly in church as a worship leader, and I could not for the life of me get this thing to sound decent through the house PA, which was the whole reason I bought it. So, I sold it.

Along the way, though, I picked up one of these...

Line 6 Guitar Port

Line_6_Guitarport.jpg

Now this was a pretty cool little gadget - especially the software side of it on the computer. It was GREAT for recording. Actually, I recorded every single electric guitar part (except one) on my latest album wit this and the PRS SE Soapbar II. I guess one day I decided I'd rather record real amps, and I sold it. Kinda wish I still had it, though.

So, back to the POD XT Live (at this point it was the Fender '72 Thinline RI) - About the time I decided I couldn't get it to sound worth anything through the house PA at church, bought one of these...

Peavey Classic 30

2115356673_046b9f45f8.jpg

My first experience with a tube amp! I was in tone heaven. This thing sounded increadible. I replaced the stock speaker with a Hellatone 30, and it just got better. No more modelling crap for me - no way - I'm a tube guy. I did run the POD XT Live through it, and that sounded pretty good. One problem, though. It was waaaaay to loud for what I used it for. I couldn't play it at home because it shook the walls. I couldn't play it at church because it shook the walls, and our congregation is mainly older people, so in the end I decided to sell it :cry:, and with the proceeds, I bought one of these...

Vox Valvetronix AD60vt

2166197681_922c057a24.jpg

Yep - back to modelling amps. I read all the buzz about the valvetronix stuff. Played one in the store and was impressed. Then I learned of these older "blue series" amps, and how they were so much better than the current line-up. I bought one sight-unseen. When I finally played it, I thought I was done searching. This was a great amp. Sounded good. Really versatile. I bought the footpedal for it so I could control everything. Effects built in, etc, etc.

Well, a few weeks ago I lead the worship for a big youth conference (a big, big step up from that deal I did back in college with the travelling worship band thing). For this conference they hire a pro sound guy and rent some serious equipment. Basically they get it sounding like a rock concert. At this point I'm playing mostly my Jimmie Vaughan strat through the amp. I figure I'm covered, cause this amp sounds good. Well, in that setting - big sound system, etc, it didn't. At all - sounded terrible. I'm still wondering if the sound guy just didn't mic it up or set it up right, but anyway, I was back on my search for my perfect amp, and I sold the AD60vt about a week ago.

NEXT POST: So, now that I don't have an amp at all...

• Members

:thu:I see you were wise to go with the Warmoth Pro neck on Wilbur II. You'll love that neck. Learn as you go, we all do.

Actually, both of the Wilburcasters have warmoth necks. The pink one has a thinner neck (the standard, I think), and the blue one has a thicker neck (I think it's the boatneck). I've learned I like a chunkier neck.

My Jimmie Vaughan strat has a soft v, which I love.

• Members

OK, so what's next?

When I came back from the conference, where my Vox AD60 underperformed, I hit up guitar center. My thoughts were that I need to go back to pure tone. Good tube amp, couple good pedals, and call it done. I play mostly in situations where I need great tone at lower volumes, so I figured I'd look into 5-15 watt amps.

So, I go to guitar center and first play the Fender Blues Jr. Sounded ok - didn't grab me, though. Next I played a Vox AC-15, and my search was over. My favorite band is U2, so I guess I should have known Vox would be the answer. It sounded great. Really great cleans. You could overdrive it without breaking any glass. I was hooked.

p35527.jpg

So, next amp... Vox AC-15. I've just got to find a good deal on a used one.

On to pedals.

Like I said earlier - I've never owned a pedal in my life. Lucky for me, Robert Keeley lives right down the road, so a lot of places deal Keeley pedals. I also picked up on what pedals all of my modelling stuff had modelled, and figured they had to be pretty decent.

So, for overdrive, I narrowed it down to a Tube Screamer or a Ratt, or something like that. I went to the local music place by my work, and they had the Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer in, so I played it through a Vox AC30 (no AC15's in stock). That thing sounded pretty awesome. Then the guy proceeds to tell me what I REALLY want is a keeley-modified TS-9, and from how he described it, I believe him.

TS9.jpg

Then I started watching YouTube reviews of overdrives, and found the T-Rex Mudhoney. Well that thing sounded glorious in every single example.

21725_1.gif

So, I made up a Christmas list on Musiciansfriend.com and sent it to all my friends and family. The TS-9 and the Mudhoney were on the list, and now they're gone, so I guess I know what I'm getting for Christmas.

So, the new setup will be as follows:

Fender Jimmie Vaughan Strat or Home-made Blue Tele -> Boss TU-2 (that's on the list as well) -> Ibanez TS-9 or T-Rex Mudhoney (my guess is the mudhoney will win) or both

So, basically, the only other pedal I think I'd really need right now is a delay. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep it under $200.

• Members

Wow - all these came in while I was writing that last post about what amp and pedals I want.

Buy back the Classic 30. I run a 112 in my bedroom, it's just all about working the controls so it sounds good at lower volume settings. Besides, you loved it! You know you want it. Come on, do it. Do it.

Haha - I did love it. The Vox has more of what I'm going for, though.

• Members

BTW, here is the review that really sold me on the T-Rex Mudhoney.

[YOUTUBE]0FYseH9AoMA[/YOUTUBE]

I really want something that will respond well to picking/strumming dynamics, and it sounds like this would be the ticket. Plus, it kinda sounds like a fuzz/overdrive/distortion pedal all in one.

• Members

Yes!!! Amazing amp!!!!! I can get fat dist with sustain at barely louder than tv volumes. And it obviously can get as loud as you would ever need.

But, you'd get bored and sell it too!
:)

Side note your vox should have worked fine thru the PA

Ha - I hope I wouldn't sell it that quick. I've had the same acoustic for about 8 years now - never plan on selling that one.

I think once I find the right amp, I'll hold on to it. And I agree - if it sounded good when I played it, it should have sounded good through the PA. I guess it wasn't mic'd up right or something. Oh well - it's gone now.

• Members

This is the correct answer. Game over.

I went through about 6-7 amps in the past year before I found the Deluxe Reverb.

I've never played a fender amp I liked, but I've never played one of those, either. I've played a hot rod deluxe, a deville, a blues jr., and a pro jr.

• Members

Yeah. Do yourself a favor and try one of those, specifically. It's nothing like the other 3 you listed. Doesn't hurt to try one before you commit to the AC15 (which is not a bad choice either).

Just...Trust me (and the thousands of other people who have made the Deluxe Reverb their no.1) on this one.

Archived