Guitar wiring: lead dress issues? (Firebird II CMT content)

Alex_SF

• Members

Summary of question: do I need to pay attention to "lead dress" principles designed to avoid ground loops and inductive signal interference (as used in amp building) when wiring a guitar, or does the tiny voltage of the signal inside the guitar (as compared to inside an amp) mean these things don't matter?

Backstory: maybe a couple of you will remember that recently I picked up a well-worn 1981 Gibson Firebird II Artist CMT, which had had the active Moog electronics disconnected and the original Series VI humbuckers just wired straight to the volume knobs & switch. Here's what the control cavity looked like when I got it (from this post):

3233645435_e98d617725.jpg

3234496024_3f24879ce2.jpg

After getting an RD Artist schematic from Gibson and briefly playing with the idea of hooking the Moog electronics back up, I abandoned that idea and decided to wire it to sound like a vintage LP, with a couple of custom touches using the existing mini-toggle switch holes. I sourced a '57 Classic for the neck and a Burstbucker Pro Lead for the bridge pickups (because the Series VI low-impedance pickups sounded utter crap without active electronics); I got new CTS pots, new Orange Drop caps, new mini-toggles, a new Switchcraft output jack, and a new angle pickup selector toggle switch is still on the way; and I've been wiring it up bit by bit over the past few days. Here's what it looks like now:

3324219336_18bbfac805.jpg

3323381809_2a8ef34947.jpg

3324219600_fd17a43c96.jpg

I'm following a "50s Les Paul" wiring diagram, and adding two features controlled by the mini-toggle switches: (1) a signal polarity reversal switch for the bridge pickup, to give me the option of a "Peter Green" effect like I had on my old Epi Boneyard LP, and (2) a kill switch that sends the switch output to ground. I've encased the new pickup leads in clear heat-shrink tubing to prevent shorts (especially when the "Peter Green" switch is engaged, making the braided shielding the "hot" lead), I gave the cavity another couple coats of conductive shielding paint, I'm using color-coded 22ga solid wiring (red for hot, white / black for ground) and I'm generally trying to make the wiring neat, clean, and easy to follow. At least that huge cavity for the Moog circuitry gives me plenty of room to work in.

So back to the question: do I need to worry about things like (1) star grounding / avoiding ground loops, (2) signal wires crossing at right angles and not running parallel to each other, or (3) signal wires getting too close together, as I would when laying out an amp? Or are those issues not such a concern when dealing with the tiny voltages existing between the pickup and the output jack? I didn't think too much about it until just today, probably because the internals of most guitars look like spaghetti as compared to the inside of a Harry Joyce amp, but as long as I still have time to carefully route the remaining wires, do "lead dress" issues make any difference in a guitar?

Archived