Reverand or Hamer - Help me decide

Woody_in_MN

• Members

If I don't sell my Gibson Les Paul studio I may not get either, but I am trying to decided on one of two options:

1) Hamer SATF - used - one or two very small scrapes - made in Korea. Has the stock humbuckers. $260

untitled1.bmp

2) Reverand Jetstream. Made in Korea. - new. about $400 on clearance.

PA181175.jpg

HAMER: I have kind of been wanting a Hamer since I have seen a couple posted in the last couple months. I like the double cut body style. A MIA is out of my budget. MIK is probably next best option. Some people say to swap out the PUP's are a must. Others say the stock is fine.

REVEREND: I have kind of been intrigued with Reverends since I saw a demo of a Reverend Volcano. Very impressed with the demo, but V guitars are just not comfortable for me. The two models that appeal to me are the Warhawk, and Jetstream. But I have never played any Reverend. The Jetstream has a long 25 1/5 inch scale, which concerns me a bit, but is not a deal breaker. The upside is that I think the PUP's s/b fine, and I would have no plans to swap them out.

Don't know how much it matters, but I tend to play blues/hard rock/classic rock, stopping short of metal.

So....what do you guys think?

- w

• Members

Look up Musictoyz.com They are blowing out both Hamers and some Reverands. The Hamers are like 200.00. They aren't a bad guitar really, but honestly Reverands are really really nice!! I would spend the little extra and get one. I think they had a Ron Ashton sig. model,set neck flying V with 3 P90's for under $500.00!

And someday treat yourself to a real US Hamer they are excellant. This is a steal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HAMER-USA-VINTAGE-1981-SPECIAL-ALL-STOCK-RELIC-DIMARZIO_W0QQitemZ140338038899QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item20accc8873&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

• Members

i've got a reverend dealer by me, they're real nice and have a good feel. sound pretty good, too, and i dig their bass contour thing. i give them props for being one of the few companies who're actually doing their own thing body shape and electronics-wise (except the lp-ish one i guess)

personally i'd go with the reverend, if not just because they're made out of korina, which gibson, prs, hamer etc seem to want to charge you quite a bit for. guess i'm a bit biased though...

• Members

I went with 'See a professional...' The LP is a damn nice guitar.

I can only speak for myself here. But I actually am seeing a therapist about this. I have way too many guitars and I can always find a way to justify another one. But I have to stop. This is self destructive behavior. Playing is more important than owning.

I had to stop myself from buying a Hamer this morning when I saw the MusicToyz blowout sale. I'm still fighting those GAS pains.

• Members

i've got a reverend dealer by me, they're real nice and have a good feel. sound pretty good, too, and i dig their bass contour thing. i give them props for being one of the few companies who're actually doing their own thing body shape and electronics-wise (except the lp-ish one i guess)

personally i'd go with the reverend, if not just because they're made out of korina, which gibson, prs, hamer etc seem to want to charge you quite a bit for. guess i'm a bit biased though...

I agree. I respect them for trying to be original.

- W

• Members

I went with 'See a professional...' The LP is a damn nice guitar.

I can only speak for myself here. But I actually am seeing a therapist about this. I have way too many guitars and I can always find a way to justify another one. But I have to stop. This is self destructive behavior. Playing is more important than owning.

I had to stop myself from buying a Hamer this morning when I saw the MusicToyz blowout sale. I'm still fighting those GAS pains.

I put that 'see a professional' out there kind of tongue in cheek. But its something I have actually have thought about. Guitars are about the only hobby that I throw money at. We all have to asses this on our own, but my collection has not got me into financial trouble, has not damaged my relationship with my wife, and if I acquire someting, something goes. I have actually gotten a little better in my dealing and am not losing as much money in my trades as I used to. It helps of a person can be a little patient in selling. But if its causing problems, then its worth analyzing.

Thanks for the posts guys.

EDIT: I made the decision to sell the Gibson before I thought of acquiring something else. The Gibson LP Studio is a superb instrument, but I just don't play it. For me, this is a lot of money to have tied up in a guitar that I don't play.

- w

• Members

my brothers band is endorsed by reverend and he has the same one you're thinking of getting but left handed and with a different bridge (that wilkinson is hot though!) and he really loves it! says the contour knob comes in handy a lot for him.

Check out his band if you want.

Exit The Ordinary is there name.

They had there one song in the movie "butterfly effect two"

after the sex scene the dude goes for a drive in his car and turns on the radio and it's "the place you are" by ETO

• Members

And someday treat yourself to a real US Hamer they are excellant. This is a steal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HAMER-USA-VINTAGE-1981-SPECIAL-ALL-STOCK-RELIC-DIMARZIO_W0QQitemZ140338038899QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item20accc8873&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

That is a screaming deal. Buy that and be happy.

I've had MIK Reverends and an MIA Reverend. The MIA Reverend is still here but both the Koreans are gone. Nothing wrong with them, but they just didn't click for me. Sterile, if you will. I have had several MIK Hamers and still have two. I have bought several USA Hamers and never sold one. I have a checkerboard early-80s Special or I would be on this one on eBay. It is seriously badass and you can always get near your money back if you are insane and don't like it. Buy it and don't look back.

• Members

That is a screaming deal. Buy that and be happy.

I've had MIK Reverends and an MIA Reverend. The MIA Reverend is still here but both the Koreans are gone.
Nothing wrong with them, but they just didn't click for me. Sterile, if you will.
I have had several MIK Hamers and still have two. I have bought several USA Hamers and never sold one. I have a checkerboard early-80s Special or I would be on this one on eBay. It is seriously badass and you can always get near your money back if you are insane and don't like it. Buy it and don't look back.

I feel the same way about the MIK Reverend.

In fact the one in your photo was mine. That old photos still floating around?

Played nice. Sounded nice, I just never bonded with it. Sold it to snoman97 and I don't think he has it anymore. At least its not in his sig.

Sterile is a good term.

:cool:

• Members

I feel the same way about the MIK Reverend.

In fact the one in your photo was mine. That old photos still floating around?

Played nice. Sounded nice, I just never bonded with it. Sold it to snoman97 and I don't think he has it anymore. At least its not in his sig.

Sterile is a good term.

:cool:

I did a search for pics on google - cause someone wanted them. It was pure chance I got yours.

- W