Is a 1990 Les paul standard Rare? Or worth 1900 dollars?

02-fatboy

• Members

So what do you guys thing a 1990 Les Paul standard is worth? Would anyone here classify a 1990 standard as being rare?

Would anyone here classify an Gibson ES 335 studio as rare?

Which guitar would you find to be more rare? A 1990 ES 335 studio or a 1990 Les paul standard?

What do you think the value of both these guitars are?

Here is my guess?

1990 ES 335 Studio probably between 1000 and 1500 dollars?

1990 Les Paul Standard probably between 1200 and 1500 dollars?

What are your thoughts?

• Members

$1850 shipped/pp'ed is not what I would call a horrible price. Go check TGP. $1700 shipped/pp'ed! Thats pretty good for a guitar like this. You keep refering to how much better shape every other guitar is....Other than the ding on the bottom my LP is mint. You are {censored}ing nuts. I have had offers of a Suhr Pro Series S3, Custom 22 and 24, and a few others. I would sa some think its worth what I am asking. Weren't you trying to trade like every guitar you owned for it like a month ago? A dime a dozen bro? You are {censored}ing nuts. Stick with the Hagstroms jackass

First off I no longer own a Hagstrom 2nd off your the one that is nuts if you have so many good offers than why don't you take them? I am sorry but it appears most people think a 1990 Les Paul for anywhere near 1900 dollars is way to much.

Hell a friend of mine just recently picked up a 08 Standard Plus which is a a step up from your standard and he paid 2000 dollars for it brand new. I am sorry buy your the only {censored}ing crazy one here.

• Members

Neither are rare nor sought after. If they are in great condition and play really well then they'll be worth a bit more than if they're just passable and a bit scuffed. 1990 was the era when Gibson was getting better, but was still some way from where it is now.

Actually, Gibson felt it necessary to release the Traditional line to offer a guitar like a '90, because the current standard has driften so far from the expected Les Paul mold. The late 80's early 90's LP's do have a fan base.

I would not call them rare, nor are they particularly valuable.

• Members

I have yet to find a les paul that I hate. I have play alot of them but over the years I have come to realize they all vary quite alot.

I love my 08 standard plus with the chambered body. I also like my friends 73 alot.

However in my own personal opinion my 05 Les Paul Classic is probably the best sounding and playing Les Paul that I have ever played or owned. Even my friend agrees with me on that.

Some people like that standard models more, but I love how hot the pickups in my 05 Classic are. It may not be the best looking Les Paul I have ever seen but its definitley the nicest sound and playing in my opinion.

With so many different guitars out there you can get a lot of opinions about price, sound, and whats best. I am not trying to bash anyone but just stating my opinions and what the average selling price is for a 1990 Les Paul.

Although its only my opinion 1850 seems like to much money. Thats probably why he still has it.

• Members

Actually, Gibson felt it necessary to release the Traditional line to offer a guitar like a '90, because the current standard has driften so far from the expected Les Paul mold. The late 80's early 90's LP's do have a fan base.

I was talking build quality rather than model. As for the traditional, I'm sure Gibson released it purely in the hope that more models would sell more guitars, recognising that some people do like a heavier guitar with swiss cheese instead of distinct body cavities.

• Members

First off I no longer own a Hagstrom 2nd off your the one that is nuts if you have so many good offers than why don't you take them? I am sorry but it appears most people think a 1990 Les Paul for anywhere near 1900 dollars is way to much.

Hell a friend of mine just recently picked up a 08 Standard Plus which is a a step up from your standard and he paid 2000 dollars for it brand new. I am sorry buy your the only {censored}ing crazy one here.

I'm pretty sure you meant to post this in the "For Sale/Electric Guitar" side of the forum.

• Members

I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong place I was trying to keep it out of a sale thread and I didn't want to be an asshole and trash the guys thread who is trying to sell the Les Paul for 1850. Although he seems like an ass. (just my opinion) Sorry I probably shouldn't name call I apologize.

• Members

This is the first les paul I ever owned (hence the old crappy photo, taken on my 1st digital camera 7 years ago)

1stlespaul.jpg

Is this 97 les paul standard excluded from the fan base?

• Members

I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong place I was trying to keep it out of a sale thread and I didn't want to be an asshole and trash the guys thread who is trying to sell the Les Paul for 1850. Although he seems like an ass. (just my opinion) Sorry I probably shouldn't name call I apologize.

You know, there is a backspace key for a reason... ;)

• Members

A friend of mine just recently picked up a 08 Standard Plus which is a a step up from your accepted and he paying 2000 dollars for it brand new. I am compassionate acquire your the exclusive {censored}ing disturbed one here.

Now I just feel like a complete dumbass as I just don't get what this is supposed to mean??????

I have purchased 3 Les Pauls used in the past 2 years.

94 Les Paul Studio Paid 600 dollars

05 Les Paul Classic Paid 1050 I think?? Maybe 1100? Can't remember it was around there.

08 Les Paul Standard Plus paid 900 dollars and gave up my Breedlove AC25SR plus that I had about 650 invested into. Basically it cost me 1550.

Anyways my Classic and my Standard are both flawless no dings dents scratches buckle rash etc.

So that is what I know about purchasing les pauls.

• Members

This is the first les paul I ever owned (hence the old crappy photo, taken on my 1st digital camera 7 years ago)

1stlespaul.jpg
Is this 97 les paul standard excluded from the fan base?

Actually, yeah. The theory is, after the employees wrestled Gibson away from Norlin in '86, afetr a couple of years to get back on their feet, they felt they had to prove themselves. I don't know that I buy that particularly, but there is that school of thought. Post '95, through '00 or so is it's own sort of era, as the post-Norlin Gibson matured, addressed some of the more glaring faults of the previous era, jacked up prices, and started the A&H division.

IMO

• Members

:wave:

You are crazy dude. Go look at my thread and NO WHERE does it say "rare." I posted a reply in a thread that said "I guess the fact that it is a 1990 and in good condition makes it rare." And now here we are? I have this up for $1700 over at TGP which is a fair price. Period. Go fuck yourself and to put your 335 studio and this LP in this same sentence makes you a Gibson retard.

• Members

Hell a friend of mine just recently picked up a 08 Standard Plus which is a a step up from your standard and he paid 2000 dollars for it brand new. I am sorry buy your the only fucking crazy one here.

I didnt take them because this guitar is very nice. And I may seem like an asshole because you not only came into a thread talking up your shitty guitar, but then talking down on my nice one :freak:

• Members

:wave:

You are crazy dude. Go look at my thread and NO WHERE does it say "rare." I posted a reply in a thread that said "I guess the fact that it is a 1990 and in good condition makes it rare." And now here we are? I have this up for $1700 over at TGP which is a fair price. Period. Go fuck yourself and to put your 335 studio and this LP in this same sentence makes you a Gibson retard.

Seriously you need help. You should take up some anger management. I mean its a fucking guitar man. Getting pissed over stupid shit because your trying to price jack people isn't my fault. The market sucks right now people are selling nice guitars cheap. I am sure your guitar is nice no doubt but fucking get real. I mean first its 1900 now its 1850 then its 1700 on a different site. ROFL. You are so fucking fucking stupid its hilarious. I just have to laugh.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a 335 alot of cool people have played them. You think because you have a Les Paul your better than everyone else?? I mean get over it and get over yourself. Good luck selling your fucking rare guitar. I mean come on. Noob.

• Members

Buy the way there are alot of really nice guitars out there whether they be Gibsons, Fenders, Agiles, Hagstroms etc. I have just found over the years I really like Gibsons and Fenders. I also have a Jackson that I really enjoy playing. I am not knocking any guitars or people for playing them.

I just think this guy is out of his {censored}ing mind and now he's pissed off too because he's trying to sell a guitar for way to much and I called him out on it.

If it was such a good deal someone would have bought it by now.

• Members

$1900 is not a good deal. Hell, you can get a Custom for that on a good day. It's a decidedly average or slightly-below-average deal.

I also don't think this thread was really unfair from the get-go or anything. Seems like the OP was just gathering general public opinion about a potential trade, which is pretty common here.

That said, this thread has just devolved into a mess of name-calling on both sides. Close it up and move on.

• Members

$1900 is not a good deal. Hell, you can get a Custom for that on a good day. It's a decidedly average or slightly-below-average deal.

I also don't think this thread was really unfair from the get-go or anything. Seems like the OP was just gathering general public opinion about a potential trade, which is pretty common here.

That said, this thread has just devolved into a mess of name-calling on both sides. Close it up and move on.

Sounds great to me. This whole thing has gotten carried away. Thanks for the input and the advice.

• Members

Buy the way there are alot of really nice guitars out there whether they be Gibsons, Fenders, Agiles, Hagstroms etc. I have just found over the years I really like Gibsons and Fenders. I also have a Jackson that I really enjoy playing. I am not knocking any guitars or people for playing them.

I just think this guy is out of his {censored}ing mind and now he's pissed off too because he's trying to sell a guitar for way to much and I called him out on it.

If it was such a good deal someone would have bought it by now.

I could care less if I sell the guitar or not. You keep saying $1900? Why is it so funny that I have a different price on a different site? So I forgot to change it. You keep saying how high the price is, maybe you should have ask me to PM you a bottom dollar and when it was $1900 then start a thread? You act as if i said "NO WIGGLE ROOM ON THE PRICE ASSHOLES" in my description or something. Sure 1,850 is a bit high. But anyone trying to sell something knows start high and come down. Its not bad enough that you "called me out" but you did it after the man had already declined my offer. Like putting down my guitar would somehow make yours look better. Lets not skew the facts here at all. First, you talk {censored} about my stuff in someone elses thread after the offer was already declined. I then asked if it was a joke or you were retarded. You proceeded to start a thread asking people if $1900 was too much (not even the right price). C'mon man wtf was the point of this. Of course I do not think I am better than you because of my gear. Yes the LP is many times better than the 335 but whatever. Why did you feel the need to "call me out" like a week after he had already said he didnt want the LP? Like I said before, were you not trying to trade like 3 guitars for it? I am just trying to understand your motives here.

Archived