Yamaha Pacifica

Florida_Gator

• Members

Hi guys,

New here -- I usually post in the acoustic section.

Wanted to ask the electric-experts about the Yamaha Pacifica line. Specifically, the PAC112J and PAC112V. First of all, what the difference between these two? Secondly, are they quite a bit better than the PAC012 models, or is it much more subtle? Yamaha's website makes it sound like quite an upgrade (better pickups, etc.)

Finally, what's the general consensus on the PAC012 and PAC112 guitars... compared with say, others in the $300-$600 range (Epi Les Pauls, used Strats, Hagstrom Ultra Swede, etc.)?

Basically looking at "first" electric guitars, but don't want to start at the bottom.

Thanks!

• Members

I have the pacifica 112v. I like it, and think it's well worth the money.

The 112V has a coil tap on the humbucker, which I find useful, giving you a more single coil sound on the bridge. Having become used to it, I now wouldn't want the 112J which I believe doesn't have it. It's also said that the 112V had other upgrades to the hardware.

I haven't played an 012 since I was looking for a first electric. It felt OK to me, but I went for the 112V mainly because of the better wood. Thinking that it would be a better upgrade platform if I decided to go that way. And, I still think I was right there.

In the UK, Pacifica 112Vs seem to turn up for less than full new price reasonably often. So I wouldn't feel the need to go for a 112J or 012.

• Members

The 112v also has the shortened pickguard [like on the 412v,612v and 812v],which makes for the tone/volume knobs and bridge humbucker pickup ring to be body mounted.I feel that this offers a cleaner,more upscale look.Btw,I have an orange flame top Pacifica 612v that I totally love.Like my 612v,the 112v is also a great platform for minor to major upgrading.

Ed

• Members

With Yamaha in general, and the PACs specifically, the only things you are paying for as you move up the lines are more bling or more upgraded components. When it comes to fit/ finish/ playability, the lowest 012 is the same as the 412, which is usually outstanding. I had a 302S which was the Tele copy and was one "step" below the highest end 402S. The only difference playing any of them was that the 102S had chrome hardware and mini pots, the 302S had gold hardware and mini pots and the 402S had gold hardware and full-sized pots. All of them great playing guitars. I now have a SBG500B that would slay any of the bolt on Epis in fit/ finish and sound.

Long way of saying with Yamaha, you just kinda pick what appointments you want and can be sure that no matter what, it'll play and look awesome.

• Members

There are some deals to be had used on Yamaha's also, since the name doesn't hold the same cachet as Fender, Gibson, etc., but as others have metnioned, they are great players at all price points.

The 90's 521, 921, etc can be found for $100-150 and are a steal.

• Members

Hi Florida (nice Yammie in your avatar).

You are asking about the 112V but then you add "compared with others in the $300-$600 range (Epi LP'S, used strats,etc.). This is very broad to compare it to. You are an acoustic player so the size of the neck might be a factor in your case. Lower end Pacs have a small neck that some really like and others don't. The 112V is a seriously nice guitar. I tried one recently and it was even better than I expected (and I expected much given its rather favorable reputation).

If you are very new to electrics, you may want to first determine which type of sound (humbucker vs single) and feel (short scale, long scale, upperfret accessiblity, neck size), weight, etc. you like the most.

• Members

Wow, great feedback (ooh, bad pun here I guess), thanks!

I did kind of expect good quality (and QC) from Yamaha (why should their electrics differ from their acoustics in that regard?)... but I was having a hard time differentiating their line-up. Sounds like the 112V is the way to go for Yamaha (if new, anyway).

Looking forward to trying it (plus some others) soon... any specific model suggestions to pit against it would be helpful too!

Jkater - sharp eye. That's my Yamaha LS6 in my avatar pic. Beautiful instrument.

• Members

A friend of mine has the PAC112J and I am actually going to install some BG V60's in the middle and neck positions today. He went with the 112 because of the great price and knowing the stock pups were going to go. I can't vouch for the playability but it appears to be a nice instrument for what he paid for it. Fine enough to throw in some quality pups.

• Members

Wow, great feedback (ooh, bad pun here I guess), thanks!

I did kind of expect good quality (and QC) from Yamaha (why should their electrics differ from their acoustics in that regard?)... but I was having a hard time differentiating their line-up. Sounds like the 112V is the way to go for Yamaha (if new, anyway).

Looking forward to trying it (plus some others) soon...
any specific model suggestions to pit against it would be helpful too!

Jkater - sharp eye. That's my Yamaha LS6 in my avatar pic. Beautiful instrument.

I have a 412v, and it's beautiful. Every 112v or 112j I have tried has been seriously great. My brother had a 112 years ago, and that was fantastic also.

Good luck with your purchase - you won't be disappointed.

• Members

First off, and most importantly, GO GATORS !!!! (I'm UF, Class of 1980)

As for your question, my favorite guitars in your price range are Schecters, but they're humbucking equipped for the most part.

Once you hit the $500-$600 area, you're getting into Made in USA G&L territory for strat-style guitars. The Legacy and S500 models both rock.

That said, I have a Yamaha SA2200 waiting for me in the foyer of my house. UPS dropped it off this am and I'm psyched. But I don't know the Pacifica models.

Hi guys,

New here -- I usually post in the acoustic section.

Wanted to ask the electric-experts about the Yamaha Pacifica line. Specifically, the PAC112J and PAC112V. First of all, what the difference between these two? Secondly, are they quite a bit better than the PAC012 models, or is it much more subtle? Yamaha's website makes it sound like quite an upgrade (better pickups, etc.)

Finally, what's the general consensus on the PAC012 and PAC112 guitars... compared with say, others in the $300-$600 range (Epi Les Pauls, used Strats, Hagstrom Ultra Swede, etc.)?

Basically looking at "first" electric guitars, but don't want to start at the bottom.

Thanks!

• Members

First off, and most importantly, GO GATORS !!!! (I'm UF, Class of 1980)

As for your question, my favorite guitars in your price range are Schecters, but they're humbucking equipped for the most part.

Once you hit the $500-$600 area, you're getting into Made in USA G&L territory for strat-style guitars. The Legacy and S500 models both rock.

That said, I have a Yamaha SA2200 waiting for me in the foyer of my house. UPS dropped it off this am and I'm psyched. But I don't know the Pacifica models.

You got an SA2200 today! :eek::thu: Don't forget the NGD tread. I'd love to see it.

• Members

Pacificas are a great bargain on the used market.

I'd stay away from the 400, 300, 100 models cause they don't have the cool neck joint you get in the 500, 700, 900, and 1200 series.

Not to mention the upgraded woods and hardware.

There is a 800 series also, some have the all access neck joint and some don't, just depends on the year I guess.

512 and 521 yamaha pickups and parts

712 alder body, locking tuners, vintage frets, better trem, stacked single coils

721 same as above with lic. floyd tremolo, jumbo frets

912 same as 712 with swamp ash and Dimarzio pickups

921 same as 721 with swamp ash, Dimarzio, adjustable locking nut

1212 and 1221 and 1230 better everything

If I were in your shoes I'd look for a 912 or 712.

Coming from a acoustic standpoint they'd be better fitting for you without the floyd.

I have two 1212's and a 912 myself, and they are just as good, if not better than some of the usa made guitars I own.

There just happens to be two 912s on Ebay right now, so you are in luck. No they're not mine..........not yet anyway!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-Pacifica-Guitar-912-HSS-Deluxe_W0QQitemZ170399782388QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item27ac9e55f4

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-PACIFICA-912-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-LOCKING-TUNERS-COOL_W0QQitemZ280415400122QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item414a0f70ba

• 8 years later...

Archived