Am I wrong here? Craiglist content....

orbm1

• Members

So I found a Cort Fly V in local craigslist for $150 (obo)

I first offer a trade for an amp I do not use anymore....

He replied, "no thanks"...

then I made a lowball offer ($75) looking for a counter offer....

He got aggraviatted.... I tried to talk start the negociating again asking for the lowest price he could go for and for better pics and his answer was again full of attitude...

Here is the transcript of the emails:

Me:

I have an amp that I could trade for your guitar....

interested?

Thanks

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msg/148.html

The guitar in the post it is not up for trade, only the amp....

thanks!

His reply:

No thanks!!!!

So I replied:

ok...

no problem...

would you take $75 for it?

His reply:

Come on man get real!!!! you must be like the majority of the people in this world do ya want this for nothing????? what i listed it for it's worth every penny, and you should probably go price a new one. a cort a new flying v sorry pal you couldn't touch a new v for under $400.00 come on get with it, im not about to give away for $75.00 sorry pal!!!!!!

I understood I could have been a little offensive with my low ball offer so I replied this:

Pal,

Chill out... you just can say, no thank you and counter offer... I am not expecting you to give it away either, I am looking for a good price on a guitar I do not need, just pure impulse buying....

if you want to get firm price do not write: 'or best offer"....

One thing, do not generalize, I do not know you and you do not know me...... I work hard to make a living and to make every penny I have.....

anyways.....

Let's try this again:

What would be the lowest you could go? and do you have any better pictures of it?

Thanks

His answer:

Don't ya suppose if ya need a good look at any guitar you should probably get in your car and look at something with your own eyes??? that you may or may not want to purchase??? come on man it's a no brainer here it's not rocket science, and to answer your question NO i don't have any picture's of the back of this v and if i was in your shoes i personally take a good look at it with my own eyes not what ya see just with a picture. and i really can't emphise this v its worth every penny of the $150.00 and no im not taking anything less than $150.00 for this v and no trades also

I really got frustated, so I replied this:

ok...

I am really interested in the guitar and I have the $150... but your attitude is really killing the deal.... of course I would like to check it out with my own eyes.... but good pics could help in the meantime.... and I never ask for pictures of the back of the guitar.... just better pictures to see what I was gonna spend my money on....

sorry pal...you just lost the sale....

Hopefully you have better luck with other people... but, change your attitude... if not you are going to end up selling that guitar for pennies....

take care...

His last reply (Which I am not planning to respond):

ok cool with me, personally i won't be loosing any sleep over the fact you don't want to buy my guitar. the way i look at this life go's on, and youre not the only person in michigan that's looking for a guitar

What do you guys think?

Omar :thu:

• Members

People that accept offers on eBay are the exact same way. Of course you're going to lowball them, that's how bargaining starts. It never fails. They say, make an offer. I do, and it's declined with no counter (or with an angry email). If you're firm on a price, then list it as such and drop the attitude...

• Members

I think after you lowballed him and he took offense, you should have left it alone and walked or made another realistic offer. Instead, you lectured him. If I were the seller, I would have said to {censored} off at that point.

Agreed.

Dude, just let it go. Even though you're not gonna want to believe this, you're the one who caused it to escalate.

He didn't want your amp. He didn't want your really {censored}ty offer. And YOUR attitude wasn't helping to smooth over the situation, either. You turned it into a lecture and came across as having an "I don't need you, you need ME, pal" attitude.

Get over yourself. You're both jerks.

• Members

Definitely write back. It looks like you're starting to wear him down.

Pure genius! :thu:

I've been on both sides of similar scenarios, and sympathize more with the OP than the seller, who could use a 'tude tweak.

Photos in particular - in a lot of cases I'm looking at 30-60min drives to see the axe, a couple of close-ups can save both of us time and energy, they may already be in-pocket, and they can be added to the ad to facilitate sale to others as well. Worth an ask.

Bottom line: ad phrases like "firm" and "no trades" go a long way in heading off unnecessary e-mails/calls.

• Members

Agreed.

Dude, just let it go. Even though you're not gonna want to believe this, you're the one who caused it to escalate.

He didn't want your amp. He didn't want your really {censored}ty offer. And YOUR attitude wasn't helping to smooth over the situation, either. You turned it into a lecture and came across as having an "I don't need you, you need ME, pal" attitude.

Get over yourself. You're both jerks.

A lecture? ok... Saying to him to stop the generalization and to negociate is a lecture?

I even said to start everything over asking for His best offer and for better pictures..... is that part of the lecture too?

and yes.... HE needs to sell the guitar, I do not need to buy it..... anyways... Thanks for your input....

:wave:

• Members

Pure genius!
:thu:

I've been on both sides of similar scenarios, and sympathize more with the OP than the seller, who could use a 'tude tweak.

Photos in particular - in a lot of cases I'm looking at 30-60min drives to see the axe, a couple of close-ups can save both of us time and energy, they may already be in-pocket, and they can be added to the ad to facilitate sale to others as well. Worth an ask.

Bottom line: ad phrases like "firm" and "no trades" go a long way in heading off unnecessary e-mails/calls.

And I just researched his ad and he has removed the "or best offer", also, in his ad he did not write anthing about "No trades." I am not a fortune teller...

Thanks again :wave:

• Members

If you've ever listed a guitar on Craigslist you'd probably understand the dude's frustration. The exchange went to {censored} when you told him to "chill out". Telling somebody to "chill out" almost always has the opposite effect.

If you wanted to know how low the guy would go you should have just asked.

• Members

There's a certain point where negotiations start and I've always viewed that as about 70% of the starting offer. You went 50%, I would view that as someone trying to lowball me and scam me out of my guitar and would probably take offense to it as well. I'd say $100 would have been a better starting point for you, at least keep it in the triple digits.

• Members

There's a certain point where negotiations start and I've always viewed that as about 70% of the starting offer. You went 50%, I would view that as someone trying to lowball me and scam me out of my guitar and would probably take offense to it as well. I'd say $100 would have been a better starting point for you, at least keep it in the triple digits.

Thanks!

I accept, I should have started the negotiation at $100.... but I thought maybe offering $75 and he was going to reply around $125 and I would have accepted....or maybe accept the $75... I have had situations where people accept those kind of low offers...

Now... :lol: I did not know that "chill out" was going to have such a bad impact to this guy (or anybody else for that matter) :lol: I have learned a lot of idioms (in English) and I thought I was using that one correctly.... :lol:

Now, I do sell stuff on craigslist and people sends low ball offer all the times, I usually reply in the lines of: "No thanks, but I could do ($$$)"

And I am not saying that I was or was not wrong... I just thought that the guy had an attitude, but maybe I did too without even noticed it!