$500 for an amp

Larry the Dog

• Members

NO GIGGING........just for at home. I just want it to sound good is all.

to sound good...hrmm..

ok,

good like joe pass?

good like metallica?

good like SRV?

good like skynrd?

etc..etc..??

What kind of stuff do you play?

Need a little more info than "I want it to sound good..."

that said, maybe consider an amp that will do it all so you have a wide range of tones to mess with. I'd recommend one of the vox VT series. I just got one and it sounds awesome. The 30 watt and up models also have a built in power attenuator which is great for late night playing. It'll give you pretty much any tone you're looking for.

Then again, maybe you don't want a modeling amp and want a pure tube amp.......... need more details.

• Members

to sound good...hrmm..

ok,

good like joe pass?

good like metallica?

good like SRV?

good like skynrd?

etc..etc..??

What kind of stuff do you play?

Need a little more info than "I want it to sound good..."

that said, maybe consider an amp that will do it all so you have a wide range of tones to mess with. I'd recommend one of the vox VT series. I just got one and it sounds awesome. The 30 watt and up models also have a built in power attenuator which is great for late night playing. It'll give you pretty much any tone you're looking for.

Then again, maybe you don't want a modeling amp and want a pure tube amp.......... need more details.

Sorry for being so non specific guys....my bad. Just asking for a bang for the buck kinda thing. Super high gain isn't my style......heaviest being maybe some VH, AC/DC, Sabbath, 'Electric' -era Cult. Like a decent clean channel too.....I use the neck pickup exclusively when I play clean, and I pick mostly with my fingers.

How do the cleans/od match up in my price range? Can the HT5 match the cleans on the VOX vt30? Can the VOX match up to the Blackstar on the gain side? Spiderjam? Is Line6 stuff really that bad? Might be my loss, but I just don't like Peavey. Jet City 20W 1/2 stack? How well does the HT5 take effects(just a cheap multi-unit)?

I'll be heading out there in 2 hours, so any thing good or bad to say about amps in the $500 range, I'd love to hear them.

• Members

Sorry for being so non specific guys....my bad. Just asking for a bang for the buck kinda thing. Super high gain isn't my style......heaviest being maybe some VH, AC/DC, Sabbath, 'Electric' -era Cult. Like a decent clean channel too.....I use the neck pickup exclusively when I play clean, and I pick mostly with my fingers.

How do the cleans/od match up in my price range? Can the HT5 match the cleans on the VOX vt30? Can the VOX match up to the Blackstar on the gain side? Spiderjam? Is Line6 stuff really that bad? Might be my loss, but I just don't like Peavey. Jet City 20W 1/2 stack? How well does the HT5 take effects(just a cheap multi-unit)?

I'll be heading out there in 2 hours, so any thing good or bad to say about amps in the $500 range, I'd love to hear them.

Looking at just jamming at home and based on your tastes.

If you gotta go tube, check out the Vox AC4TV and w/ a nice od pedal. HT5 sounds great overdriven but the clean tones left me wanting (though I haven't spent extensive time with it). If you're open to solid state look into one of the lower powered Peavey Transtube combos or the Tech 21 Trademark 60. If you need the versatility of a modeling amp, I like the Peavey Vypyr line and the older blue Vox modeling amps (the newer ones just don't sound the same to me). I specifically don't like the Line 6 Spider series, but the Spider valve sounds pretty darn good, but likely over kill in the volume department for home playing.