"Natural hand oils are better for the neck than anything" Myth?

jbandy10

• Members

I remember EVH saying this a while ago. Now we all know that EVH had said some stupid stuff, but what do you guys think about this?

Let me say 2 things though...

-Obviously the fret board needs lemon oil. I'm mainly talking about the back of the neck here.

-Before you start lecturing about "grease and grime" let's remember that you're supposed to play your guitar with clean hands. If you play your axe after eating a tray of hot wings, then obviously you are gonna have to clean it. duh.

• Members

I remember EVH saying this a while ago. Now we all know that EVH had said some stupid stuff, but what do you guys think about this?

Let me say 2 things though...

-Obviously the fret board needs lemon oil. I'm mainly talking about the back of the neck here.

-Before you start lecturing about "grease and grime" let's remember that you're supposed to play your guitar with clean hands. If you play your axe after eating a tray of hot wings, then obviously you are gonna have to clean it. duh.

Lemon Oil is also a myth. It works as a cleaner, but adds nothing to the wood in terms of conditioning.

Regarding the natural sweat, mine is not good for the guitar. I prefer a few thin coats of Tru-Oil on the back of the neck, and a little Roche-Thomas Premium Fingerboard Oil once or twice a year.

• Members

Lemon Oil is also a myth.
It works as a cleaner, but adds nothing to the wood in terms of conditioning.

Regarding the natural sweat, mine is not good for the guitar. I prefer a few thin coats of Tru-Oil on the back of the neck, and a little Roche-Thomas Premium Fingerboard Oil once or twice a year.

:thu:

• Members

Could it be the dry New Mexico climate? I don't know, but I don't want to ever finish that neck.

Probably the humidity (or lack thereof). I live in Maine (where it gets REALLY humid) and I had a guitar tech tell me that if you have a guitar with an unfinished neck, it must stay in its case during the summer. Or else. :evil:

• Members

Im of the opinion that wood doesnt need to be babied, and if you hand oil doesnt cut it- then put some kind of other oil on it IMHO

I have this ancient cutlery with rosewood handles, and theyve been through all kinds of hell and back- sitting underwater in sinks in grease and grime, through dishwashers using caustic washing powder, just years and years of crap and once you clean and dry them they look brand new... :idk:

• Members

Im of the opinion that wood doesnt need to be babied, and if you hand oil doesnt cut it- then put some kind of other oil on it IMHO

I have this ancient cutlery with rosewood handles, and theyve been through all kinds of hell and back- sitting underwater in sinks in grease and grime, through dishwashers using caustic washing powder, just years and years of crap and once you clean and dry them they look brand new...
:idk:

rosewood isnt maple nor mahogany. Maple flexes like a mofo, rosewood doesnt - which is why you see it used in cutlery.

• Members

Probably the humidity (or lack thereof). I live in Maine (where it gets REALLY humid) and I had a guitar tech tell me that if you have a guitar with an unfinished neck, it must stay in its case during the summer. Or else.
:evil:

If that were true my SG would be a pretzel. I left it hanging with no finish for two years in a non climate controlled environment in New England.

If wood was as prone to warping and twisting as many people seem to believe, historic buildings and antique furniture would look like they were designed by architects and carpenters from Whoville.

• Members

I use talcum or baby powder on the back of my guitar neck. Any oil, including that on my hands, makes it sticky and dust will stick to ANY oil and eventually builds up.

For example did you ever see a professional pool player put oil on his hands before playing a game......or powder?

That said don't want it on your strumming/picking hand and only use a small amount and keep it off the strings and fret board.

• Members

If wood was as prone to warping and twisting as many people seem to believe, historic buildings and antique furniture would look like they were designed by architects and carpenters from Whoville.

Wood used for framing is nailed to so many things that it doesnt twist too badly and wood used for trim or decorative is usually sealed, painted, stain or something.

• Members

also, everybody read:

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

he did sum srs research - and its not like its snake-oil expensive.

I've been close to purchasing it a couple of times. In the end I went with Roche Thomas.

Bore Doctor: $18.95

Fingerboard Oil: $2.68

Bore Doctor costs 7 times as much, not considering shipping.

Sure, $20 may not be much, but $3 is even less :)

• Members

Because we all know EVH has made only good life choices...:facepalm:

A bare neck should be oiled to protect it against all the crap your hands sweat out. The oil won't hurt the wood but all the dirty, acidic sweat will over time.

• Members

You obviously don't get to see many historic buildings?

Possibly because in the CONUS, historic means younger than it does in Bristol for example!

When I was there in the 70s the Fox Theatre was made into an historic, and it was built in 1931.

Not much time for a warp there.

• Members

On average a plain old damp cloth for cleaning is about all the preventative maintenance my guitars need....especially since they are not getting subjected to wild swings or extremes in temp and humidity or other severe conditions.

Oils and other board preps do look nice though.

• Members

I use talcum or baby powder on the back of my guitar neck. Any oil, including that on my hands, makes it sticky and dust will stick to ANY oil and eventually builds up.

For example did you ever see a professional pool player put oil on his hands before playing a game......or powder?

That said don't want it on your strumming/picking hand and only use a small amount and keep it off the strings and fret board.

Use your own hair oil. Try it, and don't laugh ;), run your hand through your hair before you play. That of course you have any or have a fairly good hygiene. If you never wash your hair forgetaboutit! :o

The natural oils in your hair work well with your body and make it easier to play.