Just bought a Gibson LP Custom 68 Reissue...Odd wiring?!??!

FearTheVoices

• Members

Well i noticed this right off when i was trying it out at the guys house, I have never played a LP wired this way. I am still trying to figure it out, It almost seems like all the volume and tone controls work together and they all affect the sound no matter what position you are in on the toggle switch?

Is this one of those fancy alternate wiring setups I am always hearing about or did someone just FUBAR this wiring job after they decided they did not like it stock(or did it come stock this way???)

Ill take pics if you experts can explain WTF is going on...

• Members

I can tell you right now that isn't stock with all that flux and the {censored}ty job on there.

You've got 4 caps in there; someone was trying to do something with the tone portion. Perhaps trying to make it like an EQ system of some kind.

how can i get it back to stock easily???

• Members

Is this one of those fancy alternate wiring setups I am always hearing about or did someone just FUBAR this wiring job after they decided they did not like it stock(or did it come stock this way???)

That would be option B, FUBAR.

Man, that's a sloppy ass job...what's with the torn piece of foam in there? :poke:

• Members

Yeah, you should be able to keep the pots as long as they're working OK. Those caps look like Silver Mica's. Good caps but may be a little bit of overkill in a guitar - then again maybe not. I would just clean it up, put it back to spec and see what it sounded like.

AL

• Members

god this sucks, i have no idea wtf the wires go
:(
The friggin toggle screwing me up, theres like 4 wires coming out of it

Just order some new pots and find the wiring scheme for that Gibson model. Take your time when soldering, and double check each connection.

If worse comes to worse have a tech do it for you.

Archived