Can anyone identify this weird Floyd Rose?

paulsitive

• Members

A little info: It came on a late 80's Washburn G-1V. All it says on it is "mfg. floyd rose patents". I cant find ANY info about it even from Washburn. It is interesting as you just string it right through without cutting the ends off the strings like a normal floyd. Any info would be amazing!

weirdtrem.jpg

• Members

It is a washburn either a "fine tune" tremolo or the "standard locking tremolo". These were the stock trem on the G/force series guitars with a V in the model number. Might be able to find some info on the part number on one of the washburn fan sites.

• Members

It is a washburn either a "fine tune" tremolo or the "standard locking tremolo". These were the stock trem on the G/force series guitars with a V in the model number. Might be able to find some info on the part number on one of the washburn fan sites.

so is that the actual name of this floyd? if so..quite simple. still cant find much info regarding it. I'm trying to figure out what size trem arm it needs. I got a normal 6mm but it seems to be a bit too small and too close to the body

• 5 years later...
  • Members

(sorry guys, something does not work. I can not post a normal answer. so I try it here.)

while searching the web for this bridge I found your website ...

Right now there is a "mad guy" selling one for nearly 300 bucks. *hoho*

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintage-Original-Floyd-Rose-Roller-Bridge-/191518827217?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c976962d1

I owe this Fame 763 by HONDO (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hondo_%28guitar_company%29)

Tremolo works nice.

What I love most is that the hight of the strings is reduced much less than on other tremolo-systems if one is bending up or down. If you bend up strongly with an Fender vintage strat tremolo (G-string major third) the strings wil come down an the string action becomes worse. This FR MfG. Trem. works via rolls which work against each other in a way.

Good solution for much less loosing string action.

Pictures I posted here:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33392392#post33392392 (if allowed to post that link)

Greetz

Michael

from germany

Mikkelle I've noticed you're having issues with posting. Can you please comment to this post with the following:

Are you in Europe or the UK?

What device (Mac, PC, tablet, etc.) are you using?

What OS and browser are you using?

Sorry you're having issues - they're trying to get that fixed, and need as much input from people who are experiencing the problem as possible in order to try to track down the cause.

Oh, and as far as the bridge, I suspect it was just one of Washburn's licensed takes on the Floyd Rose trem. They took his design, made their version of it as cheaply as they could (with various changes that they thought improved it and/or made it less expensive to build), paid the license fee, and put it on their guitars.

• 3 years later...
  • Members
Mikkelle I've noticed you're having issues with posting. Can you please comment to this post with the following:

Are you in Europe or the UK?

What device (Mac, PC, tablet, etc.) are you using?

What OS and browser are you using?

Sorry you're having issues - they're trying to get that fixed, and need as much input from people who are experiencing the problem as possible in order to try to track down the cause.

Oh, and as far as the bridge, I suspect it was just one of Washburn's licensed takes on the Floyd Rose trem. They took his design, made their version of it as cheaply as they could (with various changes that they thought improved it and/or made it less expensive to build), paid the license fee, and put it on their guitars.

Hi Phil,

some years ago ... ;)

Europe, Germany

PC

FF

• Members
A little info: It came on a late 80's Washburn G-1V. All it says on it is "mfg. floyd rose patents". I cant find ANY info about it even from Washburn. It is interesting as you just string it right through without cutting the ends off the strings like a normal floyd. Any info would be amazing!

weirdtrem.jpg
Those tremolo systems were made between 1986 to 1988 and were licensed by Floyd Rose.I bought a Fame guitar ( $ 50.00 ) only for the body. The problem with that system, at least the problems that I encountered, is that saddles are so tall that the low E saddle would flip over when I dropped the bar down.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Just FYI, I have this SAME tremolo on an old 83-84 Squire (Japanese) Strat.  The only difference is that it has one set of rollers on each saddle, not 2...and instead of a 2nd roller, it has an eyelet that you hook the string nut into.  And it's freaking IMPOSSIBLE to find replacement parts for, those eyelets can break over time, and I got a replacement back in the late 80s at a specialty guitar shop...should have asked them to buy a whole new replacement set, if I had known better 30 years ago.

Regardless...this is a Floyd Rose Patent tremolo (has no connection with Kahler), and it was a sorta common 6 point trem you'd see on these Japanese Strats that used to show up in guitar stores during the 80s, particularly on the lower end Squire line and Hondo brand guitars.  If anyone finds one of these single roller (vs double roller), please lemme know, I'm dying to find exact replacements..because they were surprisingly easy to tune, and they didn't drift out of tune as badly as other tremos.

• Members

I don't remember the company,  but it was called a B-52 Dive Bomber Tremolo. I actually purchased one new in the box back in 1981

and I want to say it was made by Rockinger ...Maybe?  not sure about that.  But I installed it on a Hondo Deluxe Series 752 Explorer.

Terrible tremolo. held tune for about 2 songs. finally tossed it and bought a Real Floyd Rose and never looked back.

EDIT: After some deep Net research,   It seems that these were made Overseas Under Floyd Rose Patents...

Could have been made by Gotoh or Reliable Hardware,  but they were probably NOT designed By Floyd Rose.

but I DO know that I purchased one in the box that was sold as a B-52 Dive Bomber and came with a Behind the nut locking clamp.

Archived