Diagnose my Mockingbird's "thin" sound

thinktank

• Members

I recently purchased a very nice used BC Rich Exotic Classic Koa topped Mockingbird from Ebay. The guitar is in great shape but when I finally plugged it in I was surprised. It is equipped with Rockfield Mafia humbuckers and I was expecting a very heavy humbucker sound but what came out was closer to a tele or single coil guitar, almost twangy.

So any out there with experience with Rockfield Mafias, Mockingbirds, or just want to add your two cents feel free. Here is the list of likely culprits for the thinness:

1. Set up with 9's for some reason (I have a set of 11's at the ready)

2. The neck is a maple neck through with maple stringers thus making the the guitar almost half maple.

3. The fretboard is ebony and I have heard that adds some snap to the attack

So what say you?

• Members

I recently purchased a very nice used BC Rich Exotic Classic Koa topped Mockingbird from Ebay. The guitar is in great shape but when I finally plugged it in I was surprised. It is equipped with Rockfield Mafia humbuckers and I was expecting a very heavy humbucker sound but what came out was closer to a tele or single coil guitar, almost twangy.

So any out there with experience with Rockfield Mafias, Mockingbirds, or just want to add your two cents feel free. Here is the list of likely culprits for the thinness:

2. The neck is a maple neck through with maple stringers thus making the the guitar almost half maple.

So what say you?

4. It's a B.C. Rich.

Seriously... if it sounds that thin, it's a wiring or pickup problem.

• Members

I understand you were joking but are BC Rich's known for being thin? The mockingbird doesn't have any coil splitting switches installed, just the usual three way toggle, master volume and a tone for each pup. I have always loved the body style and the koa one that I have has been discontinued so I jumped at the chance to buy one. Most of my auditory experience with how the guitar "should" sound comes from J.D. Cronise of the Sword, he's played the exact same guitar for years and his sound is thick and heavy.

Strangely when playing with lots of overdrive/distortion cranking the tone all the way down makes it sound much more like a heavier humbucker. I am not much of a tech, is there any way to see if something was done? I can pop the back panel off and take a look.

I don't know if this is related but I did notice that 6 out of the 8 pup ring screws (not the 4 pup height ones) were rusted on the top.

Please keep the help and advice coming

• Members

I'm not familiar with that model. It may just be the pickups aren't that great. Or the previous owner wired them wrong. You may want to upgrade to Seymour Duncan or something similar someday. I'd recommend a JB at the bridge and a '59 at the neck. Do you know of someone who could look at the guitar's wiring for you?

• Members

So what say you?

You're right, all three of those factors will make a guitar sound thinner and bright. I'd just start with changing the strings. Try a set of EJ roller wound strings, they will really cut the thin bright edge. But whatever you might have laying around, be sure to try stringing it up with "pure nickel wrap" not "nickel plated". The pure nickel wrap warms things up and upping the gauge will even take it further. 11s should make a big impact on the tone, but if you go with the style or composite I suggested, you might be happy with 10s. :idk:

I have a NJ Classic MB myself. It has different pickups, still neck thru, but I don't recall "thin" being an issue the last time I had it out. Of course, check to make sure your pickups aren't too close to the strings.

Mockingbird001.jpg

Mockingbird005.jpg

• Members

Lower the pole peices via their screws so they are about flush with the top of the pup. A good 1-2 turns lower then they are now. Lower the bridge pup about a screw turn and raise the neck pup about a screw turn. The rockfield pups Ive played where brighter then I prefer, but lowering the pole peices helps tame that. Actually I like the BC Rich BDSM pups a little better then the rockfields. Or for bit chunkier neck pup the emg H1 neck pup.

it is also possible someone wired the stock ones on yours for single coil at the factory rather then humbucking. Since they get used in guitars with coil tapping by BC Rich too.

• Members

I agree with the opinions about the Duncans and EMGs, I have them in both my ESPs and they rip. I am going to pop open the back tomorrow and compare it to the duncan wiring diagram NHLfan provided. I can take it to my tech next week and see what he thinks.

It's really a shame because the guitar looks and feels great, a joy to play and the koa top looks killer, especially since they don't make it anymore. I listened to the Rockfield Mafia pickups on their site and that's really why I can't understand why they sound so different. I don't mind that they sound different than my duncan, emg, filtertron, and other assorted humbuckers. I just want them to sound like humbuckers and not single coils. It's a strange sound to hear coming from such a wicked guitar.

Here is a photo for those who like to look:

classicmockingbird02.jpg

• Members

Here are a few pics of the wiring after I popped off the back. The wiring looks pretty tidy to me. On the far left you have the volume for the bridge, then the 3-way switch, volume for the neck and then the tone. Is it odd that the far left volume is for the bridge? If it were for the neck it would be mirroring the orientation of the pickups on the top of the guitar.GAS man, is your Mockingbird the same way?

Tell me what you think guys, I appreciate your help and feedback!

CIMG1535.jpg

CIMG1534.jpg

• Members

Maple neck thru guitars are bright, but sounds like a wiring problem, pickups are in single coil ( one coil off ) mode or possibly out of phase.

Have a tech check it.

i'd +1 this.

im a wiring noob, cant really tell if there is any problem in the control cavity wiring.

bss on the above premise, the faulty wiring might originate fm inside the bucker. one quick way to check is simply by tapping a small screwdriver to each coil's poles. if one of the coils is dead, the tapping should be much quieter.

....i think....

good luck...

PS : thats a damn fine looking guitar btw :love:. when all fails, i'd be willing to relieve you fm it. just send it over :)

Archived