Difference in sound between coil split / series / parallel wiring?

kirs

• Members

I have a guitar that was wired a while ago for 2 Humbuckers, 2 Volumes, 2 Tones, 3 Way Switch, 2 Series/Parallel. While the parallel sound is nice, it sounds to me more like a humbucker with less overall range than what you think of when you think about the single-coil sound.

I broke one of the push-pull switches and need to swap out the pot and was considering trying out a different wiring. Does the standard coil-split (not hum-canceling) sound any closer to a Strat pickup or P90? I'd like a nice tonal variation between the configurations and would possibly do the Jimmy Page mod later if the standard split sounds good and I want to add out-of-phase to the mix.

Anyone experienced with this?

• Members

My aria pro II has all that crap on it. Phase switch and on board distortion too.

It's a fun guitar but it doesn't REALLY sound like a strat no matter how I set it up. Split humbuckers are not single coils.

And the many sound differences are not hugely drastic where you're like "it's a completely different guitar!". No. Much more subtle.

DSC05315.jpg

• Members

I have rewired a PResque CE24 to do three way two HB, three way inner coils and three way outer coils. I hated the 5way tone selections after a while.

All 9 tones are different and noticeably so.

There is a bit of tele in the outercoil bridge, a lot of strat in the inner coils and so on.

Its versatile but YMMV depending on the pups you split.

• Members

I have a variety of wiring set ups on my various guitars. My Tele has dual DiMarzio humbuckers (Air Norton/neck, Tone Zone/bridge) both wired for coil split. Unlike a lot of split humbuckers (from what I read) neck pickup sounds fantastic in single coil mode. I can get a very nice clean Fender-type sound out of it.

I have other humbucker guitars with series/parallel switching and I generally use the neck pickup in parallel for a slightly thinner sound with better note articulation, although I always use the bridge pickup in series. On my PRS Santana SE, I have a Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge that is wired with a three-way mini toggle for series/parallel/single switching. This set up gives the most tonal variety, although requires drilling into the body to install the switch, as opposed to just dropping in a push-pull pot for two-way switching.

• Members

Does the standard coil-split (not hum-canceling) sound any closer to a Strat pickup or P90?

Anyone experienced with this?

I think some have misinterpreted the op's question.

parallel is not the same as split coil. Instead of the 2 coils being run in series they are run in....... uh! parallel! Like the 2 and 4 positions on a strat. It has the advantage of no hum but, as noted by the op sounds more like a thinner humbucker.

Splitiing the bucker into just using 1 coil will get you "closer" to a strat sound but, unless the pup is specifically designed for it, that's what you will get, something close.

Some folks like it, some don't. I prefer parallel vs split but not always. The only way to really find out is to try it out. That means if you don't lile it you have to go back to the soldering iron and try another option. yymv.

• Members

I think some have misinterpreted the op's question.

OP "Does the standard coil-split (not hum-canceling) sound any closer to a Strat pickup or P90? I'd like a nice tonal variation between the configurations and would possibly do the Jimmy Page mod later if the standard split sounds good and I want to add out-of-phase to the mix"

sounds like a question about coil split to me but YMMV

• Members

Split coils will give you a lot bigger tonal difference than parallel vs series, but I have yet to hear one that sounds like a strat. I kind of like parallel wiring because it's got a sweeter type of tone to it.

If you're really bored though you could do the Peter Green mod where the humbuckers are out of phase in the middle position. I did it permanently on my AL3500 and dig it a lot. I never really used the middle position (and my Gibson is still wired stock) but it's an actual difference that's very usable IMHO. The whole series/parallel/split thing is kind of gimmicky sometimes. I think that when something tries to do 50 things it doesn't do any of them really well usually.

• Members

The whole series/parallel/split thing is kind of gimmicky sometimes. I think that when something tries to do 50 things it doesn't do any of them really well usually.

+1 on that.

To doctor49, prolly was me that misinterpreted, not unusual. I'd blame tryptophan poisoning but that would be an excuse. I take personal responsibility for my turkey consumption.

Archived