Gibson "Pre Historic" Reissues - '83 to '93

GreatDane

• Members

I'm not a Les Paul guy, but those are gorgeous. Good synopsis, too. One of those could definitely change my mind about LP's. Is it me, or do these seem proportioned ever-so-slightly better than the so-called "historics"?

they are very nice looking. i was trying to find even better pics of each example, but not a whole lot out there apparently.

regarding comparisons to the newer re-issues, i'm no expert, but i think there are aspects of this era that are similar to the original, but probably more about them that is inaccurate. i think these all had short neck tenons, for example. does it matter? i imagine it does if you're looking for an exact replica of a '59. does it matter to me? nope.

my guess is someone like Wyatt knows a heck of a lot more to answer this question than i do. hopefully he'll see this and weigh in.

• Members

GreatDane, I agree -- definitely don't need an exact replica. These just seemed a but narrower in the waist and reminded me more of the Page No. 1. Maybe it's just the grain....

could be, or could be the angle of the body in the shot. i haven't read anywhere that they were sizing the bodies any differently (or shaping the contours/dimensions any differently). again, i don't profess to be an expert, by any means.

• Members

could be, or could be the angle of the body in the shot. i haven't read anywhere that they were sizing the bodies any differently (or shaping the contours/dimensions any differently). again, i don't profess to be an expert, by any means.

Yeah, probably just the angle of the shot. Very nice, nonetheless....

• Members

I found this article a while ago. I'm interested in what pickups came in these pre-Historic reissues, before the Bill Lawrence change, as I think Mark Knopfler got some of my favorite tones (such as Brothers in Arms) from just such a beast; an 84 or 85 if memory serves.

I still don't know what pickups they came with. Which is the first hurdle, quite separate from the leap of faith that MK didn't change his out for something else.

• Members

I found this article a while ago. I'm interested in what pickups came in these pre-Historic reissues, before the Bill Lawrence change, as I think Mark Knopfler got some of my favorite tones (such as Brothers in Arms) from just such a beast; an 84 or 85 if memory serves.

I still don't know what pickups they came with. Which is the first hurdle, quite separate from the leap of faith that MK didn't change his out for something else.

yes, it's an older article. well, if it was a '84 or '85, then the guitar stock would have had Shaws in it. very desirable from some collectors' perspective.

• Members

I always was under the impression that Knopfler used an actual '58 and '59 burst live and in studio. At least that what it was listed as in an article I saw of his guitars in the studio for Kill to get Crimson.

• Members

I always was under the impression that Knopfler used an actual '58 and '59 burst live and in studio. At least that what it was listed as in an article I saw of his guitars in the studio for Kill to get Crimson.

Oh sure, but that's current. He seems to like those plain-top 58s and 59s. Didn't have those in the 80s. Whenever I've looked into what he was playing during those Brothers in Arms, Money For Nothing sessions, I keep turning up that flamed cherry '84 pre-Historic reissue.

http://ds.mk-guitar.com/knopfler-les-paul.htm

Shaw pickups, huh. I'm reading "collectible" as "expensive." :cry:

• Members

I guess this would be a Pre Pre Historic, then. Les Paul Heritage Standard 80, made in 1980. The Standard had a rosewood fb, and 3 piece mahogany neck with a flame top, the Elite had a 1 piece neck with ebony fb. They were made in Nashville and saw the return of the small headstock/deep dish top carve that we so love. At the time I heard that 6,000 total were to be made, 3,000 each of the Standard and Elite in two finish choices, TSB and CSB.

They retained the Norlin body outline, with a wider cutaway, compared to a vintage LP. The logo is typical Norlin. Came with Tim Shaw designed pickups. All models came with two serial numbers, the standard Gibson sn, along with a series number, this one is 0138. I did see an Elite at the time (the boss was keeping it) with 0009 as a series number. That one had already faded to a greenish hue at about a year old, and it had stayed in the case the whole time. I bought mine from the guy who slipped it out from under my nose at the store, about a year later.

Picture055.jpg

Picture056.jpg

Picture057.jpg

• Members

I have to disagree. I have a 1992 quilt top build by Tom Murphy that is a superb instrument in finish, tone and playability. :thu:

Sounds like a big waste of money. Why would anybody buy a "pre historic"? These guitars were made during a time when the quality of Gibson was at a low point.

• Members

If you bought one of these guitars in the 80's or early 90's I'm not going to knock anybody.

The 2010 59's are *a lot* closer to owning a real 59 than these guitars.

If you are looking for the closest thing possible to a burst without spending 25K on a Max, a 2010 R9 is the way to go.

• Members

This is true. I had one back in 93/94 (purchased from Scott Silver's old store). It was a great guitar in every sense of the word but if you held it up to a regular Les Paul it was shaped a little different - the cutaway was slightly different and the waist was a little off as well.

That being said, it was a killer guitar.

Archived