Fender Mustang I amp speaker upgrade???

Misha

• Members

When I get one, I'm going to see if I can cram a 10" speaker in there... I've upsized speakers in a couple combos. Usually as long as you keep the volume below the max, it's a big improvement towards making the amp sound bigger.

I have an extra Weber Signature 10S that will be the first one I try.

For 8" speaker recommendations, other than the various Webers, the Jensen Mod8 gets pretty decent reviews, but I've never used one.

• Members

When I get one, I'm going to see if I can cram a 10" speaker in there... I've upsized speakers in a couple combos. Usually as long as you keep the volume below the max, it's a big improvement towards making the amp sound bigger.

I have an extra Weber Signature 10S that will be the first one I try.

For 8" speaker recommendations, other than the various Webers, the Jensen Mod8 gets pretty decent reviews, but I've never used one.

Thank's for the Jensen Mod8 suggestion! I really have no clue about 8'' speakers!

I read that it is possible to put a 10'' in the Mustang I if you make a new baffle. I will put a 8'' in mine though because I want to keep it light. It's not that I'm not satisfied with the sound, it's just that if it can get even better for a few $$, then why not!! :o

• Members

I, um, opened the back on mine and took some measurements. It looks like you could cram a 10" in there.

I don't know much about speaker cabs, but I don't see why you would have to mod the baffle. The baffle will overhang around the edges, but I don't know if that would alter the sound significantly. Maybe it will? :idk:

What DOES alter the tone in a nice way is actually leaving the back open. If I do get around to modding this amp, I will probably build a new back panel that's open.

I like the jensen mods in my 2x12 crate v18, and they sound send great w/my super twin. Not sure if that will translate to a nice sound 8" speaker though. They are inexpensive enough that you could try them, maybe the web signature series as well. Honestly, I think the stock speaker sounds pretty good. Maybe if you try enough 8" speakers you could build a 4x8 cab - be kinda cool looking!

• Members

That would be my plan... put the 10" in there and either cut down the stock back to maybe 2/3rds closed or just build a new one. And I'd put that muting output jack in as well.

Usually as long as you can safely mount the speaker, you can put a bigger speaker on the baffle intended for the smaller speaker. It will very likely be offset and the baffle would likely limit excursion if the speaker is at full volume. I can't imagine I'd ever run the Mustang I that loud and I usually get more enjoyment out of an amp like that at practice levels or even a bit lower. I have plenty of loud amps for when I want to be loud.

:lol:

My actual goal would be to remove the stock speaker and build another baffle and screw that baffle to the existing baffle for a little extra weight to the amp.

• Members

I, um, opened the back on mine and took some measurements. It looks like you could cram a 10" in there.

I don't know much about speaker cabs, but I
don't see why you would have to mod the baffle
. The baffle will overhang around the edges, but I don't know if that would alter the sound significantly. Maybe it will?
:idk:

I just mean that the hole is cut for a 8'' speaker. You need to make it larger for the 10'' speaker. That's all it needs, I think. (Sorry if I poorly expressed myself, it's a French-English thing: It's often hard for me to describe small parts of bigger objects...)

What DOES alter the tone in a nice way is actually leaving the back open. If I do get around to modding this amp, I will probably build a new back panel that's open.

I like the jensen mods in my 2x12 crate v18, and they sound send great w/my super twin. Not sure if that will translate to a nice sound 8" speaker though. They are inexpensive enough that you could try them, maybe the web signature series as well. Honestly, I think the stock speaker sounds pretty good. Maybe if you try enough 8" speakers you could build a 4x8 cab - be kinda cool looking!

a 4 X 8 cab: good idea!! :cool:

• Members

That would be my plan... put the 10" in there and either cut down the stock back to maybe 2/3rds closed or just build a new one. And I'd put that muting output jack in as well.

Usually as long as you can safely mount the speaker, you can put a bigger speaker on the baffle intended for the smaller speaker. It will very likely be offset and the baffle would likely limit excursion if the speaker is at full volume. I can't imagine I'd ever run the Mustang I that loud and I usually get more enjoyment out of an amp like that at practice levels or even a bit lower. I have plenty of loud amps for when I want to be loud.

:lol:

My actual goal would be to remove the stock speaker and build another baffle and screw that baffle to the existing baffle for a little extra weight to the amp.

Hummm... I think I'll remove the back to hear how it sounds!

Question: with "a little extra weight", what will it do? Only solidify the cab or do you hope it will change the tone as well?

• Members

I just mean that the hole is cut for a 8'' speaker. You need to make it larger for the 10'' speaker. That's all it needs, I think. (Sorry if I poorly expressed myself, it's a French-English thing: It's often hard for me to describe small parts of bigger objects...)

I think it would be ok to mount the larger speaker, even with the smaller hole in the baffle. As cratz mentioned, you could make another baffle with the correct size hole in it and mount it to the original baffle - should provide enough clearance.

Please post when/if you do try a different speaker though.

• Members

You guys crack me up. Upgrading a $90.00 amp why didn't you just get something that sounded better in the first place.

Because 30$ - 40$ for a new speaker plus 120$ CAD for the amp is not going to make me any richer or significantly poorer. However, it will get me busy for a few hours!

I own more expensive amps, BTW. I ain't gonna put my hands inside of them!

Different toys for different persons, I guess!

• Members

I think it would be ok to mount the larger speaker, even with the smaller hole in the baffle. As cratz mentioned, you could make another baffle with the correct size hole in it and mount it to the original baffle - should provide enough clearance.

Please post when/if you do try a different speaker though.

I'll post when I'll try something! If I don't have to order the speaker and then wait for it to arrive, I should get back to you before the end of the week about it! ;)

• Members

You guys crack me up. Upgrading a $90.00 amp why didn't you just get something that sounded better in the first place.

Seriously? Are you on someone's payroll to constantly knock every thread relating to the Mustangs? :lol:

You're too smart of a member to keep wasting your time like this. We are obviously idiots for thinking anything short of a Diezel (or whatever it is that you play) is acceptable.

Or are you secretly guitarmandp? You guys should really hang out you short-sighted bastards. :lol:

• Members

My point is unless you are planning on running the Mustang all the way/maximum loud, you do NOT have to cut the hole to mount the larger speaker.

You WOULD need to if it was front mounted, but at least the Mustang II is rear mounted. Just remove the stock speaker, center the 10" speaker as well as you can, and screw it down.

I doubt adding more weight would make it sound much better... maybe slightly more bass when the back is off. I'd mostly do it to make the amp slightly more solid more than anything else.

• Members

I mean, it's obvious that you hate the Mustang and your fatass bandmate smashed one so you think there's no way anyone could possibly get any use out of it... but really... how is upgrading the speaker in a Mustang any different than upgrading the speaker in a DRRI or a Silverface Twin?

:idk:

You like the basic amp, you want it to sound different, you make it sound different. Pretty simple thought process. :poke:

• Members

My point is unless you are planning on running the Mustang all the way/maximum loud, you do NOT have to cut the hole to mount the larger speaker.

You WOULD need to if it was front mounted, but at least the Mustang II is rear mounted. Just remove the stock speaker, center the 10" speaker as well as you can, and screw it down.

I doubt adding more weight would make it sound much better... maybe slightly more bass when the back is off. I'd mostly do it to make the amp slightly more solid more than anything else.

I didn't know it would be ok to put a 10'' speaker in a 8'' baffle. Thank's for that information! I won't use the Mustang I to play loud. Just bedroom volume.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Like my wife just said... "It's like consummating a marriage! It AIN'T yours until you Fool around with it!" :lol:

But yeah... I think whatever you do to make it "Yours" that's cool! :thu:

I was thinking doing this:

1. Get a Mustang V head.

2. Buy two 1X12 cabs and load them with custom speakers

3. Then place them about 5 to 10 ft. apart in my studio for some sweet stereo FX. :cool:

• Members

I aplologize the mustangs are the bomb best under a 100 amp out there. How foolish I have been.

Despite your trolling tone, I actually agree with you. I have a Mustang I and it is, quite possibly, the best sub-$100 amp I've ever owned, however, I save my modding for tube amps. Not that replacing the speaker in a low-cost SS amp is a bad idea, but the whole point of the Mustang is to give the player access to a bunch of different amp tones and effects. For this reason, whatever speaker is stock SHOULD be the most versatile and the best choice.

As for suggestions on a replacement speaker-if you can't squeeze a 10" in there, I'd say don't bother...

Archived