Opinions on Raven West guitars

darren0203

• Members

Which model? I own a RG5200-NT which I absolutely adore. Amazing guitar. Beautiful, great quality, and WICKED FREAKIN HEAVY. Like, same weight as my '76 Gibson Les Paul. HEAVY.

The weight keeps me from playing it a lot, but it's probably the best looking guitar I own.

The models with the gold plating on the hardware have issues with the plating wearing off where your hand meets the bridge. Mine has worn a bit, but it doesn't bother me much. Scale length is 25.5"

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

• Members

its a hit and miss. i've seen more misses on RWGs than hits.

most people that do buy it say its a beautiful guitar, but

when it comes to you, you have to spend another 100-300

on fret work, truss rod work, electronics, and bunch of upgrades

on hardware.

if you can, try buying it used, so that way the previous owner has already

fixed most of the problems...hopefully.

if you can, try steering towards an agile though.

• Members

you could email the site. He's pretty good about returning them.

I did send him an email but I guess i'll have to wait till monday to find out. It sucks because i need a guitar thats 25.5'' scale, and if I don't purchase it, somebody else might and I think it's absolutely gorgeous.

• Members
I did send him an email but I guess i'll have to wait till monday to find out. It sucks because i need a guitar thats 25.5'' scale, and if I don't purchase it, somebody else might and I think it's absolutely gorgeous.

are there any of that model here in the reviews database? Maybe someone has the scale length posted if so.

• Members

its a hit and miss. i've seen more misses on RWGs than hits.

most people that do buy it say its a beautiful guitar, but

when it comes to you, you have to spend another 100-300

on fret work, truss rod work, electronics, and bunch of upgrades

on hardware.

if you can, try buying it used, so that way the previous owner has already

fixed most of the problems...hopefully.

if you can, try steering towards an agile though.

Problem is i'm a lefty.

Ive thought of Agile and the only thing i really like was thier 7 & 8 strings, I wouldn't mind owning a 7 string again but never an 8 those just sound like bass guitars to me.

I was hoping to find something with a natural wood finish.

• Members

Problem is i'm a lefty.

Ive thought of Agile and the only thing i really like was thier 7 & 8 strings, I wouldn't mind owning a 7 string again but never an 8 those just sound like bass guitars to me.

I was hoping to find something with a natural wood finish.

As I already said, the Ravenwest RG guitars ARE 25.5" scales. The major variation between models is simply wood and pickup arrangement. For the record, the pickups are surprisingly AWESOME. Great quacky strat tones and such.

And while I am a huge agile enthusiast, my Ravenwest is BETTER than any of my Agile or Douglas guitars.

• Members

their website lists this as a phone # 626-309-0411

It also has thier hours listed as not being open, guess it's worth a shot.

Arr0wHead, your a lefty, sell me yours, also that looks like my furniture...actually I think thats some kind of furniture kismet and by default you must sell me your guitar.

• Members

If I ever score the birds-eye bubinga/alder/bubinga model I'll gladly sell you mine.

You lost me on the furniture kismet.

The best advice I can give is just watch the auctions and keep trying. Mine was my fourth attempt to win one.

Well you said it was 25.5 so i bought it here is a pic.

Let me know if do ever want to sell yours i'll buy it.

• Members

I've owned two original Ravens, and two Raven Wests. The original Ravens were on par with Dillion. Fantastic Korean made guits. RWGs are hit or miss. One (RG-450, PRS semi-hollow copy) is great, the other (satin spalted maple neck through Tele copy) was bought new from RWG on ebay, listed as "no blem", and had blems galore.

If you're going to look for one, look for a used one, and ask all kinds of questions. The good ones are great, but the bad ones are FUUUUU.....

• Members

I've owned two original Ravens, and two Raven Wests. The original Ravens were on par with Dillion. Fantastic Korean made guits. RWGs are hit or miss. One (RG-450, PRS semi-hollow copy) is great, the other (satin spalted maple neck through Tele copy) was bought new from RWG on ebay, listed as "no blem", and had blems galore.

If you're going to look for one, look for a used one, and ask all kinds of questions. The good ones are great, but the bad ones are FUUUUU.....

I would have liked to have done that but it is hard enough to find new guitars when your a lefty. I've been shopping around for months with no luck, hopefully this was a hit and not a miss, and thanks to everybody for all your input.

• Members

I've a couple of RWG guitars. One is an LP copy and the other is a Tele knockoff.

The LP copy stock pickups that didn't work very well with a live band so I put in a pair of SD Pearly Gates. Really sweet axe. The guitar has always played superbly which should scare the hell out of Gibson considering it's a MIC guitar. Actually, that shouldn't bother Gibson at all since they have a state of the art factory there that makes their Epis. I suppose it's just a matter of time until they move Gibson production there as well but that's a whole 'nother thread.

The Tele copy actually has some decent stock P90 pickups and I have gigged quite a few times with this axe and it worked quite well. Recently though it's had an issue with frets lifting. I'll probably try a mallet to see if they'll go back in place but what I'd really like to do is find a nice maple/maple 22 fret Tele neck to replace the stock one. I dunno, I just feel like a Tele should have a maple board and it just bugs me when they don't. :idk:

Archived