What chords is Gary Moore playing?

AlexMC

• Members

I've just spent a couple of days tabbing out the studio version of Gary Moore's cover of Peter Green's 'If You Be My Baby'...

Awesome song, full to the brim with quality blues licks... I want to learn it note for note, but there are no tabs available anywhere so had to do it myself.

I'm pretty confident I've got it 99.9% correct but am having ridiculous difficulty figuring out the chords played at 6:12 and 6:17 in the live version:

[video=youtube;SnPxL8NHKxg]

Can anyone help, please?

• Members

Thanks for all the responses... I had a real aural block on those chords. Tried the G7 at the 10th fret but it didn't sound right. The G9th then D#9->D9 was spot on. I'm getting better at working out single-note lines but still no good identifying chords.

Now, should I just scan the tabs and save as a PDF for upload, or re-enter the whole lot into PowerTab? Never used it before and it seems a little fiddly. I'm getting old and useless at learning new things!

• Members

Alex, the "chord hit" at 6:12 is done by the band, bass, horns and whatnot. If you're asking what Gary actually plays, no one here can say (it's all blended isn't it?) but it's a G chord and the whole thing sounds dominant so, yes, in absence of all that orchestral support a simple G9 will work. If you're playing alone, you may want to choose a 9th chord that has some lower bottom notes to it, 32323x or just x2323x for example, so the "10th fret" idea is not your only choice.

As to 6:17, that's a little more interesting and I thought it was that turn around that you were asking about. I took my guitar and pulled the chords out, then it seemed that you only needed the last chords of it, the half step move from above landing on the D9. For anyone interested, I think it's worth looking at the turnaround sequence of chords as it is simple yet tasty and useful. here it is in detail:

D xx0232

D7/F# 2xx21x

G 3x000x

Bb/G# 4x333x

A x0222x

D#9.....D9 x6566x......x5455x

• Members

Alex, the "chord hit" at 6:12 is done by the band, bass, horns and whatnot. If you're asking what Gary actually plays, no one here can say (it's all blended isn't it?) but it's a G chord and the whole thing sounds dominant so, yes, in absence of all that orchestral support a simple G9 will work. If you're playing alone, you may want to choose a 9th chord that has some lower bottom notes to it, 32323x or just x2323x for example, so the "10th fret" idea is not your only choice.

As to 6:17, that's a little more interesting and I thought it was that turn around that you were asking about. I took my guitar and pulled the chords out, then it seemed that you only needed the last chords of it, the half step move from above landing on the D9. For anyone interested, I think it's worth looking at the turnaround sequence of chords as it is simple yet tasty and useful. here it is in detail:

D xx0232

D7/F# 2xx21x

G 3x000x

Bb/G# 4x333x

A x0222x

Thanks for that. That is what the rest of the band is playing.

• Members

I just learn stuff from the recording and store it in my head. If I use Tab I never seem to learn it properly, but the act of working it out and writing out the lyrics seems to make it stick. Let me know if you're the same.

Since day 1 of picking up the guitar I've pretty much exclusively learned songs note-for-note from tab... however this has resulted in me having a lousy ear and a total inability to improvise over backing tracks. I came across this song and loved the sheer variety of simple licks Gary uses throughout... it's also a great example of mixing major and minor pentatonics over each chord which is something I'd like to improve on. I started to learn the song by ear and store it 'in my head' but at 6.5 minutes I was having difficulty remembering all the variations and ran out of ideas fairly shortly.

I searched everywhere for commercial and amateur tabs but they just don't exist, so I thought I'd have a go myself. Now I can learn the whole song through without having to remember each lick, bend and slide, plus it's helped my ear training and ability to place notes within a rhythmic framework (ie bar lines) which I've always found tricky.

I'd really like to record this song myself, but whilst I can handle guitar/bass/drums/vocals I think I'd have real difficulty working out then programming in the horns and piano... and without them the arrangement would sound very sparse.

• Members

D xx0232

D7/F# 2xx21x

G 3x000x

Bb/G# 4x333x

A x0222x

The fact that Gary's chords sit within the mix is what made it hard for me to figure them out! But I have come across that #9th->9th turnaround before and should have recognised it.

• Members

I'd really like to record this song myself, but whilst I can handle guitar/bass/drums/vocals I think I'd have real difficulty working out then programming in the horns and piano... and without them the arrangement would sound very sparse.

So, guitar and bass parts worked out... can anyone help with the piano chords, please? It's kinda buried in the mix and I'm not a keyboard player...

I've got my MIDI keyboard plugged into Reason 4.0; D7/G7/A7 seems to fit, played:

LH RH

D F# A C

G B D F

A C# E G

Can anyone advance my understanding here?

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Hi guys,Vittorio's here,first post in The forum

can someone put The entire chords progression of The song?

Given that link with better resolution

i think they are:

1 0:35 (X5455X or XX10910X?)

2 0:50 (X1091010X ?????)

3 0:56 (X5455X ???)

4 1: 00 (X1091010X ???)

5 1: 06 (X12111212X ????)

6 1: 08 (same as 1?)

7 1:13 (bending...where?)

8 1:18 (bending on XXXX1917)

9 1:23 (?????)

10 1:28 (?????)

11 1:33 (same as 4?)

12 2:15 (same as 1??)

13 2:20 (same as 1?)

14 2:29 (????)

15 2:39 (?????)

16 5:25 (same as 4?)

Hope someone can confirm and help where i can't understand

thanks in advice!!!

Vittorio

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Hi guys,Vittorio's here,first post in The forum

can someone put The entire chords progression of The song?

Given that link with better resolution

i think they are:

1 0:35 (X5455X or XX10910X?)

2 0:50 (X1091010X ?????)

3 0:56 (X5455X ???)

4 1: 00 (X1091010X ???)

5 1: 06 (X12111212X ????)

6 1: 08 (same as 1?)

7 1:13 (bending...where?)

8 1:18 (bending on XXXX1917)

9 1:23 (?????)

10 1:28 (?????)