Godin Solidac / Highway One Tele

JohnnyDD

• Members

I'm looking at trading my wine red Hwy 1 Tele w/ zip-up-the-side non fender gig bag for a very clean Solidac (brown) w/ nice godin bag.

Seems like an equitable trade. I don't really like the hwy 1 frets, can't get the action where I want it; and I love Godins. But I'm second guessing myself. The Godin used prices are much lower than Fender. Both models have been blown out at unreal clearance prices before and I think their new retail street prices were about the same (excluding clearance prices).

There's not much info on Solidac's, so I'm looking for more opinions on this guitar/deal.

• Members

If you're looking at it from a purely monetary value standpoint, you may be right in thinking the Fender would be worth a little more. However, if you think about it from the standpoint that you'd be trading away a guitar you've admittedly not bonded with and do not enjoy, and you'd be getting in its place, a guitar you feel that you'd enjoy playing more, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I think the two guitars you've mentioned are close enough in monetary value that the enjoyability factor would make up the difference. It's not like you're trading a Gibson Les Paul Custom for a Squier. If you're concerned about the disparity in value, ask for a little cash your way.

• Members

Straight up guitar vs. guitar you definitely get more features in the Godin. The bridge is enough for me, but having the piezo is also a really cool feature. Even if you're not a fan of the acoustic-esque tones, the piezo can add a percussive quality that can't be replicated with magnetic pickups.

That said Tele's are awesome, but my ideal Tele would have a piezo vibrato bridge and at least a middle single coil, but also some sort of HB in the neck (probably a P-Rail).

I'd go with the Godin because I wanted a Solidac before they were discontinued. I also already own a MIJ Fender '69 Thinline (modded with a six saddle bridge, Joe Barden bridge PU, and a SD 59 in the neck) and a G&L ASAT Special, so I'm covered in the realm of Teles...although some will argue about that given that I don't have a stock Tele.

For you, however, it's really a question of a guitar that you don't like for a guitar that you do like. Yes the value of the Fender is inflated due to the name, but the Godin is HIGHLY underrated and certainly undervalued for the same reason. Get the better guitar for you. Don't forget to post some pics of the Godin.:thu:

Archived