Clips of 5 diff Amps w/strat - same riff

wagdog

• Members

Had some time today to crank up and record 5 of my amps clean channel (where channels were an option) with mostly the same riff/chords. Cranked up the twin pretty loud in an attempt to get some kinda crunch - not much there.

Guitar was a stock srv strat neck/mid pickup

Anyway, here's the clip:

http://soundcloud.com/wagdog-1/allamps

0:00 - Twin (project amp, 4x6V6)

0:24 - Champ (project amp, 6L6 8" and 10" speaker)

0:46 - Peavey Classic Head and 4x10 (stock)

1:11 - Hot Rod Deluxe (stock)

1:40 - Rivera Clubster 45 (stock)

EDIT:

Here's the same amps, same order, same guitar (neck pickup only though), but with a seymour duncan twin tube classic overdrive (lead channel) in front of 'em.

http://soundcloud.com/wagdog-1/allamps-od-strat

That overdrive definitely brings out the differences in those amps. My ears are ringing from the twin.

EDIT AGAIN:

Getting kinda carried away here, but, after I did the OD clip above, I did roughly the same take w/a baja tele and the OD. Here is a clip of the same amps, in the same order, but through the magic of reaper, first the strat, then the tele, same amp, same settings:

http://soundcloud.com/wagdog-1/allamps-od-strat-tele

Peavey Classic was my favorite. Sounded immediate and full. Strong presence and best balance between bass and treble.

Hot Rod Deluxe has probably the best overall character and personality. Very sweet.

I initially liked the Rivera Pubster but after the Classic and HDR it sounds a touch like a muffled HDR.

I like the Champ because it sounds raw and real.

Interestingly in this group I found the Twin to be my least favorite. Too bassy and not enough presence.

YMMV

• Members

I liked the Champ the best followed by the Rivera. I think some more knob tweaking was in order for both but I liked them because they sounded the most distinct to me.

I do like that Champ (built that one and am building another). I've gigged the rivera a few times, and the clean channel cranked is just magic on that thing.

Thanks for the listens and comments folks - appreciate that you took the time. It was very instructive for me to hear the amps while NOT playing through them!

• Members

Interesting test. First time through listening to the whole thing in sequence I like the Twin the most. Then I jumped around from section to section and my opinion changed.

I'm not sure which I ultimately liked best but the Twin and HRD are similar and I would put them in 1 category. The Champ and Rivera were also similar and I would call that another. The Peavey was somewhere in the middle.

I suppose if I had to pick purely on this clip I'd chose the HRD and that surprises me a little.

I just listened again and I can't pick. I really liked the Peavey this time.

• Members

Loving the Peavey, I tend to be biased towards them though, haha.

The champ was cool too. This is a neat experiment.

I do like that peavey. When I bought it, it was broken and I bought it w/the intention of fixing it and selling. Once I fixed it, and heard it, I was like, hmmmmm.... don't really want to sell that!

Here's the same amps, same order, same guitar (neck pickup only though), but with a seymour duncan twin tube classic overdrive (lead channel) in front of 'em.

http://soundcloud.com/wagdog-1/allamps-od-strat

That overdrive definitely brings out the differences in those amps. My ears are ringing from the twin.

• Members

Clean I liked the HRD best, twin and PV 2nd. Didn't like the Riv..too muffled.

W/dirt I liked the Classic best, and really liked the Riviera too.

All sounded damn good tho:thu:

Thanks man. That rivera likes to be cranked up, that's for sure. Loves humbuckers too, much more so then any of the other amps (actually the peavey's overdrive channel responds well to humbuckers).

• Members

That's interesting. I've always used a mild overdrive pedal to assess amps when buying them, it can really highlight some of their inherent characteristics which you can easily miss when played totally clean.

Personally I could cover pretty much everything with the Twin and the Champ. The HRD sounds harsh and crude compared to the others, almost like the difference between miking the centre and the edge of the speaker. I'm assuming your mic technique was constant, and I've had pleasing results with HRDs in the studio myself, is it the stock speaker?

• Members

Had some time today to crank up and record 5 of my amps clean channel (where channels were an option) with mostly the same riff/chords. Cranked up the twin pretty loud in an attempt to get some kinda crunch - not much there.

Guitar was a stock srv strat neck/mid pickup

Anyway, here's the clip:

0:00 - Twin (project amp, 4x6V6)

0:24 - Champ (project amp, 6L6 8" and 10" speaker)

0:46 - Peavey Classic Head and 4x10 (stock)

1:11 - Hot Rod Deluxe (stock)

1:40 - Rivera Clubster 45 (stock)

EDIT:

EDIT AGAIN:

Getting kinda carried away here, but, after I did the OD clip above, I did roughly the same take w/a baja tele and the OD. Here is a clip of the same amps, in the same order, but through the magic of reaper, first the strat, then the tele, same amp, same settings:

Alright. I'm listening through my bi-amped monitors so I can get a good comparison.

Clean:

Edge goes to the HRD. It just sounded fuller and had more range through the tonal spectrum than the others.

1st OD sample:

Slight edge goes to the Twin with a close second to the Peavey. The Peavey sounds good though and I do favor the crunch of EL84 tubes.

2nd OD sample:

Still the edge goes to the Twin. There is something about that one that just opens up and breathes where the other amps don't. The Peavey still sounded great and the HRD sounded tons better in this sample than the other one.

My experience with the HRD is that you can get the OD channel to sound good if you work with it a lot but it's much better just to play with it through the clean channel and overdrive it with a compressor and a dirt or gain pedal instead. Then you can make it sound kick ass like that Twin sounds.

Archived