How do you all protect the knobs on your pedals from being bumped/kicked etc...?

guitarman3001

• Members

Now that I've gone back to a regular pedal board, I find that a lot of times my toes are hitting some of the knobs on a couple of the pedals and I'm constantly having to adjust them.

Also when I put the whole board in its case the knobs tend to get bumped and when I pull the board out I have to go over every pedal's settings to get them back where they belong.

One of the worst culprits is my dano fish n chips. I kick the sliders almost every time I turn it on or off.

Am I the only one with this problem? Any ideas what I can do to solve it?

• Members

Here's a few suggestions:

tape on top of the knobs.

practice to know where the pedal is on the board, so you can hit it without looking.

pull the knob covers off to dissuade them getting turned.

mark the settings that you like with a sharpie and get used to adjusting them back before playing.

I do the second, and last one.

• Members

You could hook all of your pedals up to a switcher and turn them on and off via the switcher (while performing). As far as how to avoid this during transport, I don't have any suggestions other than take photos of the settings so you can re-set them after unpacking.

• Members

I like Joe Bonamassa . That looks like Gaffers tape. Similar to painters tape.

I like how he's defensive about 4 amps. Pretty down to earth.

EVM 12L's:thu:

Oh yeah... and the bumblebee caps, they fooled him too !

Anyhow just learn where your stuff is set, you might need to change it, in which case having it taped or gooped could be a hassle.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I use rubber washers under the knobs on the pedals that have exposed knobs. This adds enough resistance to where you can tweak the pedals by hand but you cant just accidentally tweak then with your foot easily. The washers cant be seen and you wont have all that sticky tape glue ruining your expensive pedals.

I invented the washer trick from playing my Steinberger. Its got a volume knob with even a worse placement then a Strat and I kept turning the volume down accidentally when strumming the guitar. I eventually tried some soft rubber washers under the knob and my problem was fixed.

If course you loose the smooth contour with the added resistance but the control remains fully functional.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived