Do you want an Agile model with Stainless Steel frets?

TaZMaNiO

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by DonP
No.
Have you ever played a guitar with SS frets?

If not try a Gibson Supreme next-time you get a chance...effortless string bends and the frets last forever!

Personally, I'm tired of playing guitars that are in various stages of fret wear wink.gif

• Members
Originally posted by TaZMaNiO

Have you ever played a guitar with SS frets?

If not try a Gibson Supreme next-time you get a chance...effortless string bends and the frets last forever!

Personally, I'm tired of playing guitars that are in various stages of fret wear wink.gif
No, but I wouldn't start with an Agile. I'd start with a Jackson.

Or a Charvel.

The Gibson Supreme is a very good choice, but I have 3 LP's already. I don't like frets that wear out either.

• Members
Originally posted by DonP

No, but I wouldn't start with an Agile. I'd start with a Jackson.

Or a Charvel.

The Gibson Supreme is a very good choice, but I have 3 LP's already. I don't like frets that wear out either.
Some people like me have "knock-around" guitars, I really don't like taking my LP Supreme to bar gigs...

I'd also like to have an LP copy that has SS frets, since it wouldn't be worth refretting it'd be nice if I never had to worry about that wink.gif

• Members

Some people like me have "knock-around" guitars, I really don't like taking my LP Supreme to bar gigs...

I'd also like to have an LP copy that has SS frets, since it wouldn't be worth refretting it'd be nice if I never had to worry about that wink.gif
Excellent point.

I don't get why people wouldn't want to see a low cost guitar with high end features. Even if you never buy one, why rain on someone elses parade?

The AL-3500 is a pretty serious guitar. Add a S/S fret option and it only makes it more so.

• Members
Originally posted by pete n.

Strings wear out faster but strings are cheaper than a re-fret.
I don't know about that. A refret is what, about $150? A set of strings is like $5.

1 refret = 30 sets of strings.

That means if you go through more than 30 sets of strings between refrets, then the refret is cheaper.

• Members
Originally posted by JimboJ

I don't know about that. A refret is what, about $150? A set of strings is like $5.

That means if you go through more than 30 sets of strings between refrets, then the refret is cheaper.
Yeah, you're right. Maybe I should say less of a pain in the ass than a re-fret.

• Members

only in the same time span...

if you go through more than 30 packs of strings more, but also get an extra 6 months playing, then it's still a bonus...

• Members
Originally posted by pete n.

Strings wear out faster but strings are cheaper than a re-fret.
Why do you feel that strings wear out faster?

I have a number of guitars with stainless frets, and I've never noticed strings wearing any quicker (although I do change them very frequently).

The highly polished stainless frets are smooth as glass for effortless bending, and there can't be that much friction between the strings and frets to cause accelerated wear.

Why would there be less friction, causing less string wear, with nickel alloy frets?

But then again, I can't remember ever having a string break at a fret, no matter if I am using stainless or nickel alloy fret wire.

• Members

i think my strings last just as long as the did before. maybe even more because the frets are so much smoother, it doesnt wear the strings out either. i am a big string bender and have not noticed any accessive wear problems in my strings.

• Members
Originally posted by leftyjay
i think my strings last just as long as the did before. maybe even more because the frets are so much smoother, it doesnt wear the strings out either. i am a big string bender and have not noticed any accessive wear problems in my strings.
LOL...by the time I wear-out strings on SS frets, they would have been tone-dead on nickel silver just the same cool.gif

• Members

I think SS frets would be good because they'd stop your guitar changing in feel. As frets wear the feel and tone of an instrument changes (you may even need to raise the action to compensate). In addition, when you have a refret done it's not unusual for the guitar to change quite significantly in how it plays and sounds. If SS frets prevented that then it can only be a good thing.

• Members
Originally posted by OldFenderGuy

Why do you feel that strings wear out faster?

I have a number of guitars with stainless frets, and I've never noticed strings wearing any quicker (although I do change them very frequently).

The highly polished stainless frets are smooth as glass for effortless bending, and there can't be that much friction between the strings and frets to cause accelerated wear.

Why would there be less friction, causing less string wear, with nickel alloy frets?

But then again, I can't remember ever having a string break at a fret, no matter if I am using stainless or nickel alloy fret wire.
Theres no way my strings are wearing out any faster than with regular frets. In fact, the strings may even sound better longer. The only possible drawback to SS frets IMHO is a slight change in tone. It's not worse or better, just a tiny bit different. And I'm not even sure about that. I have had my Warmoth SRV neck for over 2 years now and the frets look and play like the day I bought it. This neck for many reasons has improved my technique and playing. I know when I tell people that my guitar is a MIM std strat they kind of look at me funny and in disbelief.
I'll never buy regular frets again.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

But that's like comparing clipping your toenails to having major surgery.

And you're going to have to replace the strings anyway.

• Members

***BINGO***

Give that man a cigar!
Cuban, please.

A friend of mine had his old LP refretted and it cost closer to $300 than $150.
Plus he worried about it the entire time it was gone.
He got it back and the guy did a good job but it was a traumatic experience for him.

Archived