Fender: Small changes in their Design

EJ_Boy

• Members

For example, my 92 MIM strat has a silver "fender" logo on the headstock. I saw a 95 MIM strat which had a black "fender" logo. I think the bridges are a little different between these two guitars as well.

Why the subtle changes? Management / branding corporate bs? Main reason I'm asking is bc I want to learn to spot a fake.

Is it normal to have these little changes year after year?

• Members

Different series have different style logos and/or as times progress, Fender just chooses to change the style. I don't understand the part about mgmt/branding corporate BS, as companies tend to update their logo(s) over time.

If you want to spot a fake with regards to logos (MIM, I presume, since it's what you're comparing), then for starters, take a look at the 2 different MIM standard logos. It used to be silver with a black outline and a serial on the front of the headstock up until and including 2009 I believe, but now it's black with a gold outline and serial on the back (2010 and beyond).
All completely black logos denote a Fender Squier Series guitar, and the serial numbers will point to the mid 90's. There should be a small decal on the ball of the headstock that says "Squier Series"; it was sanded off if it's not there.
The other logo you should familiarize yourself with is the "spaghetti" logo, which is usually used for anything else that's not Standard Series (eg. Deluxe, Classic, Blacktop, Factory Special Run, etc...).
Finally, there's the 70's style logo for MIM Classic 70's guitars.

Is it normal for them to change it year after year? In my opinion, no, if you're asking within a series. They hardly change. The standard series took nearly 2 decades to change logo styles. But like I said, there are different series with different logos. Just do yourself some research, and you should be able to spot a fake fairly easily.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I've gathered after owning a bunch and researching these guitars.

edit: i'm talking only about logos. Subtle changes in hardware and stuff is continually happening, and to answer the OP's question from a hardware point of view, then yes, it's normal for changes from each model year.

• Members

Also, you'd be surprised at how seemingly little changes can save a company a ton of money. For instance, say the silver ink results in an increased cost per instrument of .10 versus a black and gold design. Multiple that by the number of guitars manufactured over a 5 year period. I think the same regarding thin skin finishes. They may indeed sound better, but from a cost perspective less spray per guitar multiplied by the number of guitars manufactured over a 5 eyar period equals substantial savings. that saving goes up even more if they figured out a new chemical compound or production method requiring less labor for final finishing...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DaleH View Post
Many models of MIM strats. Differing nut widths, string spacing, neck shapes, routs, wood types, fret board radius.
string trees. tuners, pickups, you name it.

Saying MIM strats means little unless you say the model and year.
I'm not a fan of wide necks , although I assume tone takes a bit of a hit on the smaller necks. What years did Fender use smaller necks on MIM and MIA's?

Archived