Still Amazed By The Mustang...

steve_man

• Members

Since I moved last month, I did not get to play much. So, got everything unpacked this week, and finally got to sit down and do some real practice. I love my M13, my AC15, and my Hot Rod...but my Mustang II is such a sweet amp. I even plugged my acoustic into it, and it sounded great! Nice smooth distortions, great cleans, and love the effects. All in a light, portable package...what's not to love?

I'm guessing the Mustang honeymoon may be over for some (I've seen a few in the spam thread), but still loving mine. thumb.gif

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am interested in getting one. There is no way I'll be able to get high gain sounds out of a low wattage tube amp at an acceptable volume so I feel a really good modeling amp is my best bet.

Des it do high gain stuff well?

I already know I like Fender's solid state cleans.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by billybilly View Post
I hope they are, I find the valvetronix tinny and boxy sounding.
This guy dose a short demo of the Mustang II. He is not showing the effects, stomp boxs and stuff you can do with the fuze.

• Members

I like the clean sounds but the higher gains are just kinda "meh". I'm hoping at some point they do a new version with more/better models for the high gain stuff, and maybe wider tone controls on some of the other amps.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by CoqBelliqueux

View Post

As good as a Valvetronix?

They were king of the hill for a while in the affordable modeling wars, but the Mustangs sound better and are infinitely more tweakable.

• Members

I'm still a bit underwhelmed by mine TBH, and its 'boxy' sound, but it works really well as a twin amp for stereo effects. I think this is because the Fender valve amp I have has better cleaner sounds - to my ears anyway. The proof of how good something is, is how often you use it and the novelty wore off really quickly.

The high gain stuff is actually pretty good (I think these are an old plexi, JCM 800, JCM 900/2000??), as are the number of options for effects and tweaking them through the fuse interface. To many options though? Call me old-fashioned. Saying that - for 150 quid it is a very versatile amp.

It's just a fun inexpensive amp that comes as close to emulating Fender tones as anything out there. I have used mine at church with great results. It's powerful enough to be heard cleanly in a church that easily holds 400+ people and is approx two stories tall. (we have a choir loft in the back) And the tones are heard clearly throughout. I've never maxxed out the volume either and I haven't yet mic'd it to the PA.

Just last night I went online and DL'd some settings that with minimal tweaking sounded great. This is my current tones line-up and you can find most of them at Fender Fuse.

mustangtones.jpg

• Members

I like the clean sounds but the higher gains are just kinda "meh". I'm hoping at some point they do a new version with more/better models for the high gain stuff, and maybe wider tone controls on some of the other amps.

They're worse than meh. The hi gain stuff is just plain awful.

On the edge break up and nice cleans are all it has to offer.

Archived