Best glue to use for a floyd rose trem stud/insert replacement

Task

• Members

Never done this repair before, but I need to replace the studs/sleeve insert on a FR equipped guitar.

I have

Super glue (Cyano arcrylate)
Yellow elmers woodworkers glue which I have read is the same as titebond
Gorilla Glue.

Will any these work well,or do you have a better suggestion?

• Members

Those bushings are designed to be pressed into wood, but some people add glue for whatever reason. If you aren't having trouble with it pulling out AND if the holes are actually sized properly with a snug fit then try it sans glue. If the holes are so big that the bushings are sloppy during insertion, don't rely on glue as a filler. I'd be thinking drill and plug in that case and start with fresh holes.

Before getting into ANY of that, I am curious what is wrong with the original bushings? Are they a different size than the new posts or have they become loose in some way? If they have gotten loose, then it seems highly likely that the wood needs to be addressed. The bushings shouldn't wear out.

• Members

The studs are on a 90's washburn mercury import and the allen wrench sockets on the studs are stripped and the sleeve and stud outside diameter is smaller than a regular FR so you can't just put in new FR studs. I have replaced the studs on other mercs with a wilkinson stud (same OD as the original), but uses a smaller allen wrench to adjust it, and so I decided to replace this one with regular floyd studs. I will need to drill the holes larger to accomodate

The originals are the ones that have the sleeves attached by a horizontal bar that is screwed into the guitar probably because some of them were made out of cheap wood or plywood. Another problem is that the trem rout landing for the sleeve/bar assembly is not deep enough with the additional thickness of the sleeve/bar and you bottom out the stud before the action is low enough. If the bar wasn't there, you could lower the trem for perfect action.

The import mercuries are good guitars with a little extra work.

This one is alder so it should be fine.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Task View Post
Thanks folks! I will hide the glues!

But can you hide "hide" glue?
facepalm.gif
You will need to glue the plug in place. Just about any hardware store will have dowel plugs. Drill to proper size, glue up the plug, install. I always use tape and my Japanese back saw to cut off the excess, but you can also insert the plug, mark with a pencil and cut it off prior to installation.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Task View Post
Yellow elmers woodworkers glue which I have read is the same as titebond

Titebond I -- maybe, but not same as Titebond II or Titebond III. Luthiers use Titebond II and III these days.

Gorilla Glue.
This shit should never get anywhere near a guitar that you care about. It's meant for emergency construction work, as in carpenters performing emergency work with wood where stuff needs to setup and cure quickly.

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Check

View Post

This shit should never get anywhere near a guitar that you care about. It's meant for emergency construction work, as in carpenters performing emergency work with wood where stuff needs to setup and cure quickly.

You know I can't honestly think of anywhere that Gorilla shit would be appropriate, its fucking horrible shit

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by i386 View Post
Once the dowels are in, how do you precisely find the center of the dowel to drill it out. This is critical right?
http://halen.com/evh/index.php?name=...695389&start=0

That's the very first link I got off Google with regards to how to drill for Floyd studs. Your question has been answered a million times on a thousand other forums. Google yo.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ratae Coritanorum

View Post

You know I can't honestly think of anywhere that Gorilla shit would be appropriate, its fucking horrible shit

I used to race RC cars, and I made foam racing tires for the pro-shop at our track. That involved bonding a small plastic wheel and a piece of black foam tubing. Gorilla glue was perfect because as it expanded, it filled in the cells of the foam closest to the wheel, which helped make for a firmer tire closer to the wheel, but softer further out. So yes, Gorilla glue does indeed have some excellent uses.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Jeff View Post
http://halen.com/evh/index.php?name=...695389&start=0

That's the very first link I got off Google with regards to how to drill for Floyd studs. Your question has been answered a million times on a thousand other forums. Google yo.
I thought it was relevant to the discussion since the OP might have to do this.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ratae Coritanorum View Post

Gorilla shit is most appropriate on the forest floor of cental Africa. wink.gif

As for Gorilla Glue shit, there are plenty of legitimate uses for fast drying / fast curing polyurethane glues like Gorilla Glue, just not guitars.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Gorilla shit is most appropriate on the forest floor of cental Africa. wink.gif

As for Gorilla Glue shit, there are plenty of legitimate uses for fast drying / fast curing polyurethane glues like Gorilla Glue, just not guitars.
It is not strong enough?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by omni View Post
What's wrong with gorilla wood glue? I have used it to glue things around the house.
I too have had great success with it. If all else fails, read the instructions? Maybe use the proper glue for the app?
Looks like some peeps are bringing a knife to a gun fight and complainin' when they get shot up.

Archived