Reliable amp tech in North Alabama?

Pine Apple Slim

• Members

Huntsville, Decatur, Shoals, or Birmingham? Nashville is doable but a little too far away. Atlanta is out of the question.

I know little to nothing about amp repair and I hate to just take it in to some random shop or Guitar Center and get ripped off.

I have 3 old amps that need a little work, in order of importance:

Silverface Bassman 50 head-microphonic tube, some static in knobs, may need more. Hasn't been used in over 10 yrs. I really want to dust this one off and get a good cab for it.

Peavey Artist 240 Combo-static in knobs, could poss need retubing. Havn't played it in a long time.

USA Crate Vintage Club 2110-hasn't been retubed since new in 1994. Still works fine but its prob not at its peak performance.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by wagdog View Post
no help on where to go - but you're definitely doing the right thing bringing 'em in.

ask the tech to check the filter caps when you do bring them in.
I've kinda been jonesing for a new amp, but with these old ones in the can, that seems crazy. All 3 are good amps and will do the job for any conceivable gig that I may ever get. I figure I could prob get all 3 amps in tip top shape for a lot less than a new $500-$1000 tube amp. They mostly just need a good cleaning, probably a tube or 3, and some filter caps as you say.

I quit using the Peavey back in the 90s when I got the VC. The Bassman I picked up 20+ yrs ago in a trade. Both have been sitting at my high school buddies house for 20yrs getting very light to no duty. The problems are just what he's told me. He still plays thru the Peavey occasionally, and all he's ever used the Bassman for is to run his old walkman thru in the bedroom.(Its hooked up to an old Standell 15" cab he found at a flea market years ago). I can get either one back any time I want.
The little VC has been my amp for practice and gigs since I bought it. Its time to get it gone over as well.

Archived