Can you help me decide on a super-cheap hot bridge humbucker?

danswon

• Members

It'll be going in an Epi G400, to a 500k volume, no tone, gauge 9s, standard tuning. I'm throwing out the neck pickup and all other controls. I love the fret access on SGs so I'ved decided to turn this guitar into a shredder. Will be playing 80s style hard rock and metal.
I've narrowed it down to these 2. As you can see I'm going for cheap as possible...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/an-Entwist...item4cf8015eb7
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warman-Jur...item2a21714b8f

Any info on these or similar suggestions would be appreciated

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner

View Post

Try to pick up a used Gibson 500T cheap - great pickups, really hot, but still toneful. People often take them out because they're a bit too much.

Yeah forgot about the Gibby 500T. Awesome pickup. It's what's in my Explorer.

• Members

I'd get a used Duncan/Dimarzio/Gibson if one was going super cheap but I feel their resale value is quite high. I really want to go SUPER cheap.

GFS shipping to the UK is a bit high

Has anyone actually use those Entwistle or Warman pickups? Artec is also a consideration (they are probably Artecs anyway)

• Members

I have a GFS Crunchy PAT in one of the full custom guitars I built, and it has no trouble hanging with the Duncan JB-7+ that's in my seven string custom. It depends on the guitar though, a friend of mine put a Crunchy PAT in his baritone made of some harder woods and it sounded like dog crap.

But in your situation where shipping from the US overseas is expensive I'd agree with the other fellows in this thread: look for a used Duncan Distortion or JB, they won't let you down. thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by danswon View Post
I'd get a used Duncan/Dimarzio/Gibson if one was going super cheap but I feel their resale value is quite high. I really want to go SUPER cheap.
Don't think like that. Find what you want, and get the cheapest price you can on it. Shopping by price alone can be a disaster. Every buy the $1 package of toilet paper?

As for 80's metal/rock, the two most prominent pickups at the time were the Duncan Distortion, and the JB. Between those two, you're covering a whole lot of the 80's shred scene. Almost all of it, really... Or at least all my favorites.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mind Riot

View Post

I have a GFS Crunchy PAT in one of the full custom guitars I built, and it has no trouble hanging with the Duncan JB-7+ that's in my seven string custom.

GFS is another good option. The CRUNCHY Pat is a dead ringer for a Duncan Super Distortion. The FAT Pat is a dead ringer for the Duncan JB. I don't really like the ceramic pickups, so I avoid the SD and the Crunchy Pat, but the JB and Fat Pat (high output alnico) are two of my favorite pickups. I've got two JB equipped guitars (one sans tone like you're looking to do) and at least 4 guitars with the Fat Pats in them.

• Members

Has anyone actually use those Entwistle or Warman pickups? Artec is also a consideration (they are probably Artecs anyway)
I've tried some Warman P90s and they were pretty good for the price, and Artec is always pretty good. GFS pickups and Dragonfire pickups I saw were both Artec anyway.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool View Post
GFS pickups and Dragonfire pickups I saw were both Artec anyway.
For the last time (doubtful), GFS are built by artec. Dragonfire are built by Artec. Artec are built by artec. This does not mean they're the same. My two favorite candy bars are also built by the same factory. My favorite and least favorite guitar strings are built in the same factory. My Mitsubishi and my mother's Chrysler were built in the same factory. In all cases, it doesn't make the products the same quality, or even make the products similar.

But it's neat trivia, knowing what factory builds a guitar or pickup. Just tired of seeing "they're built by artec, they're the same thing".

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by PrawnHeed View Post
Does the factory (or factories) do something different other than put them in different boxes?

Sure they make different models by having more or less windings, but what else?
Without starting the whole argument back up again, GFS say their pickups are ordered to custom specs. And really, there's no reason to disbelieve him.

The company I used to work for made pizza. The sauce for our pizza was made in a factory. The sauce for one of our biggest competitors was also made in that factory. The two sauces were made from each companies respective recipe and ingredients. So while it was two pizza sauces made in the same factory, nearly every ingredient right down to the tomatoes was different.

The reality is, EVEN IF THE GFS PICKUPS were simply re-branded from the artec line, there's a zillion different models available from both companies. How do you know which one to pick to get a similar sound/tone/output?

Again - it's neat trivia, but does nothing to help someone pick out pickups.

• Members

I didn't say or suggest they were the same, but I've taken apart both GFS and Dragonfire pickups and the quality of construction were both similar (and pretty good, actually) and physically they do look identical and have the Artec logo on the plate. Of course, they didn't sound the same, they were wound to different specs, but I actually think of it as a good thing that they're made by a relatively decent OEM like Artec, which does mean (to me at least) that they're of acceptable build quality. At least when someone says they're an Artec made pickup, you can expect that, for instance, it works and will use decent quality parts. Then again, though, it's 2012, and very few aftermarket pickups actually suck.

I've only taken apart one American pickup (Seymour Duncan Custom 7-string version), to attach a longer lead, and SD does have a heavier metal plate, and the wires are more flexible (probably more expensive) and there are two kinds of cloth wrapping tape vs. the kind of cheapish electrical tape on the Artec pickups, but the differences were largely cosmetic, IMO. The build quality was not THAT different.

By sound, especially with gain, you'd have trouble figuring out which is the SD Custom and which is the Dragonfire Screamers.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post
Without starting the whole argument back up again, GFS say their pickups are ordered to custom specs. And really, there's no reason to disbelieve him.

The company I used to work for made pizza. The sauce for our pizza was made in a factory. The sauce for one of our biggest competitors was also made in that factory. The two sauces were made from each companies respective recipe and ingredients. So while it was two pizza sauces made in the same factory, nearly every ingredient right down to the tomatoes was different.

The reality is, EVEN IF THE GFS PICKUPS were simply re-branded from the artec line, there's a zillion different models available from both companies. How do you know which one to pick to get a similar sound/tone/output?

Again - it's neat trivia, but does nothing to help someone pick out pickups.
Again, what do they do differently apart from number of windings?

• Members

Have a look for Wilkinson humbuckers on Ebay. I had a set that came in a switch guitar and they were super-hot (so hot it was hard to get clean tones without turning them down). Wilkis usually go really cheap.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by PrawnHeed View Post
Again, what do they do differently apart from number of windings?
How would I know? Kinda thought that was the point I'm making. The vendor orders the product - you'd have to ask him what's different. And most companies aren't really going to answer that question for you.

Maybe I'm not seeing your point? What's different between a Hershey and a Dove bar, besides the chocolate? Oh wait, that small change makes a pretty big difference, doesn't it...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post
How would I know? Kinda thought that was the point I'm making. The vendor orders the product - you'd have to ask him what's different. And most companies aren't really going to answer that question for you.

Maybe I'm not seeing your point? What's different between a Hershey and a Dove bar, besides the chocolate? Oh wait, that small change makes a pretty big difference, doesn't it...
No point other than you are saying that GFS, Dragonfire and Artec pickups are different and I want to know how they differ.

And where I come from a Dove bar is a bar of soap. Quite different from chocolate. wink.gif

Archived