best guitar for "jazz" vs what people actually prefer to use (strat!)

formosa

• Members

I have an archtop hollow body jazz box, like every serious jazz guitarist should, and I'll probably never get rid of it. However, I'm finding it's sometimes not good in certain situations. Perhaps another guitar would be nice to have (of course!).

So my old guitar teacher who swore on archtops and would never play anything else, is playing strats at gigs! A strat? I know! Funny, because I just watched Jeff Beck's Live at Ronnie Scott's bluray DVD - best filmed show I've ever seen.

Then I started thinking about Scott Henderson, another one of my favorites. Strat too! Jimmy Herring? Strat! But it's really a Partscaster.

So how about it? Is a strat really the best guitar for jazz and jazz fusion? I'm looking to spend no more than $3,000 - but I think an American Deluxe would be just fine.

1) American Deluxe Strat - What color? Keep the pickups the same?
2) PRS Custom 24 - I do have a technical metal side to me and would love to support the local Marylanders! But will it be as flexible as a stat or even more? Probably double the price of a strat
3) Ibanez Prestige MIJ? I hate floating tremolos and bridges and all the stuff, but I love their thin fast necks.

What do you think? confused.gif

• Members

Yeah I think it's funny that John McLaughlin cut all the Miles Davis stuff on a short-scale Mustang, which is the last guitar you think of when you think of jazz. It's all about the player. Play what you like. There are a lot of knobs and electronics that go into creating tone that you can't really say one guitar is for whatever genre.

• Members

Short scale makes a lot of sense for jazz as it makes some of the more interesting voicings easier to finger.

Some jazzers prefer a wider nut than Strats offer because it allows for cleaner notes especially when moving quickly. That said, people like Mike Stern [Yamaha T-style] and John McLaughlin [Godin S-style] are monster players on strat-style necks, so it really does depend on the player and what you prefer.

• Members

I play on a tele and a les paul. I'd love a 335, but I haven't found one that I can afford/enjoy yet to make me get it over the wonderful guitars I already own. Should have jumped on a Guild Starfire when I tried it. Loved the guitar, but didn't quite have the $$ at the time.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool

View Post

Yeah I think it's funny that John McLaughlin cut all the Miles Davis stuff on a short-scale Mustang, which is the last guitar you think of when you think of jazz. It's all about the player. Play what you like. There are a lot of knobs and electronics that go into creating tone that you can't really say one guitar is for whatever genre.

Link? confused.gif I coulda sworn he used a Gibson double neck and an LP custom on at least some of it. I own Bitches Brew and theres a picture of him holding a doubleneck Gibby in the liner notes.

• Members

yeah I've never even seen him using a Mustang nevermind hearing he recorded Bitches Brew with one. I also remember the double neck Gibson and his LPC.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGrima View Post
Link? confused.gif I coulda sworn he used a Gibson double neck and an LP custom on at least some of it. I own Bitches Brew and theres a picture of him holding a doubleneck Gibby in the liner notes.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DaveGrima View Post
http://alt-land.info/music/jazz/4293...-zen-2006.html

John Mc Laughlin' s Guitars over the years
John Mclaughlin, Extrapolation.
Gibson L4 with Charlie Christian pickup.

Tony Williams Lifetime, Emergency.
Gibson Hummingbird with DeArmond pickup.

Miles Davis, In a Silent Way.
Gibson Hummingbird.

Miles Davis, Bitches Brew.
Fender Mustang.
"I was playing with Lifetime and Miles," remembers McLaughlin, "and both bands were getting louder
and louder and the Hummingbird became inappropriate due to feedback problems.
For the Lifetime recordings, I rented a black '58 Les Paul Custom

• Members

Some more info:

http://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guita...o-mustang.html

"I first saw McLaughlin perform at a jazz festival in New Brunswick, NJ. Musta been '68 or '69. Played in a trio with drummer Tony Williams and organist Larry Young. I guess it was the Tony Williams Lifetime. John was playing the psychedelic-painted Mustang. I later learned that at the time John had been in the States a very short time, a few weeks or so. It sounded good to me, tho at the time I knew almost nothing about jazz."

• Members

Bill Frisell uses a lot of different interesting guitars to get his sound. A personal favourite of mine was a MIM 69 thinline reissue he had refinished and changed the electronics in it.

I think he put Antiquity tele pickups in it, and used it on his 'Bill Frisell, Ron Carter, Paul Motian' album, which is probably my favourite work of his.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIDOmz7K93o

I've seen a few Jazz dudes play Strats, but they're never really going for Jazz type sounds. I certainly prefer my 335 to my Strat when I play Jazz, though I will often play Jazz influenced lines on my strat in other situations.....

• Members

I personally think the Tele neck pickup sounds absolutely fantastic for jazz. In some ways I like it more than my 335 neck pickup. But for the fusion type lead tones I really prefer a humbucker, and the 335 shines in that area.

• Members

If you don't need the trem and you wanna try a strat, check out a MIM Robert Cray...the vintage pickups they use in the Cray model seem like they'd be sweet for jazz. And with a $3k budget, you'd have plenty left over to get another guitar or two or three...

Archived