Music Is In 4/4 Time & The Other Guitar Player Finger Picks It In 3/4 Time

Bbreaker

• Members

So I'm reading the chart and I hit my intro chord on the 4/4 to wake this guy up.............he doesn't snap to the correct time and continues to do what he wants. We're playing live, so I go with him and the singer is having a bit of a struggle with the lyric time.
After, I approach him and renew the time signature issue. He tells me that this is the way it's done. Don't read the chart....just follow.freak.gif

This is the church group and the deacon leading us in this music doesn't have a clue. He doesn't want to do it correct. It's his way.
BTW, he tells me that I threw him off time.

This has happened before with other tunes.
I'm a stickler for doing things right.
I think I'm gonna bail.

• Members

If the band leader wants to do an arrangement in 3:4 and it's been rehearsed and works, then that's cool. If he's suddenly springing a change like that on everyone (especially the rhythm section and singer!) without prior warning, that's pretty crappy.

He tells me that this is the way it's done. Don't read the chart....just follow
That's not necessarily a bad thing if the band is on their toes and informed ahead of time what it's going to be. A guitarist can follow along and change things up on the fly pretty easily, but everyone has to be on board and play together regardless what the chart says.

• Members

Might be annoying. I don't know though...it's supposed to be music, which is supposed to be about communication, not strictly following notes on a page. I played in a country band last year in which the leader would do different arrangements or keys based on his mood. It did get annoying once in awhile, but it was mostly fun, and I learned a lot about playing with other people by doing it.

• Members

The guy doesn't want to improve.
We have a song that's in 6/8 time and he doesn't want me to do the intro (yes, I do it as written)...............he wants to start it, which is iffy.
He tells me, "I throw him off"eek.gif

Last week, he paid me a good compliment......he said, that "you're a musician".

As far as rehearsals go, I get an e mail of the songs the night before and we rehash them the next morning 60 to 45 minutes before the mass........

He tells me that when I'm the only guitarist, "you can play music as written.......the singer can adapt".facepalm.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by nicholai View Post
I'd simply say the Lord liketh the way you play, he told you so and if you have to stop, the lord thinketh maybe another church could benefit from your innate god given skills.

=P
good to seeya BB.

Diplomatic & respectful.wave.gif

• Members

I don't play worship music (and probably never will), but I think it stands with most bands that a certain amount of improvisation is going to be acceptable (or not, depending on the band leader), but playing in a different time signature when it's not rehearsed that way? Train wreck. If you feel a connection to the group or the congregation, maybe try to work it out or go over his head if you have to. Otherwise, just move on.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner

View Post

Tricky. I always try not to play what's written if i can help it, but that's a conscious choice. However if you've got a band with some that must follow the music ('must' for any reason not related to ability) then following too is the only option unless you're willing to rescore it.

I agree-that approach might be fine in some settings, but honestly if you are trying to play songs that people know a certain way and want to sing along with, and you have very limited rehearsal time, you really do need to more or less follow the music of you dont want to sound like crap -

• Members

You ever watch a band and you just know that the bassist is playing the wrong note?

And then you go watch the same band a few weeks later and the same wrong note is being played?

(and it's not a case of not understanding the dissonance or whatever, he's playing G natural instead of G sharp and everybody else is in E major)

Annoying. That was yesterday for me.

You should just start playing Manic Depression over him which is in 3/4 time which is a Waltz by the way lol.

3/4 doesn't make it a waltz!

• Members

You ever watch a band and you just know that the bassist is playing the wrong note?

And then you go watch the same band a few weeks later and the same wrong note is being played?

(and it's not a case of not understanding the dissonance or whatever, he's playing G natural instead of G sharp and everybody else is in E major)

Annoying. That was yesterday for me.

3/4 doesn't make it a waltz!

I feel your pain- my brother used to play the wrong notes when our band was together and then give us some bull{censored} about playing behind the changes- mostly sounded like the bass player hadn't bothered to learn the songs.

Archived