NGD! Gibson on the way. . .

DaveGrima

• Members

This might be a re-post but Zzounds is blowing out these Les Paul Junior Specials for $549. http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBLSH

I just ordered one of the humbucker versions in TobaccoBurst using the Pay as You Play option which is so awesome. Just make the first payment and they ship you the guitar. eek.gif I would not be able to afford it otherwise. smile.gif

94066_l.jpg
Totally_jammin_out.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGrima

View Post

Thanks. This is not my first Gibson but it is my first Gibson with a full size headstock. My Melody Maker is a little monster. Lower end Gibsons rock hard. All killer, no filler.

+1...I've had more expensive Gibsons, but my melody maker is probably my favorite guitar.

• Members

Ill be sure to give a full report when I get the actual guitar. Im really curious to see how Ill like this baked maple stuff.

Also it said in the description at Gibson that its a Plek-cut nut. What does that mean exactly? I know the whole thing can't be PLeked at this price point. What does it mean when just the nut is Plek cut?

• Members

Nice,I wanted one of those but the 70's tribute was on sale first so I jumped,I also agree about the MM's,sweet guitars. I actually happen to pick the one back up today from my bud I sold it to because he got fired and needed some loot. Didn't need another guitar but hey a cheap Gibson NGD for me tongue.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DaveGrima View Post
Ill be sure to give a full report when I get the actual guitar. Im really curious to see how Ill like this baked maple stuff.

Also it said in the description at Gibson that its a Plek-cut nut. What does that mean exactly? I know the whole thing can't be PLeked at this price point. What does it mean when just the nut is Plek cut?
I saw that too but I'm pretty sure the page you were looking at was referring to the higher end $1000 LP that has better components and different wood on the fingerboards.

That said, I got one of these too, and lucked out it came from the factory pretty damn well setup. The pups sound great, that slab of mahogany resonates beautifully, and maple fingerboard feels a little weird but once the newness wears off and it ages im sure it'll feel better. I was thinking on the way to work today about how I cant wait to see what this guitar looks like after 5-10 years of playing, with the satin finish worn in and the wood curing some more..

You may want to upgrade the switch, jack, and pots though as they do not inspire confidence. I'm going to upgrade everything except the pups eventually ( tuners, strap locks, pots , jack , switch ) , and for less than the price of a studio she'll be a keeper i'm sure.

• Members

Congrats to you on finding this deal and congrats to me for opening this thread to say "congrats to you", because it just saved me $58! Yippee! thumb.gif

I bought mine, same color and all, i.e. gloss tobacco burst, back on 11/12 for $607, so I just now called and got a price match refund. I can't remember now, but I know I used a price match back then to even get it down to $607 because they were selling at Zz for $649-ish at that time. This is at least their second price reduction on this model.

Mine turned out to be a real looker, very acceptable grain matching. I'm still evaluating the guitar finding some things I like and maybe some other things I'm not as sure about. I have found so far with the very limited amount of time I've had to play it that I particularly like the tone of the bridge with some of the neck p'up rolled in. That's just been my favorite setting so far. The guitar does have a bit of heft to it, but that's really to be expected with LP Specials. I find that even to be true with a couple Custom Shop LP Specials I own (that have P-90s). And I do actually like baked maple boards, so that's not a problem. But when I saw these guitars, it struck me that "I don't have a HB LP Special, doh! confused.gif, so then my OCD GAS got the best of me and now I do. But I did actually already have an ESP LTD EC-400 that's dang near the same thing. rolleyes.gif But now that ESP is nervous, as it should be wink.gif

I'd post a pic of mine for you so you could see what it looks like in the flesh, but I haven't even gotten a chance to do so yet. frown.gif

Well again, congrats to you, and happy refund to my credit card day for me! biggrin.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by IRG View Post
How's the finish differ between the satin yellow and the gloss yellow, the latter just being smoother? Or is there a bigger difference in finishes?
Due to some Santa related price matching shenanigans I ended up with one of each. Gloss on the left, satin on the right...

LPJRSP1.JPG

LPJRSP2JPG

LPJRSP3.JPG

LPJRSP4.JPG

Archived