Boost pedal recommendations

cokekolev

• Members

Hi, I need something to boost the overdrive channel om my marshall jcm900 and blackstar amp. I won't be using it to increase the volume, but to increase the gain. A coloration of the sound is ok. It has to have a huge volume increase. So far I've considered the ibanez ts-7, digitech bad monkey and boss sd-1. Any recommendations?

• Members

So an overdrive pedal? A boost pedal boosts the volume going into your amp, which in the case of a tube amp, will often add distortion by pushing the amp harder.

It sounds like you want to add distortion without volume. Fulltone OCD? A Tubescreamer is an option. It's certainly been proven to work by many.

• Members

I just picked one of these up and they're phenomenal. Boutique maker from the UK, but they're under $200. It has a mid boost/scoop switch on it which lets you decide where you want to sit in the mix. Boost the mids and your tone will stick right out in the mix. The pedal on its own does have some gain. It's a really nice low OD pedal as well as a boost.

1240002-02.3.jpg

• Members

Have a look at a Fulltone Catalyst pedal. Will definitely give you a nice, fairly uncolored clean boost. But is also flexible enough to pull off some nice overdrive or even fuzz. I picked one up on the cheap on a whim, but have found myself using it as a boost ever since.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ej View Post
JCM900 has dual MV that are footswitchable. You shouldn't need a boost for extra volume idn_smilie.gif
I believe he wants it for that slight thickening and extra dimension you can get using a boost continuously in front of an amp. Lots of players use the OCD for this purpose. I really want to try this one.
http://www.amazon.com/MOOER-Electric...ds=mooer+boost

• Members

You also want s huge volume increase? A TS 9 won't do that. Try running a micro amp in the effects loop or an EQ. A pedal in front ain't gonna give you a huge volume increase if your gain is already maxed. Your question is a little confusing. If you want to add gain a maxon OD is nice in front of the amp.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead View Post
unless you don't want that major mid boost.
... Oh, you want it biggrin.gif

I meant more along the lines of the fact that it's very versatile pedal in that it's never a bad thing to have one around.

Standard practice, for metal at least, is running it with volume dimed, no gain to tighten up the low end, so it's got plenty of applications. It sounds like it'd fit the OP bill, but the mids are worth noting.

• Members

This, to boost the gain.

(A Bad Monkey is a nice pedal on the cheap)

As others have mentioned, you will not get a volume boost from any pedal ran into the front of your amp.
You will need to add an EQ pedal or similar into the loop, and hit the pedal when you take a solo (adjust master level on EQ pedal until you get your desired volume increase)

• Members

The Way Huge Green Rhino has enough output to fry your amp. It also can do overdrive, and it has some tone-shaping knobs.

wayhuge-dunlop_greenrhino-preview_001.jp

I saw the band The Parlor Mob once, and both their guitarists used MXR Micro Amps to do what you're asking.

41JsSJFrj-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

*edit - I originally posted the Swollen Pickle, which is a fuzz pedal. My mistake!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cokekolev

View Post

I don't need a "volume boost", I'm just looking for a pedal with huge volume increase to push the front end of the amp as hard as possible smile.gif

Oh okay! My JCM900 sounded amazing with a TS808 in front.

• Members

View Post

ok, but does the bad monkey have a big volume increase? How many db?

If that's the question, the Angry Troll (as someone mentioned earlier) is the likely answer. I don't recall the exact number, but it's a LOT.

• Members

View Post

ok, but does the bad monkey have a big volume increase? How many db?

Any of the pedals suggested should provide more than enough of a boost for a JCM900. Too much and you might as well just use a fuzz pedal.

Archived