Fender: Vintage Noiseless or Hot Noiseless?

DammitJanet

• Members

I'm putting a set in my MIM strat, and I want that classic strat tone, but I'm really looking for something like David Gilmour (Another Brick In the Wall solo) tone, Prince (All Along the Watchtower @ Super Bowl), SRV, Hendrix, all that sort of thing. I'll be running the guitar through a Fender Hot Rod DeVille mostly, but I'll probably be using a BOSS ME-50 here and there as well.

So which pickups would suit me better? The Vintage or Hot Noiseless?

Thanks!

• Members

Out of curosity, is your Hot Rod DeVille the 4x10 or 2x12 model?

I'd suggest waiting on the pickup swap until you got the effects chain you want in place. The Boss ME-50 wouldn't be the direction I'd recommend for you though. I'd be more inclined to recommend a tube based overdrive pedal where you could essentially replace it as your pre-amp and use the Hot Rod for the power amp stage.

If you want the absolute best truly classic Strat sound I'd say look here, Lindy Fralin Strat Pickups. My second choice would be the GFS Boston Blues or Grey Bottoms.

• Members

i'm actually looking at a set of the Hot Noiseless to replace my Texas Specials. the specials are good, but not the sound i'm after. can anyone describe or give me names of who plays with the hot noiseless? other than J Beck. can the hot noiseless get that Comfortably Numb solo tone?

thanks,

jon

• Members

can the hot noiseless get that Comfortably Numb solo tone?

The best I've heard anyone get close to that tone was with stock MIM pickups, a stock TS-9 reissue, a Fender Deluxe Reverb, and an Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man. Go figure. :confused:

The other thing that you have to remember about Pink Floyd's studio sound is they spent a lot of time tweaking it in post production. You won't ever get their studio sound 100% but Gilmore's live sound is quite amazing too.

• Members

I have the Vintage Noisless on my Deluxe Player's (MIM) Strat. At first I was unimpressed with them because they were too weak. I have come to like them (gotten used to them), but have no experience with the Hot Noisless. I also wonderr if the SCN's are any good?

• Members

i'm actually looking at a set of the Hot Noiseless to replace my Texas Specials. the specials are good, but not the sound i'm after. can anyone describe or give me names of who plays with the hot noiseless? other than J Beck. can the hot noiseless get that Comfortably Numb solo tone?

thanks,

jon

I'm clip crazy today

My Strat with the Hot noiseless. Pink Floyd Cover.

• Members

You won't ever get their studio sound 100% but

Well, that's kind of the tone I'm looking. Definitely that for the dirty stuff. But as for the clean I'm really hooked on the solo from Another Brick in the Wall. That's the tone I'm really after. So would the Grey Bottoms be for me?

• Members

Vintage noiseless weak?:confused:

I know they're a little lower output than most fender pups but i wouldn't call them weak (play an eric johnson strat:thu: ). You're just playing them throught the wrong amp man. i wish you can come over my house and hear my strat with vintage noiseless pickups into my carvin legacy. i'll show you weak:evil: . they're no texas specials though.

they're my favorite strat pickups i think.

• Members

Vintage noiseless weak?
:confused:
I know they're a little lower output than most fender pups but i wouldn't call them weak (play an eric johnson strat:thu: ). You're just playing them throught the wrong amp man. i wish you can come over my house and hear my strat with vintage noiseless pickups into my carvin legacy. i'll show you weak:evil: . they're no texas specials though.

they're my favorite strat pickups i think.

Na. It's not the amp. I have great amps. I just don't like them all that much compared to other Fender options. I know what they sound like. I have installed them for a few clients. They don't sound bad to me, just not what I expect out of a Strat.

it's all just opinions.

• Members

this clip is fantastic...thanks alot.

do you have anything a little more dirtier with these as well.

I wish I did, but that was the only song I have recorded with these pickups. I used my Tele for most of the rest of that session.

• Members

it's cool. i liked what i heard alot, thanks for posting that clip, and great song too.

Thanks. We went in a did a cover CD last year because we were bored and needed to spend money on something I guess. We did that, a King Crimson song, an Iron Maiden song and an original too

• Members

It would be really nice if I could get that Comfortably Numb tone posted earlier, as well as

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=631313

this is a take of the Comfortably Numb solo(at least the jist of it) I did with my Texas Specials.

just to give you an in the ball park idea of what those would sound like. i'm looking for a little more bite though. they still sound good though. some other stuff recorded with them is there too.

• Members

The Vintage Noiseless are the crappiest pickups Fender offers IMO. So weak.

I really like the Hot noiseless though. They sound closer to the real deal and have that bite.

Clapton had the Vintage Noiseless in his signature strat a few years back, i'm not sure if they are anymore, but the Crossroads Guitar Festival guitar he played had them. Crappy pickups in a guitar like that. crazy man. he also had some cranked amps though, so that boosted their output probably. :confused:

it amazes me though, that the 2 noiseless that Fender puts out completely differ from each other.

Archived