Your thoughts on Post Wh@re threads?

Floyd Rosenbomb

• Members

A post whore thread is pretty much a meaningless thread that is created to allow a small clique of users a vehicle to inflate their post counts.  It runs page after page of irrelevant banter that serves the broader community no purpose, but it does serve to bolster this small group's post counts, which I assume is suppose to bolster ones perceived authority on a message board.

1st world problem, I know.

Not a big deal, right?  When a forum provides the option for users to rate these threads, they usually fall in the 1 to 2 star category, and I think most people see it for what it is.

My only gripe comes in when said post whores main contribution to the forum is whore posting negative comments about the forum, demonizing this forum's members with a broad brush on other forums, and encouraging members to jump this ship to join said other forum (where they are post whores as well). 

My point is this, I'm all for shutting down post whore threads, epessally when they become hostile to the fourm that supports them.

Feel free to kudo if you agree, and share your take on the matter.

m

• Members

The whore posts are easy enough to ignore, since there isn't anything worthwhile in them anyway.

I've seen the other thing you mention as well, where someone here will cry over the lost sense of community but trash HC totally on other forums. Seen them tell people to stay away from this forum as well.

Don't understand. If they don't like this forum, why do they come here and why do they tell others to stay away? Are they hoping this forum will die?

Thing is, some of those posters are super popular with huge post counts so calling them out wont do much good.

• Members
  1. I don't post elsewhere, so I have no idea what they are saying... and hence don't care.
  2. The "post whore" threads I think you referring to are the "OMG..." thread and the "...gearhead..." thread.  IMO those are just a sub group of regular forumites who "shoot the {censored}" about whatever though usually touching on guitars which is a commonality each of us share.
  3. If you somebody is being two-faced, call them out publicly on it.  Why mince words?  Might be good to just get it in the open and be done with it.  If people in your OMG thread or gearhead thread have been bitching about this place, so be it.  If they are bad mouthing those of us who are more foregiving, {censored} 'em.  I don't force anyone to like what I like a won't bitch if they like what they like.

If somebody has a problem with me, that's their problem. *paradoxical philosphism*

• Members

WannaStrat wrote:

The whore posts are easy enough to ignore, since there isn't anything worthwhile in them anyway.

I've seen the other thing you mention as well, where someone here will cry over the lost sense of community but trash HC totally on other forums. Seen them tell people to stay away from this forum as well.

Don't understand. If they don't like this forum, why do they come here and why do they tell others to stay away? Are they hoping this forum will die?

Thing is, some of those posters are super popular with huge post counts so calling them out wont do much good.

+1 thumb.gif

Archived