RANT:Why John Mayer is a total Douchenozzle. .

DaveGrima

• Members

Its not enough that hes famous, he has to have a famous guitar too. He wants a guitar associated with him the way Claptons "Blackie" was, or Page's #1 LP, or SRV's #1 Strat, or B.B. King's Lucille, etc. He doesn't want to earn it the old fashioned way though. He doesnt want to get a guitar and play it all the time because he likes the sound or the way it plays, then have everyone start associating that guitar with him and let it become famous naturally. Then when hes old have a cool story to tell about how he got the guitar, and all the changes its gone through over the years. He wants to justmake it famous instantly.

So he goes out and and gets this "Black One" made at the Fender Custom shop. He says its because he wants a good sounding guitar he can call his #1. Then he has em strip most of the paint off the body and neck, not because he wants it to look old and cool like its been played hard for 30 years, its so the wood can "beathe" better. Ya ok.

Rory Gallagher, Page, SRV, Joe Strummer, Andy Summers, etc, etc, got their guitars worn out by playing the {censored} out of them for years. And they became famous by playing them all the time because they were great guitars that they loved. They didnt go get em made at Fender then anounce how famous their guitars are. This whole thing is just so fake and contrived. . Its so obvious to me what hes doing. What is it about this guy? Does he annoy anyone else as much as he does me? /rant. Here he is talking about how famous his guitar is. Skip to 3:00 :lol:

[YOUTUBE]ElCa5xaay5Y[/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

yeah, I watched part of that yesterday when someone was talking about the JM sig strat. i wondered what was unique about it. I turned it off when he said that when the custom shop delivered the guitar it sounded like {censored}, so he put it in the freezer overnight and it sounded great. That dude must smoke alot of weed.

• Members

Im calm. And for the record I think hes a fantastic player, I just cant stand his personality and I was wondering if anyone else saw this the same way. Ive just never heard another player anounce his guitar as being "the famous John Mayer guitar" before its really old or famous like that.

• Members

Who gives a {censored}? How many people on HC have relic'ed guitars and never take them out of their bedrooms? At least Mayer does something with his. (Although I can't forgive him for the crappy way he plays "Panama.")

If they can give John 5 a signature Tele, they can give John Mayer a signature Strat.

• Members

Say what you will about Mayer, but HC and TGP practically light up whenever he says or does something even slightly controversial. After watching some of his earlier more comedic vids, I'm pretty sure John Mayer is just a really good troll.

Also, relics are awesome and sound better than their vintage counterparts.

• Members
And for the record I think hes a fantastic player, I just cant stand his personality and I was wondering if anyone else saw this the same way.

I agree 100%. Mayer is indeed a douchenozzle, but his Strat tonez are as cool as any.

• Members

Who gives a {censored}? How many people on HC have relic'ed guitars and never take them out of their bedrooms? At least Mayer does something with his. (Although I can't forgive him for the crappy way he plays "Panama.")

If they can give John 5 a signature Tele, they can give John Mayer a signature Strat.

Its not about having a signature guitar. Thats fine. Its just the way he talks it up like its some 40 year old vintage guitar that hes been playing forever that has all this mojo. "People are just like, wow! thats it!" And theres nothing wrong with relics, but at least admit that you want the guitar to look old and well played. Hes like, "oh its just for the tone" Hes just so full of crap. Its obviously reliced. Its not like they just scraped alot of paint off, they made it look like it was worn off from playing. Hes says he just wanted a guitar to serve him as an artist, just a tool in other words. Thats bull{censored}. He wants everyone to know about this guitar. He wants to have his "Blackie". Guitars need to earn their fame. They cant be famous and special just because you say they are.

• Members

When I listen to his music, I feel like I'm hearing the very essence of the blues.

+1

If you read his biography, you can see that Mayer pulls a lot of the expression and feeling in his music from his troubled past. That's a deep wellspring of angst that makes his blues so much more authentic. I feel like everyone is influenced by Mayer now, even the old guard like Buddy Guy and Clapton. He's changed the genre forever.

• Members

yeah, I watched part of that yesterday when someone was talking about the JM sig strat. i wondered what was unique about it. I turned it off when he said that when the custom shop delivered the guitar it sounded like {censored}, so he put it in the freezer overnight and it sounded great. That dude must smoke alot of weed.

You do realize that in that part of the video he mentions it still sounding like {censored} until they discovered the ground wire not correctly soldered, right?

• Members

We live in a marketing world.

Fender is a marketing company.

John Mayer is a marketable product.

The fact that he is actually a good guitar player seems secondary in this marketing world and in this thread.

Ritchie Blackmore has been described as "difficult" but that does not stop people from listening to and enjoying his guitar playing. Why should Mayer be treated any different?

• Members

I think many people miss the sarcasm with him. He's a funny guy and I don't think he takes himself as seriously as many think he does. I think much of the stuff like sticking the guitar in the freezer and getting the finish stripped off is just him goofing around. Probably his way of trolling all of the internet bedroom playing haters.

• Members

I think many people miss the sarcasm with him. He's a funny guy and I don't think he takes himself as seriously as many think he does. I think much of the stuff like sticking the guitar in the freezer and getting the finish stripped off is just him goofing around. Probably his way of trolling all of the internet bedroom playing haters.

And he taught them many things by parables.