No announcement yet.

Home made Les Paul

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for Electrickery

First I needed to hog out the switch and control cavities. I should have done this a long time ago, at least before I started the finish. Oh, well. Using the Forstner bit at approximately the same angle as the top and carefully measuring the thickness so the pot shafts would all stick out the same amount

I prewired the switch and mounted it

Installed the pickups (no picture, sorry) and the pots (notice how I cleverly wrote on each pot what its function was - since everything is upside down and backwards it would be real easy to do something stupid)

and wired them all together following the schematic that came with the parts.

Incidently, I'm using the Parson Street humbuckers - they are half the cost of Gibson or some others and right now I wouldn't know the difference. As I get wiser I could always change them. I also just bought the basic wiring kit from StewMac - standard 500K pots, 0.02 mf caps, some shielded and unshielded wire. I did do the trick of reversing the switch and pickup wires which means that if both pups are selected turning a volume control down won't turn the whole thing off.

I also had one other brain fart at this time - I knew I needed to drill a hole for the wire to the "string ground" at either the bridge or tailpiece stud, but I had totally spaced it. I did it now (again, sorry, no picture) but realized that there is no way to connect to the stud so I just pushed the wire tight against in and super glued it in place. If I get string hum I'll have to pull the stud, fan the wire out and reset the stud so it makes better contact.

This doesn't look like a lot but it took most of the day last saturday. Next, a little set up

Beautiful guitar and a super, squeaky, clean wiring job. You are my hero Freeman!
    Information is not knowledge
    Knowledge is not wisdom
    Wisdom is not truth
    Truth is not beauty
    Beauty is not love
    Love is not music.
    Music Is The Best.

- Frank Zappa

Comment

• Beautiful guitar and a super, squeaky, clean wiring job. You are my hero Freeman!

I am by training an electrical engineer and a million or so year ago I used to build stereo and ham radio gear. I had seriously considered building a tube amp to go with this before I scored the old Gibson one.

Tomorrow I'll do the final setup and tweak the pups - its getting closer.....

Comment

• Freeman I have to say this looks cleaner and better built than my Les Paul from Gibson.
        Member of the Mazi Bee Militia
        Current Guitar Gear - 03 Gibson Les Paul Classic, 03 Highway One Strat, 92 Gibson AJ, 2001 Martin 000-16GT
        Amps - '60 Ampeg Mercury M12, Marshall Class 5, '73 Vibro Champ, Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb
        FX - Fulltone OCD Version 2, Line 6 Pod HD400, EH Holy Grail Plus, Fulltone Fat Boost FB-2, Dunlop Wah

Comment

• So, you're going to sell this to me for the cost of your parts plus a couple of dollars for your time and skills, right?

I can't stop drooling over this guitar. The attention to detail is inspiring and it's just a damn beautiful instrument.
          Good transactions: warriorpoet, lowbrow, Puckman, BlackHatHunter, DracoAran, brianeharmonjr, natasmi, id-man, nbabmf, Splendor, angelhair0, d_dave_c, dcindc (x2), dogbone94, chiro972, coolwaterz, Radiohead, lol (x2), roadscholar, Hammer97e, teleman, torgeot, metalhead666666, zakadams, tincob, Doctor Morbius, HanSolo, danhauk, bennnintexas, Overwhelmed987, The Bear, 9-Pin-Phoenix, Dmerge, D34dBaWx, TomCray, Timmott, Tupelo Son, dogfish, ae3753, Gearhunter, virtuzoso, Meowy, RooSTER-b, mrbrown49

Comment

• Freeman I have to say this looks cleaner and better built than my Les Paul from Gibson.

of course it is! this is hand built by someone who put not only hard work, but also passion into his own instrument!

Bravo! been following this thread since the beginning. You better post clips of it singing when you're done!
            rockin' for life

Originally Posted by GAS Man

Thrash the establishment, strip it down, and let it rip.

Originally Posted by Deadbeat Son

There's no "just a" allowed here. There's no reason to denigrate a great guitar that does the trick for you just because it's less expensive than someone else's.

Good Trades with: boonestunes, smithshred

Nox P

Comment

• Very nice, as usual. Can't wait to see it all done!
              --------------------------------
              www.VerneAndru.com

Comment

• how have i missed this thread until now? great work. that's going to be a beautiful instrument when it's done.
                INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

My Guitars | ... but can he play? | Currently a Gold Trader +6

Use extreme caution when attempting to interact or transact with IndianScout.

Comment

• Maple truss rod cover w/a burst would be special.

Well, OK, lets give it a try

Does that look to busy? Should I just stay with the plain black plastic one?

Comment

• And while I'm asking opinions, should I put a pick guard on it (picture sabotaged by Photobucket again, it should be anticlockwise 90 degrees)

or not?

Comment

• And while I'm asking opinions, should I put a pick guard on it (picture sabotaged by Photobucket again)

or not?

i vote, no guard.
                      INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

My Guitars | ... but can he play? | Currently a Gold Trader +6

Use extreme caution when attempting to interact or transact with IndianScout.

Comment

• My vote would be:

no guard

rosewood (or similar dark matching wood/grain) truss rod cover (isn't the headstock veneer rosewood? or use whatever you used for the headstock). That one is too busy/jarring, and a cheap black plastic cover simply doesn't suit the guitar. A cover that matches the headstock would look very classy.

Comment

• I'd vote yes to guard (although it looks great without as well) and rosewood trusrod cover.

Comment

• Excellent progress Freeman! I always enjoy checking this thread.

As for your two questions, my votes are as followed:

Black plastic truss rod cover

Yes pickguard, but in a darker cream to match the pickup rings.
                            Since Dylan went electric, man things just ain't been the same; now DJs are making records, could you please just be ashamed? -- Two Cow Garage

Yes, I can actually play: Falstaff

Comment

• Excellent progress Freeman! I always enjoy checking this thread.

As for your two questions, my votes are as followed:

Black plastic truss rod cover

Yes pickguard, but in a darker cream to match the pickup rings.

Exactamente!
                              NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Comment

• rosewood truss rod cover, flamed maple pickguard a la Heritage.
                                Member of the Mazi Bee Militia
                                Current Guitar Gear - 03 Gibson Les Paul Classic, 03 Highway One Strat, 92 Gibson AJ, 2001 Martin 000-16GT
                                Amps - '60 Ampeg Mercury M12, Marshall Class 5, '73 Vibro Champ, Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb
                                FX - Fulltone OCD Version 2, Line 6 Pod HD400, EH Holy Grail Plus, Fulltone Fat Boost FB-2, Dunlop Wah

Comment

Working...
                                X