MIJ Fender "Squier Series" Stratocaster w/Floyd Rose

D.House

• Members

So I have a guy trying to sell me one of these for $250. It's a little beat up - a few dings, but not too bad (from pics).

I haven't played it yet, However, I have had a hell of a time looking up the specs on this. All I know is that it has a rosewood neck (i like), humbucking bridge pickup and a Floyd Rose II trem.

My question is, is this thing a Fender, or a Squier? And what is the body made of? And lastly, assuming it plays well, is it worth $250?

oh yeah, serial number starts with N0

• Members

It's a Fender and a damn good one. It was a lower cost version of the MIJ Hot Rod Reissue series. The only difference is the Squier series has a Floyd Rose II instead of the original Floyd, and does not have the sculpted neck heel. The FRII is identical to the Schaller Floyd. The humbucker is a Dimarzio PAF Pro.

I have one and it's my #1 guitar. It's one of the best Strats I've ever owned or played. The neck is awesome on these.

For $250 I'd jump on it quick.

• Members

It's a Fender. It's got an alder body. The "fotoflamed" version have a chemically etched basswood cap on the front and back. It's all wood thru and thru.

$250 is a good deal for one of those. You'll have a hard time finding a similar MIJ Fender strat with a Floyd for that price.

Here's two of mine:

FRStrat_BlackCherryBurst800.jpg

FRStrat_Tobaccoburst.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Mazi Bee

It's a Fender. It's got an alder body. The "fotoflamed" version have a chemically etched basswood cap on the front and back. It's all wood thru and thru.

$250 is a good deal for one of those. You'll have a hard time finding a similar MIJ Fender strat with a Floyd for that price.
[/img]

The fotoflame is one of the most misunderstood guitars me thinks. People see that name and snub their noses which really just makes those one of the best deals out there in the Strat world.

• Members

Thanks for the help guys. From the pics the guy sent me, the guitar in question looks like the red burst guitar, but with the 2 knob config of the second.

Is there an online resource that you can point me to for specs on this guitar?

• Members

Originally posted by Sparky6string

The fotoflame is one of the most misunderstood guitars me thinks. People see that name and snub their noses which really just makes those one of the best deals out there in the Strat world.

Very true.

• Members

Originally posted by D.House

Thanks for the help guys. From the pics the guy sent me, the guitar in question looks like the red burst guitar, but with the 2 knob config of the second.

Is there an online resource that you can point me to for specs on this guitar?

The tobacco strat is stock, my red one has a replacement pickguard, etc.

there's really not a huge online resource for these guitars that I've found, except for possibly this forum. Several of us own some of these guitars and have shared knowledge we've gained along the way.

I'll go into greater detail in my next post and let you know everything I know about these

• Members

The MIJ Fender Floyd Rose Squire Series guitar is based on the MIJ Fender Hot Rod Reissue.

The Hot Rod is basically the high end version in this series. They were made in the early 90s I believe.

The Hot Rod Reissue has the same fotoflame alder body with basswood cap. It has the same rosewood slab neck with medium jumbo frets.

The differences are:

HRR: 22 frets

Squier Series: 21 frets

HRR: Kluson Tuners

Squier Series: Covered tuners, not kluson

HRR: Contoured neck heel, with neck plate that says: Fender USA (even though it's MIJ)

SS: standard neck heel.

HRR: Original Floyd Rose

SS: Floyd Rose II made by Schaller

(note: and OFR will not retrofit, because the route is to shallow. The saddle locking screws stick out too far)

I believe the fretboards have a 12' radius, but I'm not sure. I'd have to measure again.

HRR: Recessed back plate (trem cover) route.

SS: no recess for trem cover plate.

So as you can see, the HRR has some custom shop features, where the Squier Series was the more affordable version but still basically the same.

The HRR also sometime came with a maple fretboard, whereas the SS never did.

• Members

Originally posted by Mazi Bee

The MIJ Fender Floyd Rose Squire Series guitar is based on the MIJ Fender Hot Rod Reissue.

The Hot Rod is basically the high end version in this series. They were made in the early 90s I believe.

The Hot Rod Reissue has the same fotoflame alder body with basswood cap. It has the same rosewood slab neck with medium jumbo frets.

The differences are:

HRR: 22 frets

Squier Series: 21 frets

HRR: Kluson Tuners

Squier Series: Covered tuners, not kluson

HRR: Contoured neck heel, with neck plate that says: Fender USA (even though it's MIJ)

SS: standard neck heel.

HRR: Original Floyd Rose

SS: Floyd Rose II made by Schaller

(note: and OFR will not retrofit, because the route is to shallow. The saddle locking screws stick out too far)

I believe the fretboards have a 12' radius, but I'm not sure. I'd have to measure again.

HRR: Recessed back plate (trem cover) route.

SS: no recess for trem cover plate.

So as you can see, the HRR has some custom shop features, where the Squier Series was the more affordable version but still basically the same.

The HRR also sometime came with a maple fretboard, whereas the SS never did.

wow. thanks for all this info. so then I can assume since you haven't listed the pickups, that they are the same in these two models?

• Members

wow. thanks for all this info. so then I can assume since you haven't listed the pickups, that they are the same in these two models?

I believe the HRR comes with a DiMarzio humbucker. Not sure about the singles, possible also American made.

My stock SS came with stock MIJ pickups, no identifying charactaristics that I noticed.

Also, the SS series comes stock with one volume, one tone and from what I've seen, the HRR comes with the usual 1 vol, 2 tone.

• Members

Of course people are going to snub their noses at fotoflame. After all it is most often just a picture of wood on a glue on paper decal that stuckon top of whatver the bodies made of, with poly finish over the top of it. Fotoflame is mainly used on low grade guitars. If a mfg wants a guitar to have maple, koa, or walnut etc top, use that wood! Instead of purposly deceiving those who look at the instrument. Its a cheopo eye appeal tactic imo. Lookee, nice quilt maple top! Its a paper decal! Some fotoflame users use chemical etching instead of glue on paper decal. But to me its still blatant lying and ndicates mfg cheapness. Even if its otherwise a nice guitar or bass.

• Members

Originally posted by Darkstorm

Of course people are going to snub their noses at fotoflame. After all it is most often just a picture of wood on a glue on paper decal that stuckon top of whatver the bodies made of, with poly finish over the top of it. Fotoflame is mainly used on low grade guitars. If a mfg wants a guitar to have maple, koa, or walnut etc top, use that wood! Instead of purposly deceiving those who look at the instrument. Its a cheopo eye appeal tactic imo. Lookee, nice quilt maple top! Its a paper decal! Some fotoflame users use chemical etching instead of glue on paper decal. But to me its still blatant lying and ndicates mfg cheapness. Even if its otherwise a nice guitar or bass.

While on some guitars this might be true, on the Fenders in this thread, there is no paper involved whatsoever.

• Members

I didn't buy mine for the flame top and actually could care less how it's done. The guitar plays perfectly, never goes out of tune, and sounds exceptional. That's all that matters.

BTW, a previous owner added the middle control pot. It's not hooked up to anything though.

The only changes I made are the Dimarzio Breed humbucker and an Original Floyd Rose.

FenderStrat2.jpg

• Members

*bump*

So I'm taking a look at the guitar tomorrow (Monday) night. Anybody else got any info, opinions on these?

I'm just really curious as to why these guitars are stamped "Squier Series," yet are not "Squier" guitars.

• Members

*bump*

So I'm taking a look at the guitar tomorrow (Monday) night. Anybody else got any info, opinions on these?

I'm just really curious as to why these guitars are stamped "Squier Series," yet are not "Squier" guitars.

This site will give you some more info about the origin of Fender Squier Series guitars:

http://squierjv.info/

"The first guitars were produced (without any mention of the Squier name) for the Japanese home market, but due to pressure from overseas (Europe in particular) for a budget Fender guitar, it was decided that Fender Japan would export some cost effective models under the Fender 'Squier series' name (In this case 'budget / cost effective' is not to be confused with the word 'inferior', as these early guitars were of a high quality; As high (in my opinion) as some of the domestic Japanese Fender models;"

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Mazi Bee,

Hi there. I have seen your Japan Fender stratocasters with the "floyd rose squier series" on the headstock. They are both beautiful guitars. I was just recently fortunate enough to find one like your "N" serial number strats with the two control knob configuration. Mine has the red sunburst Foto Flame like your three control strat has. Let me tell you how lucky I feel to have found this yet still am puzzled over it. When I found this guitar for sale, I scoured the internet to find an "N" serial numbered strat with the two knob configuration and ran into a dead end wall at almost every turn; then I found your thread and photos and almost jumped for joy. Wow, these guitars seemingly are very rare. I have 15 guitars and have never seen one like yours and mine. I took it to my local "excellant" guitar shop for a good set upand intoneation. The owner whose does the set ups said that he has never seen a strat like this one. He talked to a friend of his who is an expert and his friend provided about the same info that you have graciously provided on yours. My strat is in excellent condition an polished up beautifully. The headstock doesn't even have one flaw on it though the lower horn has a small finish check/crack. Is there any further information that you have on these guitars including their current and possible future collectability and HISTORY? I'd love to hear from you on this. Oh, if this gets posted I would like to thank the other folks that gave info on this guitar. Thanks for your forthcoming reply. Regards, Michael ( jmichael1980 )

• Members
:wave: I just posted a reply to Mazi Bee regarding his Japan Fender stratocaster "N" serial number with the "floyd rose squiers series on the headstock. I mentioned that I have scoured the internet and some knowledgeable guitars guys and this guitar evidently appears to be very rare. I have 15 guitars and have never seen this strat series with the two control knob configuration. I will be picking it up tomorrow from the shop where it's getting a pro setup and intoneation. The owner of the guitar store where it is being set up said that he has never seen a strat like this model. I'm excited to get it home to say the least. If anyone has any newer comments on this guitar I would very much appreciate hearing from you. I'll try to get a photo of it on this thread later; it is the red sunburst Foto Flame and looks really great. Let me say thanks ahead of time for anyone that can add to this guitars history. Thanks (jmichael1980)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
:) Nice to see All your Fender floyds here,just like to Share my,so called"Whitey",too,All stock since i bought this neglected guitar witnout the 3-original locking knot(& allen wrenches)just placed a fernandes knot temporarily,though,main real Big thing 'bout Whitey's body...made of PLY WOOD...! :facepalm: & a bit heavy for a ply..but still rocks!(still confused...,Japan doin'-Plywoods???):confused: i customiZed the Tone,now has a Pull-Push Switch,(i replaced the 2-single coil P.U.)'coZ of the Seymour Duncan neck & middle P.U.configuration can split...bridge P.U. just humbucker(stock)...now has the sound of a Tele,if selected...U ALL got Great Guitars here...Many Thanks,guyZ!!! :thu:

• Members

Agree.

Players go ape over swirl paint jobs, "gold" tops and even leather topped guitars... but put a thin sheet of pretty paper or wood veneer on top of a guitar and they automatically think it's junk.

We're a strange and silly bunch.

:facepalm:

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Cool {censored}! Finally found somwhere where my guitar fits in... Tobacco just like Mazi Bee's above. I got the following description in a reply from Fender Aust when I sent them the serial number (I've just done same request to fender.com also) to compare:Model:

MIJ Fender "SQ Series" Hot Rod Strat w/Floyd Rose

Bridge is a Floyd Rose II

Humbucker is a Dimarzio PAF Pro

Alder Body with "fotoflamed" basswood cap on the front & back of the body.

Reading the info above, I'm confused...... Dimarzio Pro, SQ Series Hot Rod but only 21 frets and 1 vol and 1 tone.... Arrrgh!

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Own one of this MIJ Squier series Floyd Rose strat,agree this is a good quality strat but don't like the Floyd Rose II bridge having a hard time trying to make it stay in tune, So want to find a better quality Bridge like Gotoh, But can't find any info on the dimensions of the Floyd Rose bridge II.. So my question... you know about a high quality replacement to make it even more stunning and useful ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Pete, is that a purple strat?  Did they make them that color?  What Floyd did you replace the FRII with?  Can you pull UP on the bar without any mods?  Mine goes out of tune also.  Any ideas?  Also , the intonation at the nut seems off......any info will help.  Thanks

Archived