Leslie West

Jimmy James

• Members

An interesting little fact about that single pickup Steinberger that Leslie used on that tour. There were only six ever made. Two for Leslie and two each for the guys in Status Quo. Phil Harris, guitar collector and hire company owner bought one of them from a Status Quo road crew member and is now a much loved part of his amazing collection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Approx. 1976, possibly '77....I was in need of an amp for gigging with my new, and first "serious" band. I went to 48th Street NYC....ended up in "We Buy Guitars". Leslie West had just been in there and traded in a bunch of stuff. I played his Electra MPC guitar with the built in modules, and I played his Hayman (not Hamer...Hayman) guitar which is actually on the cover of one of the import West, Bruce, Laing albums (I have it). Anyway....I was a HUGE Leslie West fan, always loved the guy. So of course I desperately wanted to own one of his guitars, and being a young dumb kid....I was also broke so I had no choice but to buy an amp. I ended up buying a Marshall Major Head (yea really needed that for the small clubs!)....anyway on my way out I see some Marshall cabinets with "Leslie West" stenciled on the back so I ask about them. The guy tells me...."You just bought Leslie West's head!". That "cool" lasted for awhile. The amp was great and I had it for quite awhile. I have never found any evidence that he actually used a Major, but then again the cabintes did have his name on it....but whatever that was a cool day. Next installment: Paul Stanley's black Firebird from Alive II cover. ;-)

Archived