Electric Guitars: Rules and Discussion

The Eristic

• Moderators

General rules:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1894264

Exception to above rules:

Spam is permitted in the SPAM Thread, nowhere else.

Designated "Official HCEG Luthiers" are allowed to discuss and display their work. They can only be given said status by me, and only after investing the time to make positive contributions to our forum.

Forum rules:

Electric Guitars is ON-TOPIC ONLY. That means any topic not related to electric guitars will be moved or deleted.

General list of topics that fall within the scope of the forum:

1. Electric guitar brands, models, accessories, etc...

2. Maintenance, Repair, Modification, Construction - setup, electronic work, parts, finishing, etc...

3. Technique

4. Players

5. Amps & effects

The following will be edited, locked, moved (to other public forums or to admin, depending on content) or deleted:

1. Acoustic & Acoustic-Electric guitars - I don't know why people occasionally like to post about them here, but they do. (Hybrids excluded.)

2. "Check out my band!" - I'm cracking down on this one. I don't mind soundclips of guitarists and gear, but promote your band in one of the general forums.

3. Posts exhibiting extreme redundancy* - Before you start a thread, let me point you to one of the most useful features ever created by man:

top_search.gif

Learn it, love it, use it. This is one of the largest and most active guitar forums around. We've covered just about everything at least once, so check to see if there are any relevant threads still in the system before starting your own, unless it's a highly specific question ("What pickup is best for metal, EMG or Duncan?" is NOT a highly specific question.)

If there are two or three recent threads on a topic, don't expect yours to get much airtime. Do expect ridicule from at least 1/3 of the forum. :^p

4. "HELP HELP OMGWTFBBQ HLEP PLZ NOW K?! SEX SEX SEX" threads - When you have a question, no matter how important or urgent the issue is to you, if your title does not give us a clue as to what the thread is about, many of us won't even open it. You will greatly increase your chances of getting a good reply with a clear title. All-caps, spaz and/or "trick" (ie, misleading) titles will be edited at my discretion.

5. "HEY DID YOU GUYS SEE/HEAR ABOUT RANDOM THING ON INTARWEB?!??!1" - Ebaumsworld is NOT funny.

6. Parody/joke/pointless threads - We generally don't have a problem with them, and I certainly don't have any issues with humour, but please don't start a whole new thread in this forum just to make a joke. Especially not a parody thread. They tend to get out of control real quick.

7. Troll/pointless/offensive/flame/political/religious threads - Self-explanatory. These go to Thread Jail, no questions asked.

8. Post Count Whoring - Just don't do it. Anywhere. I'll delete any occurence of it I see AND some of your other posts just to spite you. :^p

9. Crossposting - This is posting the same topic in multiple forums. Pick the appropriate forum of your choice and go with it.

*If applicable, please direct new members to the appropriate lounge and/or give the lounge a bump.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have a question or comment, ask here or PM me. I'm interested in feedback from all REGULAR POSTERS in this forum.

Thanks,

T.E.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i realize there's an acoustic guitar forum, but why no acoustic threads here? it happens sometimes, and sometimes you want advice from the people you post with all the time. IMO, as long as it relates to a guitar that has to be plugged in, it belongs in Electric Guitars.

can we get somebody to do this type of thing in FX? its getting to be WWIII in there because of the stealth moderation.

• Members

Quick question...

What's the official word on "reverse spam", ie Does anyone have a for sale type stuff?

On one hand, I could see leaving it in the Spam thread only, on the other hand, someone might be looking for something relatively rare and a potential seller isn't going to crawl the Spam thread waiting for someone to finally come looking for it (I realize in this instance they could just run an ad, but I hope you catch what I mean.)

Sorry if this was explicit (to you), but it's always been kind of a fuzzy area (to me).

//S

• Members

Let's just follow the rules. I found out the hard way. Those of you who saw the original sticky know what i mean. And while Ebaumsworld isn't funny anymore, break.com is from time to time. Nothing more from me except thanks for being easy and making this a sticky instead of the other one.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Help!I'maRock!

i realize there's an acoustic guitar forum, but why no acoustic threads here? it happens sometimes, and sometimes you want advice from the people you post with all the time. IMO, as long as it relates to a guitar that has to be plugged in, it belongs in Electric Guitars.

can we get somebody to do this type of thing in FX? its getting to be WWIII in there because of the stealth moderation.

The no acoustic thing is part of the attempt to make people realize that Electrics was not intended to be a "general" type of discussion forum. If you'll think back, the creation of these forums was driven primarily by members who primarily played acoustics. They wanted a group of specialized forums, so they wouldn't have to wade through all the electric threads that populated the Guitar forum. So, they don't talk about electric guitars in their forum, we don't talk about acoustics in ours. (Note the caveat about hyrbids - if an instrument is primarily electric, though its intent is to produce an amplified "acoustic" sound, it's ok here.)

I do think more of "our" members should stick ours heads in over there, though, since many of the folks that founded the forum have moved on to APM. It's ripe for the taking. ;^)

About FX, there seems to be no pleasing the people over there. You've seen how many of them react when the ideas of moderation and/or rules come up. They've been "stealth moderated" by admin the entire time the forum has been in existence, though. There just happens to be several new, more active admins now. 8^|

• Moderators

Originally posted by batotman

Did MF put you up to this? Those BASTARDS!!!!

:D

So whats with the post count deal? I hope they leave it, its good to be on top!
:)

Acoustics....ewwww. I also think the wangcaster and ed roman threads should be banned!

I have never purchased anything from MF, and probably never will. Nothing against them, they just have nothing I want, as well as prices I can easily beat locally.

:^p

The official word on post count:

"Post counts were accidentally updated to only count posts that were still in the system (old posts that were deleted to make space are not included in the new post counts).

While we probably can't restore the original numbers perfectly, we are looking at how to at least close to them."

Personally, I lost about 15k. Some of mine were actually helpful, too.

:^|

There can never be enough Ed Roman hate. I should start a Lounge for it.

:^D

• Moderators

Originally posted by Shocker

Quick question...

What's the official word on "reverse spam", ie Does anyone have a
for sale type stuff?

//S

I've never had a problem with WTB posts. One of my original policies (WAY back) was that spam was allowed only in a WTB thread. The reason being I did not and do not want people coming here just to make a buck off of our community.

I didn't allow ANY F/S/T for a long time, but I talked with some members I've known and respected, and decided a Spam Thread would be an effective way of allowing our members to sell and trade with each other, enhancing the community experience, while letting me (and admin when I'm not here) control the flow and quality of spam easily.

Keeping it all in one thread discourages some of the hit-and-run types who do not contribute to (or even hang out in) the forum, as they know their ad will not get much visibility compared to individual threads (that should not be an issue to those who are active here and see it as the community's trading post); should they choose to willfully ignore the forum convention, they will be exposed as nothing more than pure spammers who will be dealt with both by the forumites and the moderation.

• Members

Thanks Eristic!

One of the reasons I hang out here is because it *IS* moderated. I come here to gain or share electric guitar advice, mixed with a dose of humor. I'm not here to participate in flame-fests or off-topic discussions about last night's awards show (heck I probably worked the award show broadcast and didn't pay much attention to it then either ;) ).

One tip I'd offer to everyone. Rather than reply to topics that don't belong here, thus bumping them to the top :mad: , use the REPORT THIS POST TO A MODERATOR button. This helps keep the forum from turning into another Open Jam.

~Blackbelt

• Members

Originally posted by BlackHatHunter

Great job moderating this forum. I run way too many websites, most of them w/ a forum, and I know the time and effort it takes. Thanks for the hard and high-quality work.

I totally agree! Excellent job and thanks for the work that you do here for free. .:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by The Eristic

I've never had a problem with WTB posts. One of my original policies (WAY back) was that spam was allowed only in a WTB thread. The reason being I did not and do not want people coming here just to make a buck off of our community.

I didn't allow ANY F/S/T for a long time, but I talked with some members I've known and respected, and decided a Spam Thread would be an effective way of allowing our members to sell and trade with each other, enhancing the community experience, while letting me (and admin when I'm not here) control the flow and quality of spam easily.

Keeping it all in one thread discourages some of the hit-and-run types who do not contribute to (or even hang out in) the forum, as they know their ad will not get much visibility compared to individual threads (that should not be an issue to those who are active here and see it as the community's trading post); should they choose to willfully ignore the forum convention, they will be exposed as nothing more than pure spammers who will be dealt with both by the forumites and the moderation.

How about a 'For Sale/Wanted' forum? Just a thought...

• Members

Originally posted by Dougy

How about a 'For Sale/Wanted' forum? Just a thought...

Isn't that kinda what the classifieds are supposed to provide? Between the classifieds, the spam thread and spamming the other forums, how many places to people need to list their stuff for sale here?

• Members

I agree with your comments on redundancy. When I did searches in this forum I found the same threads repeating themselves over and over. Still a helpful tool though;) The search tool saved me from posting several threads in the past few months. Thanks for keeping it here!

• Members

Originally posted by k4df4l

Isn't that kinda what the classifieds are supposed to provide? Between the classifieds, the spam thread and spamming the other forums, how many places to people need to list their stuff for sale here?

:o

Who didn't bother to look at non-forum parts of the site?

Me.

:o

Anyway, now you've straightened out Electric Guitars, how about stopping people from posting their personal/emotional problems in Guitar Jam....

;)

• Members

Originally posted by The Eristic

I have never purchased anything from MF, and probably never will. Nothing against them, they just have nothing I want, as well as prices I can easily beat locally.

:^p

The official word on post count:

"Post counts were accidentally updated to only count posts that were still in the system (old posts that were deleted to make space are not included in the new post counts).

While we probably can't restore the original numbers perfectly, we are looking at how to at least close to them."

Personally, I lost about 15k. Some of mine were actually helpful, too.

:^|

There can never be enough Ed Roman hate. I should start a Lounge for it.

:^D

How dare you blaspheme MF! I hope they take you down a notch or two! :D

Yeah if you want to put my post count back I had 127,462 before. I think its now 127,651 now. :D

• Members

Originally posted by Sparky6string

pic of sparky, post sex change, kissing my "donkey"

Think about it..IMHO, his moderation of this forum has been very unobtrusive and fair. I haven't seen any instances of heavy handed moderation or censorship. Plus, putting up with the likes of all of us for no financial compensation is quite a task. Saying thanks for that taint nuthin.

• Members

Originally posted by k4df4l

Think about it..IMHO, his moderation of this forum has been very unobtrusive and fair. I haven't seen any instances of heavy handed moderation or censorship. Plus, putting up with the likes of all of us for no financial compensation is quite a task. Saying thanks for that taint nuthin.

:D I'm just kidding bro. I agree with you also, although coming down on certain asshats wouldn't bother me too much. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Sparky6string

I'm just kidding bro. I agree with you also, although coming down on certain asshats wouldn't bother me too much.
:thu:

;) you know I love ya buddy

#4-9 sound like a good start on weeding out the asshat population. Not being able to delete threads anymore prb helps too.

Archived