Project: HCEG Thinline

warriorpoet

• Members

OK, here's the plan:

I've gleaned so much knowledge from this place in the time I've been here, and met so many excellent craftsmen and artisans, I thought I'd give 'em a shot to strut their stuff for my benefit.

The concept:

ViolinTeleUSACG-1.jpg

violintelefinalfinish.jpg

I was helping my daughter practice her violin the other day when it struck me how cool a guitar that would make. Combine that with my long-held TeleGAS, and we have a project!

Plans and Orders (to be updated as neccessary):

Body: Warmoth Thinline- Mahogany back, AAA Flame front, P90 neck/ Tele SC bridge See pics

Neck: USACG unfinished Texas Blues Wenge/ Ebony drilled for Grover Locking tuners, Graphite nut, 6105 frets, no inlay See pics

Electronics: GFS P90/ Repro 1960's HOT, 4-way wiring harness w/ treble bleed See pics

Hardware: Grover Mini-Rotomatic locking tuners, Callaham stainless hardware inc. Electrosocket See pics

color code: blue- ordered, orange- received, red- completed

A Big Thanks to the Contributers:

Brian Mason (atrox)- Mad fret dressing, leveling and nut working skilz. No job is complete without a setup man

Mr. Andrew Coholic (ajcoholic)- Unsurpassed ability to get forumites drooling at his builds, settling for paint this time about

USA Custom Guitars- Especially Tommy Rosamond, for all his help and willingness to go "above and beyond"

Jay Abend (Guitarfetish)- 6' 4" guy from Queens, Thanks for providing expertise and an excellent set of GFS pickups

Peter Neyra (pete n./ _pete_)- Harness soldering, benevolent donor of 4-way switch, Project Quality Control (he wanted to play it...)

Sean Duggan (Ratae Coritanorum)- Crazy islander with a fist full of wax; neck finish artisan extraordinaire

Warmoth Direct- For providing a wonderful, quality body, and fueling many late-night dream sessions

John Gruber (jmgruber) - Pacific Northwesterner, lover of God and guitars. Purveyor of fine used cases.

Current Status:

1. 'Tis Here!. It's FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBUUUULOOOOUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

Czech back often! ;)

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How 'bout that! I've been thinking about doing a Thineline as well. I saw some really nice bodies at Warmoth's site, I just don't know which one to pick yet. I haven't decided on a neck yet. I like your idea of a P90 in the neck position, I have a couple of spare ones sitting around in black. I might use one of those. I think I would prefer a modern Tele bridge however. :wave:

• Members
How 'bout that! I've been thinking about doing a Thineline as well. I saw some really nice bodies at Warmoth's site, I just don't know which one to pick yet. I haven't decided on a neck yet. I like your idea of a P90 in the neck position, I have a couple of spare ones sitting around in black. I might use one of those. I think I would prefer a modern Tele bridge however.
:wave:

If we make them exactly alike, someone might think we copied each other ;)

• Members
i'd go with planet waves tuners over the locking grovers. the grovers work fine but the hole for the string is too high. the low e likes to pop off the nut occasionally on the guitar i have them on

Which guitar? They worked fine for me on a strat neck.

• Members

Oh yeah mate, bump away. Awesome plan. I love it. Was thinking of a black P-90 too, but nawh, too black is right. How about a chrome one :D would go well will the good old Tele bridge.

Mucho jealousness. Good work!

- Ged

• Members

So you wanted that heavily relic'd, correct? ;)

Just in case anyone asks, you did the finish if it looks poor, if it turns out good you can mention my name... :D :D

All kidding aside, was that a lime green, or metallic purple?

I joke, I joke!

Ahhh isnt april 1st coing up soon?

AJC

PS I may swap that body out with one of my poplar ones... did I just say that out loud?

• Members

So you wanted that heavily relic'd, correct?
;)

Just in case anyone asks, you did the finish if it looks poor, if it turns out good you can mention my name...
:D

I joke, I joke!

AJC

PS I may swap that body out with one of my poplar ones... did I just say that out loud?

I can't wait to finally make a fretless neck!!!!! I'm just gonna lay it flat on the belt sander till the frets are flat. :eek::thu:

• Members

I can't wait to finally make a fretless neck!!!!! I'm just gonna lay it flat on the belt sander till the frets are flat.
:eek::thu:

You should then send it to me so I can match the same lime green paint on the back of the neck and headstock. WHo the hell wants to see all that wenge anyhow? Ick!:freak:

Now, that warriorpoet is a trusting guy sending stuff all over the place isnt he?:wave:

AJC

• Members

So you wanted that heavily relic'd, correct?
;)

Just in case anyone asks, you did the finish if it looks poor, if it turns out good you can mention my name...

I joke, I joke!

AJC

You guys are terrible.

BTW, anyone know a regular forumite that does wiring harnesses? I sent VC an email, but if there are others, it'd be nice to know :)

• Members

You guys are terrible.

BTW, anyone know a regular forumite that does wiring harnesses? I sent VC an email, but if there are others, it'd be nice to know
:)

Whaddya have in mind?

It looks like a basic scheme. Are you wanting something different?

• Members

Whaddya have in mind?

It looks like a basic scheme. Are you wanting something different?

Well...

1. 2x CTS 500k pots

2. treble bleed

3. 1x 4-way Mega Switch

4. Electrosocket

5. appropriately sized Sprague Orange Drop caps

...not too terribly difficult.

Archived